Show us your solidworks models

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still learning the basics, but it is getting easier every time. Dont really see myself needing to know anything too complex for a little while. Just got done with this little job, the guy owns the patents on the design but all drawings etc were lost when the workshop who used to make it all for him shutdown. So I had to redo it all from a sample, as I said nothing too complex but good to get a grip and the simple processes, I did have to get Playa to show me how to do a variable chamfer though. Sure does make life easier on the CNC though

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizzino4.png
Views:	1
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	6602205

Name:	pizzino.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	6602203

Name:	pizzino2.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	6602204

Comment

Originally posted by Billzilla View Post
      Learning PTC Creo at uni. I drew this blower scroll, pretty happy with it.
      ProeE/Wildfire/Creo is the tool of the devil. Its the shittiest of the sub Catia level 3D modellers. I worked with it for a year, and if I never have to see it again I'll be happy.
      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
        ProeE/Wildfire/Creo is the tool of the devil. Its the shittiest of the sub Catia level 3D modellers. I worked with it for a year, and if I never have to see it again I'll be happy.
        The Uni makes us use Solidworks, so that's what I'm using now. Similar in many ways so far though.

Comment

Solidworks and Inventor are both miles better unless Creo has improved a shittonne in the last 4 years.
          "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Solidworks is good shit, most people don't even know half of what is there, weldments, routing for piping, having a setup design library etc, variables tables where one sketch can be 1000 different parts, eg different size conveyor drums.

Inventor I can see handles point clouds better, scan to 3d in solidworks is pretty gay.
            3D scanning
            3D modelling
            Structural certification
            3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

i have already said this earlier in the thread but solidworks can achieve the same thing using many different ways. I find guys who have experience with inventor or proE can pick up SW rather easy and usually comment things like " this is pretty much the same, I don't see the real advantage". The difference is there are also much quicker ways of doing things and once u get used to doing things that way when u go back to Inventor or ProE u want to shot yourself in the head. Sheet metal sucks in inventor also the graphics suck and the inventor 2015 was still only single threaded (not sure if 2016 is multi).

ProE has a very stable environment for incontext modelling with their skeleton part type. proE also handles very large detailed models in both the modelling and drawing environment much better.

When I was at a company using inventor the drafties kept telling me how awesome inventor is with big models but even with the best desktop workstation money can buy (def contract) the detailed models were very slow to open and top level ga's would take half - and hour to load. I reckon a solidworks model of similar detail would be similar speed on my 7yo z800.

Comment

I had recently completed the detailed modelling of the hydraulics so could create maintenance and spares manuals.
                The older PC's i have seem to cope with it well considering all the hydraulic cylinders are completely modelled with all internal details, the axles and hubs are completely detailed and it has all nuts and bolts, grease nipples etc required for procurement. Also any threads that are machined have been modelled as the actual required thread.

Comment

I'm just playing with simple weldments at the moment, just a quick question for you fellas. Once I have created a cutlist etc, can solidworks from there work out how to best cut it all from 8m stock lengths of RHS? Just so I can quickly and easily work out how many lengths I need to order and where to cut what from.

Name:	tray.png
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	6603110

Comment

Not that I know. I have always done it old fashion way. There may be add ins or a macro for that but I've never looked.

Comment

I don't know of any way to do that.
                      3D scanning
                      3D modelling
                      Structural certification
                      3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Figured as much, can't have it all too easy I suppose.

Comment

So i am going to have to brush up on my modelling. Did basic ProE/strand stuff at uni, which is a while ago now.

First job will be offsetting some dimensional data for a 2d piston cylinder (dead weight testers) strain model in ansys, this just uses macros that someone had already written however, so i will just be tweaking them. Want to move over to solid works/compare with ansys longer term and probably go to a proper 3d model. Is it difficult to import surface profile data? Will probably get sent along to training courses soon enough.

Comment

If ur just building FEA models and dealing with surfaces I would look at using spaceclaim direct modeller (SCDM) which is now owned by ansys and offered with the ansys packages. It's really powerful and easy to use but does require a different thought pattern to the feature based modelling of SW. U could get a cut down version from RS comp called design spark but was too limited to be good for anything other than getting used to the style of modelling.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Any of you fine genitalmen suggest a link i can get my hands on SW to have a play?

Been interested in it for a while to diversify away from Autocad....
                                www.prerunner.com.au
                                - Facebook
                                - Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X