Haltech Nexus

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-tau is a piece of piss to implement. the % enrichment output of the throttle pump model is just replaced by the X-tau enrichment in the fuel calc. andy already had X-tau sussed in the adaptronics so will be a no brainer for all future releases. I got it working on an E1280s without issue, only problem i had was the scan rate of the ecu and the fixed precision calcs to 0.02 precision limiting the delta T component at high revs. but even with these limitations it worked excellently.

im not sure if the adaptronics modulars tracked each cylinder individually (so a progressive fuel cut on one cylinder during a cycle would not add any X component for next engine cycle. but that is certainly how you should do it as then progressive fuel cuts are completely safe to implement even on big power engines.

a more rudimentary approach would be to ignore the individual cylinder fuel cuts and just have the basic enrichment calc using the port film method, but i would be surprised if this was the approach taken as a large benefit of the film model is to account for wall drying on each runner seperately.

the next step in the evolution of port film is exhaust valve temperature modelling, which doesn't seem to be done in the aftermarket. Motec have some very complex manifold/inlet runner temperature models that can be used in the fuel film model that account for Cylinder heat temp, transfer efficiencies and time constants along with heat transfer to the charge air, along with the subsequent cooling of the manifold/plenum.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 04-06-20, 09:34 AM.

Oo___oO

Comment

does anyone know when the NSP software is being released? keen to have a poke around.

Oo___oO

Comment

will be in the next few days I heard... but it could change if any little bugs are found as more people use it
        im a cunt
        and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

thanks for the info Dale, won't hold you to it but good to know the nexus isn't far away!

Oo___oO

Comment

its due for release next week, as far as i know its all going to plan, they have been rolling them out to dealers in the usa this week for some final feedback so barring anything major id say wednesday is still going ahead
            im a cunt

Comment

https://www.haltech.com/nsp-nexus-so...mmer-is-ready/
              im a cunt

Comment

looks good so far, they've managed to keep the look and feel very much like ESP, and the config largely looks like an elite, just with more I/O. I dont have any log files to check out the log viewer.

good points:
                - No HDEF catalogging!
                - A Scope!
                - Fast Fourier view of knock control setup is nice
                - Wifi
                - huge datalogging capability.
                - Paddle shift gearbox control appears to be pretty comprehensive with torque reduction and blipping etc. it doesn't appear that the shift function does closed loop and relies on shift duration time only (you can't end a torque reduction early if the gearbox position feedback shows it is fully in gear). shift stacking is only other omission. auto-shifting points for the gearbox (a normal function for an auto, but nice to include it for sequentials)
                - custom tuning page layouts letting you have multiple tables etc lets you make some nice tuning views (on a 4k screen you can fit a LOT of info) this is one of the things I like most about the Motec M1 software for tuning and I'm glad to see Haltech go this route (other ECUs having one table only visible at a time is clunky by comparison)
                - FOUR injector stages!
                - as much as i hate password protection, being able to apply it to individual settings is a good idea rather than forcing a tuner to lock down the whole ECU or not at all.

Bad Points:
                - Help file is online only. if you're not online, you cant read the help file. im sure a later installer will come that packages this locally.
                - The Torque management is much more basic than what I expecting and i guess thats why Haltech was so Coy on what you actually got in its advertising literature compared to how much they talked it up as a feature. if this is what came with the T series elites (for an extra few grand) I'd be very dissapointed with the purchase, and they were absolutely taking the piss with the cost of the 2500T. this functionality could have been accomplished by user table stacking.
                - DBW pedal to throttle mapping is very basic. a 2 point tangent curve is all you get. while i can see the safety argument for forcing the user to make a smooth curve, you lose any semblance of driver demand torque control. I would like to see a 4D table for pedal to throttle translation. you are missing out on most of the benefits of DBW for drivability not having 3d or 4d pedal demand mapping.
                - I can't see how you can use a eWG in this configuration. if you go into the DBW wiring config, you cannot select the 25A outputs, DBW2 doesn't have a seperate target table for boost posiition % and boost control only has one or two solenoid output config available. as it stands the 25A outputs cannot be used for H-Bridge output or they've just been excluded from use in the current firmware as we have seen the Nexus drive the Ewg at US trade shows.
                - Fuel film enrichment is still missing
                - generic output tables must still be assigned to real IO. this means you waste I/O to cascade generic tables. yes, you have shitloads of IO but still a waste.
                - there is no import/export function for the datalog configuration. I guess you could argue that with so much datalog memory you just put everything in and leave it, but I would like to see an import/export datalog config so you could easily change the logged parameters rather than having to manually add/remove every parameter. haltech have probably decided that with so much memory you shouldn't care, but if you want to log 1 channel at 1000hz you are forced to log ALL channels at this rate. there aren't multiple logging rate "slots" you can assign variables to.
                Last edited by burn is weird; 30-06-20, 07:50 AM.

