• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the useful info everyone!
    Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by myliberty View Post
      Also. Itís not a helicopter.
      No, because if it was, all the wires would be white.
      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Has anyone suggested just wire them into the engine harness?
        Why add a join in and a sub-harness? Shit like that sounds like a good idea to people that havenít done this 50 times before and learned lessons.
        Are you saying Having a bulkhead adaptor is a stupid idea?
        /csh Racing

Comment

Originally posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
          Are you saying Having a bulkhead adaptor is a stupid idea?
          yes. yes it is.
          Pest Control - Brisbane, Gold Coast, Ipswich and South West QLD PF discounts apply.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of bulkhead connectors either.
            Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

yes. yes it is.
              care to elaborate?
              /csh Racing

Comment

I suspect his main concern is the extra point of failure. They introduce 3 additional points of contact failure, water ingress or damage. On top of that, they typically prevent on part of the loom from being removed with ease.

Unless you have to maintain bulkhead sealing like in mining applications, they are not warranted.

I would like to hear the arguments for them though in case I've overlooked something.
                Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
                  I suspect his main concern is the extra point of failure. They introduce 3 additional points of contact failure, water ingress or damage. On top of that, they typically prevent on part of the loom from being removed with ease.

Unless you have to maintain bulkhead sealing like in mining applications, they are not warranted.

I would like to hear the arguments for them though in case I've overlooked something.
                  I think the argument for them is easy engine/part engine removal by unclicking sub-loom rather than whole harness and individual plug.
                  Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Comment

Originally posted by rolin7 View Post
                    I think the argument for them is easy engine/part engine removal by unclicking sub-loom rather than whole harness and individual plug.
                    Simply not true in the real world. Unclipping 10 or 15 plugs takes seconds and if the loom is built for service, it just peels back out of the way. I used to think they were cool too. Then I learned I was wrong.

If you are building a helicopter, then sure, the gas turbine should have a harness with a single connector, but I think youíd find that even in a helicopter, it wonít be a ďbulkheadĒ fitting, it would be a hard connection point built off the part and the tail that connects to it would be dangling from the helicopter body. The opposite of how car peeps think they should go.

If you can give me a real reason to use one, Iíd do it, but they arenít cool.
                    Pest Control - Brisbane, Gold Coast, Ipswich and South West QLD PF discounts apply.

Comment

Until you can put the starter motor, alternator, radiator hoses, power steering lines on that same plug, it seems a little bit silly.

Removing an engine doesn't become a trivial task because you have removed cut down the number of electrical connections from 15 to 14.

And they look tacky and non OEM.
                      Jason Broadhurst

Comment

I will never put another firewall connector on any car I ever build.. total waste of time and causes nothing but head fucks..
                        im a cunt
                        and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

Probably 90% of avionics issues in mil aircraft (atleast the old shitboxes I worked on) were caused by loose pins in mega expensive milspec plugs. A single wiring run will always be more reliable than multiple connections.

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
                          Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Originally posted by rolin7 View Post
                            This, I have one in the orange 911. But that is a car where the engine is designed to come out easily, so itís not a case of unplugging wires in two seconds then spending 749 hours unhooking everything else.
                            Itís also a race car, so the engine does have to come out more regularly for a once over than a street car I guess.
                            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

So the legitimate and more reliable option is to have the firewall grommet and then the 1-4 ECU plugs on the inside of the cabin, as well as the 1-2 engine to chassis plugs. So you're looking at the disconnection of 2 to 6 plugs in the vicinity of the ECU.

Once the arduous task of disconnecting 2 to 6 connectors, it's grommet out of the firewall and engine out.

Sam you actually have a race car though, that does races and cops a real hiding. We are talking warmed up street cars or chrome wheel fast4's jobs with bulkhead connectors.
                              Jason Broadhurst

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
                                So the legitimate and more reliable option is to have the firewall grommet and then the 1-4 ECU plugs on the inside of the cabin, as well as the 1-2 engine to chassis plugs. So you're looking at the disconnection of 2 to 6 plugs in the vicinity of the ECU.

Once the arduous task of disconnecting 2 to 6 connectors, it's grommet out of the firewall and engine out.

Sam you actually have a race car though, that does races and cops a real hiding. We are talking warmed up street cars or chrome wheel fast4's jobs with bulkhead connectors.
                                agreed, street cars i've never really had to drop engine that often, or if i had to, it wasn't going back in that afternoon haha.. something would be borked lol.
                                i should add i didn't put the firewall plug in, whoever did the ecu install did when it got refurbished
                                Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                                Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Working...
                                X