Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flex fuel sensors

I'm currently putting together a shopping list of parts I need to get my 2JZ fuel system operational, and I'm looking at flex fuel sensors.

I notice that Goleby's have two options, the Haltech one for $249:

https://www.golebysparts.com.au/coll...osition-sensor

And a Syltech one for $149:

https://www.golebysparts.com.au/coll...ex-fuel-sensor

I've never heard of the latter but a $100 saving is significant. Has anyone had any experience with these? I'll be using it with a Haltech Elite 2500 if it makes any difference.
    Norbie!

Both are Continental sensors, but from memory the curve is slightly different between the GM style and the Ford style (named after the OEMs that tended to use them). The Haltech one is just a rebranded Continental sensor, part number here:

Image linking seems broken: http://images.plebeians.net/_data/i/...631b676-xl.jpg
    Last edited by takai; 20-09-19, 12:10 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

OK so presumably the Haltech should be able to read from both?
      Norbie!

Comment

syltech will have a calibration guide. im sure it will be a-ok

Comment

Syltech seem to be a Continental OEM anyway. Just the Ford style sensor.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Thanks guys!
            Norbie!

Comment

Have a Syltech/Stubby Conti on mine. Works perfectly. It's smaller, shorter pipe too but doesn't have any easy mount points as OEM uses a plastic clip on thing. On Haltechs, make sure you have it as rising edge so temp works too.

Comment

Quick update on this, my Syltech sensor arrived yesterday and it came with a spec sheet which specifies max fuel flow 400 lph. I'm using a 540 lph fuel pump. Should I be concerned?
                Norbie!

Comment

Not when installed in the return.

Comment

Yes mine will be in the return. That's good to know, thanks!
                    Norbie!

Comment

Don't put it in the return.... If/when you get to the limit of the fuel pump the content sensor drops on power runs... This is ok if the flex sensor can be locked out on boost or has enough dampening in the software.
                      I would just run it in the pressure line and if you are stressed about it make a y section with to flow it in parallel with a #6 line. I would also compare the outlet of the pumps id to to id of the flex sensor tube.

GM put them in the pressure line factory as they are a dead head system.

Comment

Originally posted by PITS View Post
                        Don't put it in the return.... If/when you get to the limit of the fuel pump the content sensor drops on power runs... This is ok if the flex sensor can be locked out on boost or has enough dampening in the software.
                        I'm pretty sure I saw something on Haltech's Youtube channel about this - like if the ECU loses the signal from the flex fuel sensor it will just use the last known good value, and since the ethanol content isn't going to change while the engine is running this should be fine?

Running it in the pressure line is also an option though, and I'll already be splitting the pressure line (dual entry rail) so that's fine as well. I wasn't aware you could run them this way, everyone seems to put them in the return!

EDIT: you'll be the sucker who gets to tune this thing eventually so I should probably give you the final say! I'll be running a Haltech Elite 2500 if that makes any difference.
                        Last edited by Norbie; 02-10-19, 01:14 PM.
                        Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                        X