Oo___oO

Comment

Originally posted by burn is weird View Post
                  looks good so far, they've managed to keep the look and feel very much like ESP, and the config largely looks like an elite, just with more I/O. I dont have any log files to check out the log viewer.

good points:
                  - No HDEF catalogging!
                  - A Scope!
                  - Fast Fourier view of knock control setup is nice
                  - Wifi
                  - huge datalogging capability.
                  - Paddle shift gearbox control appears to be pretty comprehensive with torque reduction and blipping etc. it doesn't appear that the shift function does closed loop and relies on shift duration time only (you can't end a torque reduction early if the gearbox position feedback shows it is fully in gear). shift stacking is only other omission. auto-shifting points for the gearbox (a normal function for an auto, but nice to include it for sequentials)
                  - custom tuning page layouts letting you have multiple tables etc lets you make some nice tuning views (on a 4k screen you can fit a LOT of info)
                  - FOUR injector stages!
                  - as much as i hate password protection, being able to apply it to individual settings is a good idea rather than forcing a tuner to lock down the whole ECU or not at all.

Bad Points:
                  - Help file is online only. if you're not online, you cant read the help file. im sure a later installer will come that packages this locally.
                  - The Torque management is much more basic than what I expecting and i guess thats why Haltech was so Coy on what you actually got in its advertising literature compared to how much they talked it up as a feature. if this is what came with the T series elites (for an extra few grand) I'd be very dissapointed with the purchase, and they were absolutely taking the piss with the cost of the 2500T. this functionality could have been accomplished by user table stacking.
                  - DBW pedal to throttle mapping is very basic. a 2 point tangent curve is all you get. while i can see the safety argument for forcing the user to make a smooth curve, you lose any semblance of driver demand torque control. I would like to see a 4D table for pedal to throttle translation. you are missing out on most of the benefits of DBW for drivability not having 3d or 4d pedal demand mapping.
                  - I can't see how you can use a eWG in this configuration. if you go into the DBW wiring config, you cannot select the 25A outputs, DBW2 doesn't have a seperate target table for boost posiition % and boost control only has one or two solenoid output config available. as it stands the 25A outputs cannot be used for H-Bridge output or they've just been excluded from use in the current firmware as we have seen the Nexus drive the Ewg at US trade shows.
                  - Fuel film enrichment is still missing
                  - generic output tables must still be assigned to real IO. this means you waste I/O to cascade generic tables. yes, you have shitloads of IO but still a waste.
                  - there is no import/export function for the datalog configuration. I guess you could argue that with so much datalog memory you just put everything in and leave it, but I would like to see an import/export datalog config so you could easily change the logged parameters rather than having to manually add/remove every parameter. haltech have probably decided that with so much memory you shouldn't care, but if you want to log 1 channel at 1000hz you are forced to log ALL channels at this rate. there aren't multiple logging rate "slots" you can assign variables to.
                  Log viewer is currently the same, update for that is coming but not sure when, you will notice it downloads 2 log files each time one is old format one is new format, it downloads a 500mb log in under 50sec on usb and about 2 min over WiFi.

It still catalogs hdef but it's in the background

Elite had 4 stages of injection, a big update is coming to the staging shortly

No clue on help file haven't even looked at it

Torque management had never been hidden, it's always there to view even on elite, you cannot just stack tables and make it work or you end up with junk like every other ecu on the market, there is a reason it's done the way it is because it's the best in the market and works better than anything else you can buy.

