Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current hotness for ECU input sensors (air/coolant temp, fuel/oil pressure)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current hotness for ECU input sensors (air/coolant temp, fuel/oil pressure)

On the race car i had Bosch sensors, but they were all AN fittings etc. Looking for something in standard NPT/BSP fitting, but with decent reliability. I remember people talking about a range of sensors over the years, but not much long term feedback on reliability.

What is the go these days? Still the GM stuff for air/coolant?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Honeywell MLH for fuel and oil.

I use MLH150PSB06A for both oil and fuel. They are ethanol safe and sealed so no leaks if it breaks. About 170 kangaroos from Digi-Key. Just be sure to order the plugs too and Holden no longer stock them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

depends on what you want to spend, but I'm a fan of the T1 "Fast Response" sender for air temp, about the best you'll get in a sensor like that for speed, downside is it's 1/16 NPT: https://www.t1racedevelopment.com/product/t1-fast-at/

If customers dont want to spend up on the T1 Fast Response sender for air temp, then I typically use one of these: https://www.t1racedevelopment.com/pr...r-temp-sensor/ which can be sourced locally for $20-30 minus the plug/pin kit.

For fluid pressure I've been using the Tyco "Measurement Specialities" senders on most builds lately, nice compact size and a decent price: https://adaptronic.com.au/collection...ressure-sensor

The TI 150psi sender used to be my "go to" for every build but the lower cost of the Tyco tempted me their way. I've not had any failures with either of those sensors, some of the cars have done 100,000km+ and been on the road for 10 years since the original build. In the setups I've done they're not remote mounted with braided hose either, just mounted straight into the fuel rail/reg/engine block etc.

I would like to use the bosch combo pressure/temp fluid sensors but they're metric thread so don't suit most of the stuff I do: https://www.t1racedevelopment.com/pr...rature-sensor/

Comment

Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
        If customers dont want to spend up on the T1 Fast Response sender for air temp, then I typically use one of these: https://www.t1racedevelopment.com/pr...r-temp-sensor/ which can be sourced locally for $20-30 minus the plug/pin kit.

For fluid pressure I've been using the Tyco "Measurement Specialities" senders on most builds lately, nice compact size and a decent price: https://adaptronic.com.au/collection...ressure-sensor

The TI 150psi sender used to be my "go to" for every build but the lower cost of the Tyco tempted me their way. I've not had any failures with either of those sensors, some of the cars have done 100,000km+ and been on the road for 10 years since the original build. In the setups I've done they're not remote mounted with braided hose either, just mounted straight into the fuel rail/reg/engine block etc.

I would like to use the bosch combo pressure/temp fluid sensors but they're metric thread so don't suit most of the stuff I do: https://www.t1racedevelopment.com/pr...rature-sensor/
        Who is doing those sensors for $20-30, that looks ideal for what i want.

Those Tyco sensors look good too, as do the Honeywell ones. I suspect though that anything at that price point will be of roughly the same quality. Just wish more would do an integrated pressure and temp sensor like the Bosch one, that would be very useful.
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Can't find my old bookmark for the cheap supplier, but EFI hardware have them close to that range: https://www.efihardware.com/products...-series-18-bsp, many of the different ECU brands rebadge the same sensor

Comment

Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
            Can't find my old bookmark for the cheap supplier, but EFI hardware have them close to that range: https://www.efihardware.com/products...-series-18-bsp, many of the different ECU brands rebadge the same sensor
            Ah nice

Are they Deutsch DTM compatible? Or is it a different but similar connector?

Edit. Looked on the desktop and not on mobile and it says DTM 2 pin. Silly mobile site.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget

Comment

I used a Bosch temp / pressure sensor for my coolant.

I have 4 Honeywell MHL series pressure sensors for my transmission, oil and fuel pressure. I also use a Honeywell fuel temp ES120 series sensor for my transmission as it was really compact.

My air temp sensor was one I bought from Haltech, think it's GM.

