Black Box PDM's

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So much for a productive thread about PDM's.

Comment

you shouldn't be using the e888 Comms modes to talk to the emtron. I'm betting racegrade have fucked up the e888 message framing in the firmware If dale sees the issue in haltechs too. if you read the manual for the tc8 the first 4 modes 0,1,2,3 all use the e888 messaging format that sends lots of useless information like cold junction etc. Use can mode 4 of the tc8, create a custom RX frame in the emtron with 8 words starting at your tc8 device address and read egt1 to 8 in big endian. The value coming in is in 0.1 degrees. They can't fuck that up that framing code.

Otherwise use a canbus USB adapter and use their config software that also displays the temps from the unit

Oo___oO

Comment

Thanks mate.

Comment

Yeah so putting the PDM on hold for the moment, unless something better comes out, picking up a HP8441 over in Austria next year.

Comment

Originally posted by burn is weird View Post
            you shouldn't be using the e888 Comms modes to talk to the emtron. I'm betting racegrade have fucked up the e888 message framing in the firmware If dale sees the issue in haltechs too. if you read the manual for the tc8 the first 4 modes 0,1,2,3 all use the e888 messaging format that sends lots of useless information like cold junction etc. Use can mode 4 of the tc8, create a custom RX frame in the emtron with 8 words starting at your tc8 device address and read egt1 to 8 in big endian. The value coming in is in 0.1 degrees. They can't fuck that up that framing code.

Otherwise use a canbus USB adapter and use their config software that also displays the temps from the unit
            I used mode 4 not 0-3... the haltech does not accept a e888 can config
            im a cunt
            and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

Well I guess they're fucked! I'm out of ideas

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Oo___oO

Comment

I use a ecu master egt box. It was $150aud. It only runs at about 4hz update due to probably only having a single ADC that must be multiplexed to sample the 8 channels but that's fast enough for my needs. Works perfect and is cheap as fuck. you can disassemble easily to solder a termination resistor over the can hi/lo pins inside to make the wiring neater.

https://rrrshop.co.uk/8egt2can---8-t...dule-403-p.asp

this was a stop/start log hence the jumps between pulls. also cyl 6 is a bit cold but as it is an RB26 with standard intake manifold I wasn't game to lean it out until we looked at the plugs!

Oo___oO

Comment

I can say that I've seen similar issues in EGT data coming from an AIM EVO4S to a Link G4+ over CAN, when I screwed up the CAN receive frames on the Link :p After I sorted out the configuration is was nice and smooth without the random spikes/drops

Comment

What was the issue with the CAN framing you had?

Comment

I'd screwed up the framing to be most significant first instead of least significant, was shocked it was actually transmitting semi-sensible figures at all. Was flying blind though as AIM weren't that forthcoming with their smartycam frame format

Comment

with the ecu master egt box can you configure the CAN data to replicate a Haltech EGT box. or does anyone have the Haltech EGT CAN Protocol info?

Comment

nah it just spits out 8 channels of temperature data over 16 bytes, two bytes per channel. scaling is 1=0.1degC. you can select little or big endian and chose a CAN address but thats it.

Oo___oO

Comment

Haltech can stuff you can pull from plex software.
                            Originally posted by Bosshoggett
                            If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Comment

I've managed to talk myself out of the HP Electronik unit.
                              - cost of it and the keypad comes out to only $170 cheaper than the Motec PDM30, UTC adaptor and 15 button keypad
                              - HP PDM has to go back to Denmark if it fucks up, Motec unit goes 15mins down the road for repair *if* it actually ever broke

So with the PDM30 - is there anything coming down the pipeline from Motec in regard to a newer model that I should hold out for?

Is there any bad points about going with the PDM30, aside from the 100amp max current limit?

Comment

Also interested, when I rang motec they did say some people but two 15s one in the front one in the back.
                                3D scanning
                                3D modelling
                                Structural certification
                                3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Working...
                                X