Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
    Has anyone used a 3D scanner for any of there items? was thinking about getting an item scanned to save me some time but did not know how far it would be off and so on or if it is even worth it
    I have only had a single experience with a 3d scanned item. It was an inlet manifold which was scanned and the file format was STL. It consisted of triangles and the standard view planes were all over the place. I ended up passing on the project because i didn't have the time to deal with it but what i probably would have had to do was just use it as an envelope to check the actual design which would have had to be built up from scratch/measurements anyway.

Comment

That is what i was worried about, i guess i will draw from scratch
      CISCOKIDS
      The Gentlemen's Club
      Midnight Rocker

Comment

I've got a STL at home i'm dealing with for a project - (currently not doing any cad, or design related work unlike the past - shits me to tears) - it's a pain to work with.
        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
          Has anyone used a 3D scanner for any of there items? was thinking about getting an item scanned to save me some time but did not know how far it would be off and so on or if it is even worth it
          Depending on the item (and the device available for doing the scanning) you are better off having the critical features measured with a probe type cmm and the less critical stuff for clearance only done with a laser scan. If it is a faro arm type deal both can be done in the same setup assuming the faro has the uber expensive laser attachment.

The point cloud data from laser scan (or stl) is the biggest pain in the arse to work with. super gay.

Comment

An STL file was all triangles? That's fuckin weird?

An STL file describes a raw unstructured triangulated surface by the unitnormal and vertices (ordered by the right-hand rule) of the triangles using a three-dimensionalCartesian coordinate system. STL coordinates must be positive numbers, there is no scale information, and the units are arbitrary
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

Comment

Before i start drawing it up next week anyone got a 2JZGE intake flange? one that bolts to head
              CISCOKIDS
              The Gentlemen's Club
              Midnight Rocker

Comment

I only have a 1jz one modelled sorry

Comment

I wonder if anyone has had a RB30 or 26 as well as a VK56 engine on a cmm or parts that would be so useful

Comment

This is what I consider my best one yet.....
                    Attached Files
                    Custom made and replacement (CNC) intake manifold - 4 axis CNC machining - 3d modelling - tig welding

Custom Plenum Creations facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by ISL33P View Post
                      This is what I consider my best one yet.....
                      I see you also have done a 2JZGE Intake Flange...... Want to share the CAD file if not want to cut me up a flange and post it down?
                      CISCOKIDS
                      The Gentlemen's Club
                      Midnight Rocker

Comment

Happy to send you a flange. They have a transistion to suit 2" tube but can be changed to suit whatever you like, $300 delivery
                        Custom made and replacement (CNC) intake manifold - 4 axis CNC machining - 3d modelling - tig welding

Comment

Hee hee. Flange.
                          "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Hmmmm flange

Comment

How do you guys go about making your throttle bodies? Do they have to be done 3D, or would it be ok to water cut some 20-25mm aluminium plate and have it line bored, then water cut some brass butterflies?

Comment

You could do it as you said but I dont see anybody liking the finish compared to how relatively easy it is to cnc them. The actual machining doesnt take too much just more time in setup for such small items

Comment

Working...
                                X