Comment

Honeywell if you want reliable IMHO
                Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Those DTM air and coolant sensors are great until you try and undo one and they shear off.

None of the TI or Honeywell sensors are reliable unless you spend $100s mounting them remotely which you should not have to do. May as well buy china copies.
                  OE stuff like the pressure/temp sensors is more likely to continue working than the "MotorSport" sensors that are actually shit designed to be screwed on the side of manufacturing equipment in a pineapple cannery.

Buyer beware.
                  David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
                  You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Problem is all the good OEM sensors that will hang onto the side of a harsh as fuck diesel engine for decades and not fuck out are in weird thread sizes.
                    I would recommend OEM Volvo and Scania sensors but who has a engine block tapped to m14x1.5 for engine oil pressure?

Comment

I took the gamble with chinabay sensors. 3 years on they still go strong. Have 0-100 for oil and fuel pressure, 0-300 for trans line pressure and 0-30 for coolant pressure. Temp sensors are just normal GM closed element sensors. Run one in the trans sump, oil remote and water crossover. For the price of them I just keep spares. Usual disclaimer, YMMV.
                      Originally posted by Motherfucker Jones
                      If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
                      we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
                        Those DTM air and coolant sensors are great until you try and undo one and they shear off.

None of the TI or Honeywell sensors are reliable unless you spend $100s mounting them remotely which you should not have to do. May as well buy china copies.
                        OE stuff like the pressure/temp sensors is more likely to continue working than the "MotorSport" sensors that are actually shit designed to be screwed on the side of manufacturing equipment in a pineapple cannery.

Buyer beware.
                        So you reckon the old faithful GM air temp sensor like they used to supply with older Haltechs?

Probably going to remote mount the pressure sensors anyway after the pain of having an Autometer oil pressure sensor break off in the block from vibrations.

Originally posted by dnegative View Post
                        Problem is all the good OEM sensors that will hang onto the side of a harsh as fuck diesel engine for decades and not fuck out are in weird thread sizes.
                        I would recommend OEM Volvo and Scania sensors but who has a engine block tapped to m14x1.5 for engine oil pressure?
                        M14 is a pain. Any recommendations on OEM oil and fuel pressure in 1/8NPT?

Originally posted by krisr View Post
                        I took the gamble with chinabay sensors. 3 years on they still go strong. Have 0-100 for oil and fuel pressure, 0-300 for trans line pressure and 0-30 for coolant pressure. Temp sensors are just normal GM closed element sensors. Run one in the trans sump, oil remote and water crossover. For the price of them I just keep spares. Usual disclaimer, YMMV.
                        Interesting, they do look quite attractive on price, even if it just for the connector.
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The new nugget

Comment

Temp is an inherently stable measurement device, it's a resistive element. That means the basket style air temp sensors which look like a blob in a cage are going to be very reliable, as is a coolant or oil temp sensor.

A pressure sensor is less stable due to the complexity of the measurement element. They all require some form of moving part such as a diaphragm and electronic differential measurement. Rigid mounted to the engine with the haltech supplied sensors is not recommended, same with most Denso or Bosch MAP sensors (typically found on the bulkhead).

Mounted properly they last forever. Mounted poorly they may last forever. Cheapies mounted poorly may last forever. It depends on the vibration and it's axis to the sensor I suspect.

The cheap Chinese style often don't deal with ethanol, and tend to drift over time. They Honeywell/haltech/adaptronic sensors are rock solid calibration wise.
                          Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

I'm using the Bosch temp/pressure in one for fuel, oil and coolant, highly recommend.
                            '84 Supra 7MGTE
                            '86 Supra 2JZGE track
                            '99 Supra GTX35 VVTi
                            '19 Supra B58 <3

PSN: RyleyMA61
                            Steam: FapPappy61

Comment

Originally posted by my limp penis View Post
                              I'm using the Bosch temp/pressure in one for fuel, oil and coolant, highly recommend.
                              How are you dealing with the M14 fitting?
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget

Comment

Working...
                              X