• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Ardunio Project

Came across this yesterday:

https://projectmechatronics.blogspot...on-system.html

https://github.com/ProjectMechatroni...isition-System

Guy has obviously implemented in on an FSAE car as per vid below, so there's clearly a relatively simple expansion capability in the code to hook up a tonne of sensors.

Now I'm admittedly a fucking retard with electronics. Anyone here particularly talented with arduino stuff that could have a peek at this and see how easy/simple it would be to implement? Scope for 3D accelerometer and GPS add-on? The info on the blokes sit is pretty sparse

I'm dead keen on logging:
    4x wheel speed sensors (inductive pickup ring = low voltage sine-wave signal)
    4x suspension height sensors (rotating pots)
    1x 3D accelerometer
    1x GPS

Ie, suspension stuff, not engine (which I can log without extra sensors directly through OBD2 port)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sbgXx3QVB4c

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sbgXx3QVB4c

Ps mods, sorry just realised I put this in engine management, feel free to move it if it's not quite right in here.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

It looks good! No time to check out the code but it should be pretty straight forward if he gives you inputs and you know how to scale analogue to digital (ADC)'s
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

just get a Motec CDL3, logging is only a small part of it the i2 software is awesome!
      Originally posted by ALLMTR
      the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

I've chucked one in my car which is fairly basic but gets data out of a bunch of sensors and displays on screen (and logs if required/plugged in).

There are easy ways to simply get data straight from the OBD2 into the arduino if you have the luxury of that information being sent, or you tap into the direct feed.
        I've put a few things like VSS which gives a raw voltage which you then perform a bunch of rotation calcs on, same with some other sensors which are resistive.
        Grounding is a key thing (arduino must ground to car to measure voltage) and anything over 5v will require an external voltage sensor.

If you don't know a huge amount about it, really need to jump in and learn to get it working for a specific task, it's next to impossible to code this stuff remotely.

(in-dash screen)

(temp wiring)
        Website Developer/Designer - PF discount, enquire within
        VE Senator LS2 - no powerchip

Comment

After small and simple Allen, just a simple logger, not a complex retail solution

Jason, I've tracked the guy down in Facebook and sent him some questions. Going to try and get a copy of the full code he used for the FSAE car, not just the 'intro' stuff he's posted.

Seems like it could be a good thing
          Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

I've been wanting to learn arduino for years, but avoiding it. This might be the thing to finally push me into it,
            Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

Originally posted by doctor ed View Post
              After small and simple Allen, just a simple logger, not a complex retail solution
              The CDL3 can plug into your stock ECU OBDII port and get what data it offers...

good data logging is one of those things you do not value enough until you have it, try the Arduino on the go-kart not the road car!
              the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

buy one now, they are dirt cheap on ebay. Maybe start with a mega as they are cheaper and easier than frigging around with multiplexers to get more I/O.

No idea on the video side of it.

I built and used one of these (it's just a shield with an SD card interface and a RTC really) to do datalogging, it logs to .csv and you view the logs with excel, pretty useful but doesn't look like what you are after.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1141

If you don't have an ECU you could consider a megasquirt, the higher spec versions do datalogging (and autotune and all sorts of good shit)

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                  buy one now, they are dirt cheap on ebay. Maybe start with a mega as they are cheaper and easier than frigging around with multiplexers to get more I/O.

No idea on the video side of it.

I built and used one of these (it's just a shield with an SD card interface and a RTC really) to do datalogging, it logs to .csv and you view the logs with excel, pretty useful but doesn't look like what you are after.
                  https://www.adafruit.com/product/1141

If you don't have an ECU you could consider a megasquirt, the higher spec versions do datalogging (and autotune and all sorts of good shit)
                  I dunno, that doesn't look bad. I don't need anything super complicated, I just want to be able to plot and compare suspension movement/height before and after aero changes. Also 4x wheel speed so I can look at slip and lockup. GPS for position and speed a bonus to make interpretation easier.

Video and OBD stuff I just run through to the phone via HLT and GoPro. Proper OBD logging I can do through dash command. There's enough in there to keep me occupied.

Allen, dash logger can't do the analogue (pot) inputs x4 for the suspension
                  Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

I dunno, that doesn't look bad. I don't need anything super complicated, I just want to be able to plot and compare suspension movement/height before and after aero changes. Also 4x wheel speed so I can look at slip and lockup. GPS for position and speed a bonus to make interpretation easier.

Video and OBD stuff I just run through to the phone via HLT and GoPro. Proper OBD logging I can do through dash command. There's enough in there to keep me occupied.
                    you could add GPS and accelerometer to that thing but I have a hunch you would run out of inputs pretty quick, especially if you wanted a display too.

if you just want to view the logs then that would be a good place to start. the code it comes with isn't very sophisticated, I altered it so it would name the files with the date and time instead of "file 1, file 2, file 3" which made it much nicer to find what I was looking for when viewing logs. probably worth buying even if you end up using something else (like a mega with a seperate RTC and SD card etc hooked up) as you know all the hardware will work and the program will run, then you can work out why it works and go from there.

You would need to do some signal conditioning on the wheel speed sensors and probably make voltage dividers but that shouldn't be too hard to get working.

something liek this http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Land-Rov...-/152447066249 would be good for suspension travel, probably a potentiometer inside but would be fairly water proof and not have to fuck around with linkages, come to think of it I have a long term project which these would work good for but I need 24 of them.

Comment

Allen, dash logger can't do the analogue (pot) inputs x4 for the suspension
                      yeah it can...

Inputs
                      Provision for 4 x analogue voltage high resolution inputs
                      Provision for 2 x analogue temperature inputs
                      2 x Digital inputs
                      3 x Speed inputs with voltage measuring capability
                      Compatible with E888 expander (8 Thermocouples only)
                      Outputs
                      4 x PWM, switched or digital outputs

Was not included early on but now standard...

http://www.motec.com.au/latestnews/cdl3pricereduction/

Comment

Ok, yeah, it does. But I just looked a little further ... +$2k ?!
                        LOL, no.
                        Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

With the arduino, if I'm getting optimistic with the number of inputs, I could drop the wheel speed sensors. So 10hz GPS, 3 axis accelerometer, 4x suspension position inputs (could repurpose some simple 3 pin TPS's as rotary pots).

That would be a ton of data
                          Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

If you condition the signal right you could use digital inputs to read wheel speed

an arduino uno(etc) has 6 analog inputs and 14 digital (though I think 2 of these are used to communicate with the logger)

on the analog side:

accelerometer X axis
                            accelerometer Y axis
                            accelerometer Z axis

suspension sensor lefty
                            suspension sensor righty
                            suspension sensor backy
                            suspension sensor backy junior

so you're over capacity already.

I think you will have enough digital inputs for the GPS (2 pins or so) and 4 wheel speed frequency inputs.

on the suspension position you will want a "zero" in your code so you can hit a tare (for want of a better word) button when you are sitting on flat ground and it will use that value as zero, then log positive and negative values relative to that.

Comment

To my naive eye, the Leonardo board looks like it could do the necessary?

Then there's this:
                              https://www.adafruit.com/product/1272

That with a Leonardo board and the hardware is looking sorted?
                              Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

Working...
                              X