Dbw is still the same as elite, updates coming

Hbridge updates coming

Ewg is coming

Fuel film coming

Use generic channels not generic outputs then you can use 2 or more to make your axis control a single output

The data logging will be changed to Blocks so you can choose what channels you want to log at what speed, we logged 260 channels at 1000hz and it still only takes 20 sec over WiFi to download the log, the log is downloaded before the car is even back in the pit bay..

Covid fucked all the testing that was booked for March and April so it's really throw it back 3-4 months on where it should have been, yes you can write code at home but you cannot test it, between my test car, maatouks test car, Patrick barnhills test cars there has not been a car that's gone slower, they have all gone faster,
                  Last edited by 10sec rx7; 30-06-20, 08:42 AM.
                  im a cunt

Comment

Real men don't use help files
                    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

lol. im curious what values you would use for the soft auxillary cut pattern adder table for a 6 cylinder engine without peeking.

and I've come up with a way to replicate the torque managment function in an elite.

user Table 1: race timer value as x axis with RPM target output as a percentage of max (resolution of 0.1% is 8rpm resolution for a 8000 rpm engine)
                      user Table 2: table 1 output (rpm target) x axis vs actual Rpm y axis. using scaling of 50% = no slip, 0% =x slip-, 100%= x slip+
                      user table 3: race timer value as x axis with cut % as output
                      generic ignition table 1 takes Table 2 value as y axis (-x to +x slip) and race time as x axis and applys ignition correction.
                      generic ignition table 2 takes ride height vs whatever and applys ignition correction
                      generic ignition table 3 takes race timer and applys ignition correction
                      use Aux limiter, set auxillary RPM limit to 1000rpm. use the aux limit cut percentage table looking at user table 3 as y axis with race timer as x axis.

set up a dial 0-5v, use this as second axis on user table 1, user table 3, generic ignition 2 and generic ignition 3 as traction modifier.

only thing you're a bit short on is 16 cell wide table resolution for the race timer axis.
                      Last edited by burn is weird; 30-06-20, 11:41 AM.

Oo___oO

Comment

you can do all that sure, give it a try and let us know how you get on,
                        because what you have done there is how the poor holley and fuelfail users have to do it unless they buy a add on davies box and it does not work for shit. and it can still only do it vs a single rpm input not 2 rpm inputs etc.. also the nexus has a built in gyro so you can map it all against that..

i dont even understand why its an issue its included on the nexus for free.
                        im a cunt

Comment

no complaints with it being in the nexus, I just cannot understand how it could have added $2000 to the cost of the elite for what is such a basic function. I guess i can't begrudge a company for charging what people will pay.

Oo___oO

Comment

its not a basic function tho. you only think its basic because you have not used it in anger,
                            the maths channels are more important than the actual numbers,
                            with out the maths channels the function is useless...
                            im a cunt

Comment

I'll certainly concede I don't really know and the info I've found hasn't explained it in much detail. If its more sophisticated than it appeasr on the surface i'd love to know more. what maths channels are you talking about?

from all the tables in torque managment and the way the haltech videos and help files explain it, it just has a target rpm from a table that varies over race time, which gives you a target error in rpm. then you use tables with that error as an axis to pull timing/cut fuel/ign. what else is they system doing other than lookup of these tables to apply ignition retard/cut %?

I can't find anywhere that applies gain to retard angles to characterise the torque reduction response of the engine or anything that i would call advanced torque managment. the table outputs are all just degrees. not Nm or % reduction.

these are the only channels with "torque" in them

Click image for larger version

Name:	torque.png
Views:	141
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	7158810
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by burn is weird; 30-06-20, 01:53 PM.

Oo___oO

Comment

you have only enabled half of it, the cut % is a torque reduction from 0-100 of current engine power, target error and driveshaft derivative and attack/decay gains all come into it, you have to use it all to get control of everything, when used correctly its almost impossible to spin the tyres... most people use it to only reduce or add a small amount of power, when we are racing i use it to basically kill the engine if need be.. it works so fast you cannot even tell its done anything and it works so well i outran 5 of the fastest radial cars in the country last year when their davies boxes and other brands of ecus all let them spin while we ran pretty much PB after PB...

this is at 1000hz when the tuner gets a little happy in the final racing for $5k, car still ran a PB and only got outrun by a 4000hp big block by .002...
                                Attached Files
                                im a cunt

Comment

Working...
                                X