• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Mega View Post
    Thats an easy one to fix.

1. open MS word.
    2. type the following
    .....legs - 4 off length x RHS dimensions.
    .....Top crossmembers - 4 off length x RHS dimensions.
    .....Leg braces - 2 off length x RHS dimensions.
    3. ?????
    4. Save word document and send to supplier.
    5. profit.
    How exactly does that teach me about solidworks?
    '93 fini FD RX7 | '04 FE RX8 blog.vtxms.com
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

2d sketches are created on a plane. U need to select a plane first. Any flat surface can be used as a plane, ie the side of the rhs or the end of an extrusion. I suggest you shetch all the centre lines first then start adding weld ment pieces. Weldments work well with 3d sketches. In a 3d sketch u don't need to select a plane but u will want some reference to start with, either the origin or some existing geom. pressing TAB will select which direction you can snap to. All sketches will need to have dimensions added to the shetch geometry. Unlike autocad typing in the measurements when creating the line does not lock it in place. You sketch all the lines u want then add dimensions and constraints to hold them in place. The advantage of this is you can then go and modify dimensions later. All sketches should not have the (-), this means they are not completely defined and that some of the sketch geometry could be dragged, thus changing it.

Comment

Time for some more pictures. Here are some images of a trailer i draw up in Spaceclaim (because of my aversion to Inventor). It is a trailer that was built 25 years ago and so all the drawings were on paper and half falling apart. I drew it up so i could do some analysis on it so that I could compare the strength of a trailer being designed to an old one. First step was to model up the trailer in 3d as per the drawings then i went and created a surface version which I used in the FEA analysis.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Army Low Loader_Solid.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	6595723

Name:	Army Low Loader_Solid2.JPG
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	6595724

Name:	Army Low Loader2.JPG
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	6595725

Name:	Army Low Loader.JPG
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	6595722

Comment

Originally posted by Commotion View Post
          Time for some more pictures. Here are some images of a trailer i draw up in Spaceclaim (because of my aversion to Inventor). It is a trailer that was built 25 years ago and so all the drawings were on paper and half falling apart.
          If the trailer is still on the road now, why do you need to run FEA on it??

Looks good.

Comment

Why wouldn't you if you can? Surely a redesigned trailer would eliminate any flaws in the original design and to do that and compare them you would need to run FEA
            Custom made and replacement (CNC) intake manifold - 4 axis CNC machining - 3d modelling - tig welding

Custom Plenum Creations facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by ISL33P View Post
              Why wouldn't you if you can? Surely a redesigned trailer would eliminate any flaws in the original design and to do that and compare them you would need to run FEA
              I was joking, hence the italics and smile icon at the end.
              The joke was that if the trailer is still working after quarter of a century, does the design need improving? But I understand that these days you have to be able to prove the structure in advance before building it, no matter if they are already empirically proven to work in the real world.

Comment

Dam internet punctuation!!
                Custom made and replacement (CNC) intake manifold - 4 axis CNC machining - 3d modelling - tig welding

Comment

Got choo sukka!

Comment

The issue arose because of strength requirements the company was imposing on the new trailer design. It was extreme in my, and my colleagues, opinions so i went to the effort to show them that the previous trailer, which had endured 25 years of abuse without any major failures, was not as strong as they thought. In fact their requirements for the new trailer was approximately 2.6 times higher than the strength of the old trailer yet the design was pretty much the same and they didn't want to use any high strength Q+T steels either. I'm an engineer not a magician :knock:

Comment

A screen grab of something i was working on this week:

Comment

Have been teaching myself solidworks slowly very slowly, just trying to save myself a few bucks with having to get part models outsourced. Starting to wrap my head around it. Still confusing at times though even just for the more simple parts i need.

Comment

From Design to Product. BOOM!
                          Attached Files
                          http://www.brypar.com
                          http://www.motorsportdesignservices.com
                          Email: alex@brypar.com

Comment

I follow your work on fb and we are working on a mutual clients car, a certain Porsche.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

AHHHH….from Wollongong. That means body work to me. Am I warm?
                              http://www.brypar.com
                              http://www.motorsportdesignservices.com
                              Email: alex@brypar.com

Comment

Yes thats me.

From dream to reality......

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434106045432.jpg
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	6596072Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434106175612.jpg
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	6596073

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X