Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2Y Toyota Engine what 5sp gearbox will fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD 2Y Toyota Engine what 5sp gearbox will fit?

Hi Brains Trust - apologies if this has been asked and answered I'm a newbie.
    I have just bought an '89 Hilux - one owner vehicle from a 90yo man (ex-cop) who really looked after it. I'm happy with it, but I get it on the highway and it revs so hard to get it to 100km/h I'd like to put a 5sp gearbox in it. Can anyone tell me what gearbox I should be looking for in the wreckers yards? The current 4speed according to the VIN plate is L40 G252 if that helps.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Sharmo; 06-07-21, 01:21 PM.

probably not much help but my auto hilux has a 4Y engine, I have no idea what revs it is actually doing on the highway at 110 but it seems to love it and is hence fine.

Maybe the auto diffs have a taller ratio? could be simpler to swap out but i'd say hilux diffs are still in high demand.

Comment

L50s will be a swap in, but they are fairly rare.
      W50 will also fit both tailshaft, input, and bell housing but may need some minor fabrication to get the crossmember and column linkages to work.
      Chris
      ------
      The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Also paging Andrew Bolt who can probably remember more details.
        Chris
        ------
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I'd almost guarantee fitting a 5 speed is a total WOFTAM, the 2Y likely has to rev that high to reach the required output to move a Hilux at that speed, a taller gear will likely achieve nothing because the engine hasn't the grunt to drive it.
          " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Originally posted by Roy928tt View Post
            I'd almost guarantee fitting a 5 speed is a total WOFTAM, the 2Y likely has to rev that high to reach the required output to move a Hilux at that speed, a taller gear will likely achieve nothing because the engine hasn't the grunt to drive it.
            Nah, engine has grunt to drive it. They came in 5sp a year or so later with the same 2Y engine (before they swapped chassis) and it was fine at highway speeds. The issue is that the 4sp is geared too highly that it sits above the torque band at highway speeds.

Same as the 2F/3F with the 4sp vs 5sp in the middle of their run. Changing the gearbox enables actual highway speeds.
            Chris
            ------

Comment

OK, I'll stand corrected.
              " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

I think the obvious answer is gear vendors

Comment

L50 is the box you want but as takai said, hard to find. Probably need all the linkages and possibly even the shifting column. W50 is the essentially the same box but will be floor shift only - totally understand not hacking up the transmission tunnel to go floor shift if you have a pristine example.

You could also use a later G series gearbox but you're probably going to have to get a bit clever with the linkage stuff.
                  Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
                  Originally posted by ALLMTR
                  Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Comment

Thanks everyone - I'll put the feelers out.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Bolt View Post
                      L50 is the box you want but as takai said, hard to find. Probably need all the linkages and possibly even the shifting column. W50 is the essentially the same box but will be floor shift only - totally understand not hacking up the transmission tunnel to go floor shift if you have a pristine example.

You could also use a later G series gearbox but you're probably going to have to get a bit clever with the linkage stuff.
                      It is a floor shift (which I probably should have mentioned at the outset) I can get a W56 box locally. I googled the differences between the two and its just slight differences with the ratios. Should I do it?

Comment

Oh in that case, absolutely.
                        Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
                        Originally posted by ALLMTR
                        Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Comment

Oh yeah. That will be easy. Just depends on what bell housing is on the W56. It’s probably a 3RZ one and I can’t remember if that is the same as 2Y
                          Chris
                          ------

Comment

Working...
                          X