Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRD,
    I do agree with you here. I run E85 in my 1200 coupe, and can understand the need. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on what you are using) Our focus of development has moved to M1 where our new platform will allow us to do things such as E85 in a far more sophisticated manner using the VE fuel model.

We have actually priced our M1 ECU's at a good price I believe given there more modern platform. With an M130, for $2800 (inc), you now get an ECU with a flexible package that provides
    • Full DSP windowed Knock control (multiple sensors)
    • DBW
    • CAM cntl
    • Logging
    • Plus all the usual Motec features without having to buy any upgrades.

But no Flex fuel support yet. That should come in an upcoming update...

The M800 and M84 are mostly the same, yes, just a reduced feature set....

-Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by cossie55 View Post
      TRD,
      I do agree with you here. I run E85 in my 1200 coupe, and can understand the need. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on what you are using) Our focus of development has moved to M1 where our new platform will allow us to do things such as E85 in a far more sophisticated manner using the VE fuel model.

We have actually priced our M1 ECU's at a good price I believe given there more modern platform. With an M130, for $2800 (inc), you now get an ECU with a flexible package that provides
      • Full DSP windowed Knock control (multiple sensors)
      • DBW
      • CAM cntl
      • Logging
      • Plus all the usual Motec features without having to buy any upgrades.

But no Flex fuel support yet. That should come in an upcoming update...

The M800 and M84 are mostly the same, yes, just a reduced feature set....

-Jamie
      what is frustrating is I have no need for any of those other features in this case for a Cressida Wagon, it would just be nice to chuck a tank of E85 in for shits and giggles and turn the ridiculousness of a supercharged 1UZ up to 11 (My Soarer is the intended target for my M800 it will need drive by wire, cam/boost control etc)

Discussing ECU's with a few mates some of whom work in the "performance" scene, only the big dollar projects really need the M800 or better level of ECU's and in those cases cost is rarely an issue, the normal customer is going to want it just to run right and not blow up for minimal money and E85 is one important need to get the best performance value out of the money invested in the engine, haltech seem to be handing out free bj's to their dealers lately as just about every workshop pushes the haltech gear no questions asked and the only motec product at that price point wont do flex fuel seems a bit odd, have motec thrown the baby out with the bath water ditching the hundred series too soon before the M1 series is ready to go? seems like haltech are going hard at the street / club level market.

By the way for the M1... transmission control would be nice something along the lines of the PCS TCM-2000 without the windows 95 software interface!
      Originally posted by ALLMTR
      the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

Fwiw the new sprint 500 replacement will do flex fuel but it's a whole away,

Haltech dealers sell the products as their dealer layout is very good the more you sell the better the price and the products just work and is perfect for street and club level as well at 6sec drag cars
        im a cunt
        and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

Originally posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
          CAN dashes are defiantly something I would suggest are Mx00 series, if you want v8 supercar features you pay v8 supercar price, I see the M84 as a street / club level ecu, most of the cheaper dashes can operate stand alone

Yeah it can be done with the external flex fuel sensor controllers it's just far from as elegant as the Mx00 series and extra crap that could go wrong and toast your motor.

not saying be cheaper (I personally would happily pay more than what an external flex sensor controler is worth) or a feature over what is already available for the Mx00 series, also unless your going E98 "strait ethy" does not exist from the pump
          What I meant is a set-and-forget, *any* % ethanol blend, tuned on the safe side obviously without the 'dynamic' feedback approach of proper flex fuel options.

And cheap(er) than the big boy MoTeCs, which, as I'm sure we all know, is a cost-prohibitive thing :p Depends on your definition of cheap.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bummer and even affects me directly - M84 going onto my own car with E85anol. But again it's a cost-effective way to get yourself into an M ECU - the prestige of which is mostly held in that unparalleled after-market support.

Comment

yes, we have seen a lot of competitor product going out for free over the last few years, but that is how marketing works. It isn't something we do though.

We haven't ditched the M800 / M84 range at all, but development is definitely aimed at M1 rather than M800.

I do see your point re the Flex fuel, and don't disagree.

One thing is that we see our main market as race cars. Race cars would generally run a known fuel mix (ie E85) so flex fuel sensors are more commonly a road car thing.

This doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense, but for our main market, it isnt as high a priority as it is for road cars.

-Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by cossie55 View Post
              yes, we have seen a lot of competitor product going out for free over the last few years, but that is how marketing works. It isn't something we do though.

We haven't ditched the M800 / M84 range at all, but development is definitely aimed at M1 rather than M800.

I do see your point re the Flex fuel, and don't disagree.

One thing is that we see our main market as race cars. Race cars would generally run a known fuel mix (ie E85) so flex fuel sensors are more commonly a road car thing.

This doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense, but for our main market, it isnt as high a priority as it is for road cars.

-Jamie
              Cool, thank you for taking the time to respond.

just to clarify you mean Drum E85 / E98? as I have not seen pump E85 be too constant between fills from the pump.
              the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

Originally posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
                Haltech dealers sell the products as their BJ's are very good
                Fixed on a serious note it is impressive marketing, the Haltech brand has come along way very quickly.

Comment

Motec M84 - flex fuel options

That's what happens when you have a product that works.. Good marketing helps

Fwiw I have paid for all the Haltech gear in my cars..
                  im a cunt

Comment

In saying that motec has its market and its higher end users, their product is world class and has been since the beginning,
                    im a cunt

Comment

I sadly have paid for all the MoTeC bits in my car too... Damn it...

Quite right about the markets. We don't really aim our products at quite the same market at Haltech, although there can be some overlap.

I used to mix my own E85 (from straight ethanol and 98) but have found the liberty 98 to be consistent enough for my racing.

-Jamie

Comment

Its amazing how far its all come now.
                        I remember Screw driver Microguess, Phone book sized Motecs and all the old DOS ECUs plus Hand controller Jobs, Back in that era Haltechs were a real pain in the Ass and the old owners not helpful but i'm pleased to say thats all long gone.
                        GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Comment

Working...
                        X