Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New AC/DC TIG option - cheaper CIG FYI

I have been toying with buying a decent AC/DC TIG for a little while now, and apart from the $4.5k price tag, quite like this machine:

http://apac.thermadyne.com/south-pac...dID=974&brand=

Talking to a CIG rep yesterday, he tells me they are bringing out a new machine in April, same specs as the above, aimed at the home hobbyist, for about $1.6k to compete with the chinese ones from Unimig etc. It will still be a full inverter and microprocessor controlled, just made in China as opposed to where ever they make the other machines to get the cost low. I'm in no hurry (already got MIG and ARC!) so will wait and see what this new one looks like.
    A slow day at the track is better than any day in the office.

thats a good price for an acadaca one, i was thinking about getting a DC TIG for nice pipe work on stainless but this looks like a much better option.

Comment

Devils in the details, none of these are sold with cooling systems or water cooled torches, something you must have if welding alloy or using 100A or up on ferrous. Cooling units range from $800-$2k. Keep this in mind when buying a chinese tig or if you think your Kemppi is dirt cheap.
      David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
      You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

If you are going to buy one wait for MkII noshit.

Comment

Also heard about this in the grapevine that CIG are goin to bring out a more afordable tig, im currently looking into upgrading and getting my self a new ACDC tig.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkgt38KRZ2c

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
            Devils in the details, none of these are sold with cooling systems or water cooled torches, something you must have if welding alloy or using 100A or up on ferrous. Cooling units range from $800-$2k. Keep this in mind when buying a chinese tig or if you think your Kemppi is dirt cheap.
            your rite about welding with alloy, i been using my transformer machine this weekend welding some alloy, probably welding with only about 120amps, the tourch dosnt stay cool for long

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
              Ebay torch = $80 + garden hose = free, what am I missing here for a hobby welder?
              Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

Some torches will alloy a direct water feed, some run a pressurised system and you need a cooling unit to flow water through it as it has to reach a certain pressure to crack a valve and allow flow.

You could spend a day gerry rigging shit together and making it work but it's not a sustainable way to do it.

You can just about guarantee that the cheap CIG Tig will be a generic chinese tig with blue paint on it.
                David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
                You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

The expensive CIG's are just recoloured thermalarc's anyway. I imported mine from the US and saved about 60% off the CIG price even with the bloody expensive DHL shipping and shitty aus $ at the time

Comment

Thermadyne set up their own plants in China so it's not like a yum cha Chinese machine. The basic bits like plastics and packaging and cases are make in China and the fancy stuff like valves and electronics are mostly made in Australia/ America/ Europe. I reckon their setup is extremely good at taking the best aspects of each manufacturing environment (but you do pay a premium for it for sure).

Comment

Looks like this unit is now avaliable.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cigweld-W...item4164cfd598

Comment

After the problems mates have had with water cooled stuff I would never even think about a water cooled torch.
                        Mate dropped 6.5k on a kempi. Water system was crap. Died. Got replaced and lasted a day. Took it back and got one without the water cooling and 3k back. Has worked great for 4 years now. Can weld all day building alloy camper trailers with just tool gloves on. It really doesn't get hot.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        RNJ Fabrication
                        Design-Machining-Welding
                        RNJfabrication@yahoo.com
                        04 0737 0736
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

When they work, they work well. My old work has a big ol Lincoln ac/dc tig with water cooled lead. Has a big plastic drum with electric water pump circulating water. There is enough volume to keep the welder running 4mm electrode on cast ally for hours. The trick is not to put water into a water cooled lead after its already warm. I split a tig lead when first learning. After using the machine without connecting the water I then connected it and water boiled in the lead and burst near the hand piece.

Comment

Originally posted by SLO78U View Post
                            After the problems mates have had with water cooled stuff I would never even think about a water cooled torch.
                            Mate dropped 6.5k on a kempi. Water system was crap. Died. Got replaced and lasted a day. Took it back and got one without the water cooling and 3k back. Has worked great for 4 years now. Can weld all day building alloy camper trailers with just tool gloves on. It really doesn't get hot.
                            Exactly our kemppi dosent have water cooled torch and it's fine.. You can hold it flat out at 220amps for half hour and it gets a little hot but nothing bad..
                            im a cunt
                            and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

Thoughts on one of these, please

https://www.swswelding.com.au/collec.../multi-mig-200
                              I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

Working...
                              X