Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a 3D printer now, it's fun!

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Spacers for mounting speakers in car doors, don't want to use MDF...
    I printed the ones I needed for my Mazda after the MDF ones the installer used turned to mush from water ingress.

    Much better way of making them.

    Don't mention the adBlocker !!

    Comment


      I have an idea to make a business out of 3d printing and need to know if anyone has sources of wholesale supply for the consumables preferably in Oz. The small volume suppliers for hobby use won't suit the volume I don't think but being a total newb to this stuff am I barking up the wrong tree? I am involved in an industry where the product assembly is a nightmare due to no standard sizes and I can fix that with a few 3d printers.

      Comment


        If I knew cad was so frecken hard I would have not blown 5k on 3D printing gear.

        Comment


          Mini, you can go direct to any number of filament mfrs in China, I imported shitloads of filament from a company called Esun who are now a pretty big player. If you want ABS for your printing I have around 600 x 1Kg rolls that I will sell you dirt cheap.

          Snavy, CAD is like learning a new language, it doesn't come easy. Get a copy of Fusion 360 and use the online tutorials. If you want a fast-track this is probably the best way ATM
          “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
          ― Hunter S. Thompson

          Comment


            Ive been using fusion 360 from the start, less than 5 hours of use, can make basic shapes but I tend to get frustrated very often. What gets me is I have to watch 20 youtube videos just to make a basic object.

            Comment


              Originally posted by snavy View Post
              Ive been using fusion 360 from the start, less than 5 hours of use, can make basic shapes but I tend to get frustrated very often. What gets me is I have to watch 20 youtube videos just to make a basic object.
              Try solidworks... follow the fucking tutorials and it ends in an error not allowing you to go to the next step..

              Go back and slowly follow the tutorial word for word button click for button click with the same result... numerous times.

              These are the solidworks tutorials within the program not some youtube wank.

              Highly frustrating.

              Don't mention the adBlocker !!

              Comment


                Originally posted by snavy View Post
                Ive been using fusion 360 from the start, less than 5 hours of use, can make basic shapes but I tend to get frustrated very often. What gets me is I have to watch 20 youtube videos just to make a basic object.
                Depends what you're trying to do but I find Fusion 360 quite easy to do what I want. It's not a question of just drawing what you think you want. You need to consider how to draw it in the first place. If done properly the parametric stuff can be very powerful for adjusting sizes etc too.

                What simple objects can't you make?

                You should also design with consideration of how it will be printed (use units of nozzle width and layer heights for example)

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
                  Spacers for mounting speakers in car doors, don't want to use MDF...
                  Originally posted by Fondles View Post
                  I printed the ones I needed for my Mazda after the MDF ones the installer used turned to mush from water ingress.

                  Much better way of making them.
                  So these turned out pretty good!


                  Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR, MINI Cooper S
                  Originally posted by nutttr
                  People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

                  Comment


                    Nice work mate

                    Comment


                      Well done.
                      How long does it take to make them?

                      Comment


                        They look great Mr Nicholson.

                        Don't mention the adBlocker !!

                        Comment


                          Want SolidWorks for free?

                          Go here: http://www.solidworks.com/edu-maker-download

                          Say you don't have a serial number and use "918MAKER" as the trial code.

                          You're welcome...
                          Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

                          Comment


                            Thanks!

                            Comment


                              thanks!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Benonymous View Post
                                Mini, you can go direct to any number of filament mfrs in China, I imported shitloads of filament from a company called Esun who are now a pretty big player. If you want ABS for your printing I have around 600 x 1Kg rolls that I will sell you dirt cheap.

                                Snavy, CAD is like learning a new language, it doesn't come easy. Get a copy of Fusion 360 and use the online tutorials. If you want a fast-track this is probably the best way ATM
                                I'd forgotten about this, thanks for the offer. Printer is still on the way and the ideas multiply while waiting.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X