Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick
    replied
    Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post

I've got large spools of multiple sizes here Nick, let me know if you want to drop round and grab some
    Thanks man, will do!

Leave a comment:

• 080GMH
    replied
    I have bags of old car looms from cars I have wrecked in the past. Comes in useful at times for wiring and connectors.

Leave a comment:

• jasonp1977
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick View Post
    I know OT but can't be fucked starting new thread.

What about braided sleeve. Will be used in Engine bay so looking at PET for heat resistance but can only seem to find it in 100m rolls for $100+ per size. Anyone selling 10m is just poly or on eBay that I don't really trust, usually only good for internal, trailers etc. Jaycar, Autobarn, Supercheap shit is all low temp stuff and mostly shit anyway. Looking for the stuff that has the white trace through it.

Just want to build a loom for a mate, not go into business.

If I ever win lotto, I swear I will open a Spotlight type store for automotive fittings, wiring, connectors, materials. The above stores lack this type of stuff or it is really shit like the Narva wires they sell, garbage. Wire looks chunky, cut it, it's 80% insulator and the core is tiny. Short runs of quality kit.
    I've got large spools of multiple sizes here Nick, let me know if you want to drop round and grab some

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    Originally posted by Norbie View Post

Fuck, I've been burned by that so many times. Recycled 20 year old wire from a half cut I chopped up years ago is somehow better quality than anything I can buy at any retail outlet anywhere.
    YES! I still have some left from my half cut and reuse it when I can.

Leave a comment:

• Norbie
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick View Post
    Wire looks chunky, cut it, it's 80% insulator and the core is tiny.
    Fuck, I've been burned by that so many times. Recycled 20 year old wire from a half cut I chopped up years ago is somehow better quality than anything I can buy at any retail outlet anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied
    I know OT but can't be fucked starting new thread.

What about braided sleeve. Will be used in Engine bay so looking at PET for heat resistance but can only seem to find it in 100m rolls for $100+ per size. Anyone selling 10m is just poly or on eBay that I don't really trust, usually only good for internal, trailers etc. Jaycar, Autobarn, Supercheap shit is all low temp stuff and mostly shit anyway. Looking for the stuff that has the white trace through it.

Just want to build a loom for a mate, not go into business.

If I ever win lotto, I swear I will open a Spotlight type store for automotive fittings, wiring, connectors, materials. The above stores lack this type of stuff or it is really shit like the Narva wires they sell, garbage. Wire looks chunky, cut it, it's 80% insulator and the core is tiny. Short runs of quality kit.

Leave a comment:

• mondo2000
    replied
    Originally posted by myliberty View Post

Simply not true in the real world. Unclipping 10 or 15 plugs takes seconds and if the loom is built for service, it just peels back out of the way. I used to think they were cool too. Then I learned I was wrong.

If you are building a helicopter, then sure, the gas turbine should have a harness with a single connector, but I think you’d find that even in a helicopter, it won’t be a “bulkhead” fitting, it would be a hard connection point built off the part and the tail that connects to it would be dangling from the helicopter body. The opposite of how car peeps think they should go.

If you can give me a real reason to use one, I’d do it, but they aren’t cool.
    They are useful if you are planning to install multiple engine types into one chassis using one ECU.

Leave a comment:

• [RX3]
    replied
    Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
    That looks to be abut the same price, GR motorsports electrics price by the meter and mouser price by the foot

Yeah I see where you're coming from, but a little cheaper buying in lengths is what I should have said to be specific;
    10 metres = $71.50
    vs
    33 feet = $47 ish

I always buy stuff from mouser, free shipping on orders of $60 too, so handy when buying connectors and terminals ect.
    Last edited by [RX3]; 01-04-20, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jason Broadhurst
    replied
    Make sure you continue screens through plugs, and ensure there are no other ground points and a single ground at the ecu end.

Actually measure the screens on each segment without it grounded at your ground point, to ensure its high resistance to ground.

Leave a comment:

• jasonp1977
    replied
    That looks to be abut the same price, GR motorsports electrics price by the meter and mouser price by the foot

Leave a comment:

• bboy
    replied
    That looks perfect, thanks man. I'll text you.

Leave a comment:

• [RX3]
    replied
    I'll try and find it and see what it is exactly.

edit, this is what I have,

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...0IkHl6QQ%3D%3D

Pretty cheap compared to that other site, can spare you 10 metres if you think it's suitable and you can be bothered driving down.
    Last edited by [RX3]; 01-04-20, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bboy
    replied
    Originally posted by [RX3] View Post
    How much do you need?

I have a roll of the stuff somewhere.
    At a guess probably around 5m? Crank/cam/2xknock with ecu in same place as stock Aristo... I was just going to buy 10m of the stuff. But I can help you clean your shed

Leave a comment:

• [RX3]
    replied
    How much do you need?

I have a roll of the stuff somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• jasonp1977
    replied
    I've got a roll of #20 and #22, I use #20 the most as that's the size which fits best for the Sumitomo TS / SL crimp terminals I have for the toyota crank/cam and knock sensor plugs

Leave a comment:

Working...
X