Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Ranger 6R80 6-speed auto & transfer case bolts up to _______ ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Ranger 6R80 6-speed auto & transfer case bolts up to _______ ?

Maybe somebody knows this already....

Are there any modern Ford 4-cylinder turbo petrol motors that would bolt straight up to the 6R80 6-speed auto from a PX or PX2 Ranger?

Basically looking for a modern 4WD driveline to put in an old Land Rover, and the idea of a Ranger as a donor springs to mind.

But there's always a catch, the guy doesn't want diesel. So the 2.2 or 3.2 Ranger diesels won't make the cut.

And a turbo inline 4 makes the most sense from a packaging perspective, so V6's and V8's are out.

Haltech can run the TCM in the Ford 6R80 box (so i'm told) and the Ranger transfer case is a fairly dumb thing compared to the late model LR ones so shouldn't be too hard to make work.

Just need a suitable turbo 4-banger, Duratec, Ecoboost, Zetec, WTF

It'd be nice if a 2.0L Ecoboost from a Falcon just bolted straight up, pics I can find online they look like a similar bellhousing to the 2.2L diesel...
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 16-10-21, 03:22 PM.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
    Originally posted by nutttr
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

PK or PX?

Comment

Derp, I meant PX or PX2
      People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Comment

Pretty sure the Mustang 2.3 ecoboost was bolted to the 6R80 box.

Think the Coyote was too.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Ecoboost has two different bellhousings. One that’s shared with Duratecs (and the Mazda cousins) and one that’s very similar but not quite the same. I’m ignoring the <2.0 Ecoboosts and Duratecs - they’re a Zetec pattern.

I am pretty sure the Diesel and the Duratec housings are very close, there was a Transit van manual that some mob was screwing to Ecoboosts and selling turnkey manual RWD setups.
          ---
          Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Cheers kents, but we probably have to go back to the drawing board now, I just realised that the PX Ranger has the forward propshaft on the left, would need it on the right otherwise the front diff of the Landy would have to be changed too...

Comment

Can prolly get CAD of the Ranger bell housing mounting face if that helps.... Assuming manual and auto are the same.

Guy who bought my old Ranger (dead engine) bolted an LS1 to the Ranger 6 speed with an adaptor he CAD'd up and had made.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
                Cheers kents, but we probably have to go back to the drawing board now, I just realised that the PX Ranger has the forward propshaft on the left, would need it on the right otherwise the front diff of the Landy would have to be changed too...
                Matching diff ratios?

Comment

Diff ratios is further down the list of problems.

Bigger issue is that the LR front diff has the centre/pinion offset to the drivers side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 10-17-21 at 08.11 AM.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	7304600

PX Ranger has the forward driveshaft running down the passenger side, so would need a completely different front axle to go that way...

My old man has a PK Ranger, and I remembered the driveshaft was on the drivers side, I assumed the PX would be the same, but I was wrong...

Comment

With the amount of effort you’re going to just put a Land Rover body onto a PX chassis. Then you’ll even have brakes that work

Comment

Mustang Ecoboost apparently uses the 6R80.

Comment

Isn't the rear diff offset also, or are you changing the rear axle assembly to a centrally located housing? But like lukevl says, it looks like a massive effort.
                        Wouldn't something in front of a LR LT230 transfer case be easier? Like a ZF auto from a Discovery?

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                          With the amount of effort you’re going to just put a Land Rover body onto a PX chassis. Then you’ll even have brakes that work
                          You make it sound so simple!

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                          Mustang Ecoboost apparently uses the 6R80.
                          Right but I had a suspicion that there were different bellhousings as in not all 6R80's are the same, and the idea of the Ranger one having a transfer case already on it would have made it easier, not that it matters now...

Originally posted by elfturbomax View Post
                          Isn't the rear diff offset also, or are you changing the rear axle assembly to a centrally located housing?
                          That's also true... but rear axle would be less of a head fuck than the front....

Originally posted by elfturbomax View Post
                          Wouldn't something in front of a LR LT230 transfer case be easier? Like a ZF auto from a Discovery?
                          Thought crossed my mind but the ZF 4HP's are really old and shit now, so there'd be $$$$ in rebuilding them, and then it's still a matter of adapting to a modern 4cyl at the front end.

The idea of a Ford parts-bin approach was appealing because the Rangers are stacked six-high at the wreckers, likewise the 2.0L Ecoboosts.

Rebuilding old Land Rover shit is not cheap, and at the end of the day it's still old Land Rover shit. The guy is looking for a modern driveline.

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                            You would never get it registered.

Comment

There’s always a way. And sometimes its legal

Comment

Working...
                              X