Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Box PDM's

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Black Box PDM's

    Yes, bought one. First impressions, really well built.

    Has some really good functionality too.
    Last edited by sssgtr; 30-11-19, 04:13 PM.

    #2
    You’re not serious are you?

    Checked date and its not april, so you’re serious.

    Fuck. Get help.
    Originally posted by Bosshoggett
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

    Comment


      #3
      man the Motec M30 is only another 700 bucks. you'd be nuts.

      Oo___oO

      Comment


        #4
        Point taken.

        Apparently the HP Electronik 8441 is pretty good. But again, for the extra $400 gets me the motec.

        Comment


          #5
          the electronik is suppose to be good, haven't seen one tho.

          I still like the racepak one if your using a supported ecu, they are simple to program and work,

          I would probably give anything black box a miss.. if you have more money to spend buy a motec one.
          im a cunt
          and apparently i dont know shit...

          Comment


            #6
            Fucking motec....$300 for the UTC adapter just to program it????

            Comment


              #7
              lol yeh… they are not cheap...
              im a cunt
              and apparently i dont know shit...

              Comment


                #8
                That turns the pdm30 into a $3200 affair.

                Bit shit when the HP 8441 is $2400, you're not the only one Dale who has mentioned that they are supposed to be a good thing.

                Comment


                  #9
                  You can borrow a utc from anyone, you’re not programming a PDM often. Plan, do once. I’ll lend you mine if you’re in bris.
                  Originally posted by Bosshoggett
                  If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by sssgtr View Post
                    Bit shit when the HP 8441 is $2400, you're not the only one Dale who has mentioned that they are supposed to be a good thing.
                    ive never programmed one, I have tuned a car that had one installed in it, there was no electrical issues with that car and it appeared to work perfectly..
                    im a cunt
                    and apparently i dont know shit...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It seems you're approaching this as an item by item approach SSS. You want an entire system. Everything will more or less do the job more or less as capably as it comes to running an engine, and turning shit on and off.

                      You're using an emtron ecu? Excellent, motec pdm, dash. Job done.
                      Using a haltech? throw a racepak normalintelligence-wire at it.
                      Syvecs? then life racing pdu, and plex dash.
                      Motec? well thats obvious.

                      Some shit just works easier, more streamlined and has been done a thousand times. Trying to save $500 will lead to $500 in troubleshooting and thrown tools and frustration later. That adds up obviously. Yes the PDM will cost more. And you probably want to spend more than that and have two PDM's anyway depending on chassis setup.

                      Skimping on the dash to use an aim or a racepak over a motec? Well have fun using a keypad to cancel warnings, adjust settings/brightness/screen flip/see adjustments and map switching/trims etc.

                      Good thing with emtron logging is it'll log all the pdm channels and sundry data.

                      It sucks but the industry does not mix and match too well, despite being a huge jump ahead of even just a few years ago.

                      Examine the reasons you're using an Emtron in the first place and you'll find its because it's a 3k saving on an M150 being built to identical capability in firmware and an LTCD. Hell an M150 and M1.4Dev license is $6k before you've paid a single person to type a line of code to get something you want working.

                      Also remember the interface is what matters most once the capability is there. The prettyness of the anodizing and the flash website means fuck all, if once you're in the car the user interface is cumbersome and unintuitive and you have a dozen analogue switches and dials and crap that could otherwise be on a single keypad or rotary switch etc. If the dash doesnt tell you the information being gathered by the bus and available your troubleshooting is suddenly multiple open programs etc and comms conflicts with laptop and...fuck that noise.

                      Speak to your dealer. Write all your inputs and outputs down in excel for all hardware. Assign every channel and wire and input. Repeat and compare between brands.
                      Originally posted by Bosshoggett
                      If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

                      Comment


                        #12
                        https://www.liferacing.com/products/pdus/pdu34a/ no UTC needed, saved you $270.

                        Waiting for new motec PDM's that can do comparable shit like the 10k hz low side switching for pwm high current control. I'm sure they're in the working on it as PDM15/30/16/32 are getting on in age.
                        Originally posted by Bosshoggett
                        If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by cracka View Post
                          It seems you're approaching this as an item by item approach SSS. You want an entire system. Everything will more or less do the job more or less as capably as it comes to running an engine, and turning shit on and off.

                          You're using an emtron ecu? Excellent, motec pdm, dash. Job done.
                          Using a haltech? throw a racepak normalintelligence-wire at it.
                          Syvecs? then life racing pdu, and plex dash.
                          Motec? well thats obvious.

                          Some shit just works easier, more streamlined and has been done a thousand times. Trying to save $500 will lead to $500 in troubleshooting and thrown tools and frustration later. That adds up obviously. Yes the PDM will cost more. And you probably want to spend more than that and have two PDM's anyway depending on chassis setup.

                          Skimping on the dash to use an aim or a racepak over a motec? Well have fun using a keypad to cancel warnings, adjust settings/brightness/screen flip/see adjustments and map switching/trims etc.

                          Good thing with emtron logging is it'll log all the pdm channels and sundry data.

                          It sucks but the industry does not mix and match too well, despite being a huge jump ahead of even just a few years ago.

                          Examine the reasons you're using an Emtron in the first place and you'll find its because it's a 3k saving on an M150 being built to identical capability in firmware and an LTCD. Hell an M150 and M1.4Dev license is $6k before you've paid a single person to type a line of code to get something you want working.

                          Also remember the interface is what matters most once the capability is there. The prettyness of the anodizing and the flash website means fuck all, if once you're in the car the user interface is cumbersome and unintuitive and you have a dozen analogue switches and dials and crap that could otherwise be on a single keypad or rotary switch etc. If the dash doesnt tell you the information being gathered by the bus and available your troubleshooting is suddenly multiple open programs etc and comms conflicts with laptop and...fuck that noise.

                          Speak to your dealer. Write all your inputs and outputs down in excel for all hardware. Assign every channel and wire and input. Repeat and compare between brands.
                          I wish more people had your thought process haha. Well written
                          1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

                          Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                          The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by cracka View Post
                            https://www.liferacing.com/products/pdus/pdu34a/ no UTC needed, saved you $270.

                            Waiting for new motec PDM's that can do comparable shit like the 10k hz low side switching for pwm high current control. I'm sure they're in the working on it as PDM15/30/16/32 are getting on in age.
                            if you have any outputs that need that kind of hi frequency hi power and you still have the emtron KV8, the DO 13-16 will do 15/40a at 15khz. I'd high side drive it so you can use the separate power supply input and not saturate the ECU grounds. what needs the 10khz?

                            Oo___oO

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Exceeding audible levels when switching bigger pumps. PS pumps whine like cunts at 100hz. Also wreaks havoc with hall current sensors switching at low frequency. Maybe pdm’s handle this with averaging, but inputting 0-5v off little allegro sensors would be all over the shop (or it’s a function of cheap sensor? Fucks me). Assume same applies to fuel pumps etc.
                              Originally posted by Bosshoggett
                              If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X