Show us your solidworks models

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might make a video to show top down and bottom up modeling an also ways to use a master sketch to control entire assemblies.

Some of the advanced dudes would know this already but it is handy and I have only found out about it from a dude I work with.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Hey would any of you CAD gurus be able to knock up a 3D model of an AE-86 clock surround?
      I need one for mine (as do many people) as they break whenever you remove them.

Comment

Reality would be a piece of piss but need one to measure or your to supply dimensions
        3D scanning
        3D modelling
        Structural certification
        3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Can do!
          (I think ....)

Comment

yeah pretty simple, you got my address if you want to send it through i could help ya out.

Comment

Ta.
              I just have to find a good one now.

Comment

Originally posted by PLAYA View Post
                I might make a video to show top down and bottom up modeling an also ways to use a master sketch to control entire assemblies.

Some of the advanced dudes would know this already but it is handy and I have only found out about it from a dude I work with.
                I spent prob 6-7 years using solidworks and bottom up modelling until i started with my current company. It was a fast learning curve as everything was modelled top down with parts consisting purely of shetches to form the driving geometry. In most projects there are assemblies of these driving geometry parts to form a hierarchy so its kinda like looking at the matrix lol. I also find the modelling approach differs between people so it does take some time if you take over a project somebody else has started.

I have been on an advanced solidworks course and they dont mention using top down modelling the way we do. I think its because most of the large plant design projects are done in ProE which has a "skeleton" part type built into the software and so this modelling approach is copied with the SW projects. Im sure tutorials to explain top down modelling would benefit a lot of people as a lot of the people that we hire who claim to have vast experience with SW have never encountered it before.

Comment

When he showed me I was like fuck that is smart but it would be difficult to figure it out yourself, once you are shown and then go from there it is pretty easy.
                  3D scanning
                  3D modelling
                  Structural certification
                  3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

I drew up a exhaust flange for the M42 extractors for laser cutting in eMachine.com free software. I'd like to redraw it in solidworks. What free version is best? ... Solidworks 2000?

Click image for larger version

Name:	flange.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	6578311

Comment

I believe you can download free trial although i have not tried this myself: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/purchas...=nw_swx_032012
                      If your a student of any kind you can appy to purchase a student edition: http://store.solidworks.com/studentstore/default.php

if you want cheap 3d software you can try Alibre. They use to have a free version that i tried a long time ago but now it appears they only have trial versions.

Comment

Blender is free. It's more of a creative 3D package than an engineering package though. ANother one to try for basic geometry, like this flange, would be Autodesk 123D. I've had a bit of a play with it and it looks OK. It will output the file type you need for a laser too.

123D

Blender
                        “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
                        ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I had a play with blender many years ago during high school. I don't remember it having the ability to accurately control the size of features like using dimensions in cad packages. It appears incredibly good for creating realistic scenes, my brother in law runs a blender tutorial website and I'm impressed with the stuff he can achieve with the software.

Comment

I have a screenshot of a recent design job. Unfortunately all other work is covered by a confidentiality agreement so i cannot show any of that.
                            Its not a very complicated model and i already had the supercharger and tensioner modeled but i had to model up the remaining items and produce a set of manufacturing drawings.
                            [/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Billzilla View Post
                              Hey would any of you CAD gurus be able to knock up a 3D model of an AE-86 clock surround?
                              I need one for mine (as do many people) as they break whenever you remove them.

how are you going to make new ones bill? might be easier just to make a mould from a good one, no need for drawings. my cracked clock surround matches the cracked everything else in my car so i;m not too fussed personally.

Originally posted by Commotion View Post
                              I have a screenshot of a recent design job. Unfortunately all other work is covered by a confidentiality agreement so i cannot show any of that.
                              Its not a very complicated model and i already had the supercharger and tensioner modeled but i had to model up the remaining items and produce a set of manufacturing drawings.
                              [/URL]
                              why the fixed idler, not enough belt wrap without it?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter S Johnson View Post
                                how are you going to make new ones bill?
                                My 3D printer.

Comment

Working...
                                X