X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CNC machining

Anyone else do it?

I have around 12-13 years under my belt of running CNC's. I currently have a large machine (2000x830 bed) and get some weird and wonderful jobs through the door, have made things from the likes of a billet ally engine cradle for WW2 fighter, all the way down to a custom BBQ hotplate :rotflol: but mainly a lot of industrial type stuff also spme cool stuff like PLAYA & TK's closed deck EJ

just thought I'd post some pics of stuff I have made while my machine is running, anyone else feel free to add.

custom KE10 RCA's

ally boot floor for a '34 ford coupe

these I made for PLAYA

jumbo sized cogs I machined a while back
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cog.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	6630208

and getting a finish grind to thickness

Name:	cog2.jpg
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	6630209

a couple small dies I machined up for a customer beggining middle and end product

Sometimes cut up a bit of plastic too, messy shit

I'll add some pics of some of the better jobs I get if I can find any

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Cut something like this be possible?

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=62867

Besides the obvious the drawing being wrong. Any other issues?

Comment

Do you want them to work?
          3D scanning
          3D modelling
          Structural certification
          3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Anything is possible, i imagine it would be time consuming hence bloody expensive to make not including material costs for a 1 off.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_cow View Post
              Cut something like this be possible?

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=62867

Besides the obvious the drawing being wrong. Any other issues?
              Why would you? The hard part would be the steel liner with the special hard chrome plating. I believe people are now re-plating factory housings now anyway. And a bit of devcon never hurt a rotor.

Comment

You could just make it from steel and plate it.
                3D scanning
                3D modelling
                Structural certification
                3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

The old man has 2 cnc mazak lathes and a mazak mill. He used to have a small hitachi-seiki mill which i spent ages learning how to program using G-Code. I machined up an alternator bracket which would have been pretty good except i put in one wrong coordinate and chewed into itself. That mill wasnt large enough so he traded that in on a big old mazak V-20. I haven't had a chance to learn the mazak control language and i hear a lot of people hate it but it suits the old man fine as he just does big simple stuff.

Edit: This is the sort of stuff he does. Cuts out the plate with the oxy and machines holes and other details. for reference that plate is 90mm thick.

Comment

^^ That type of thing is pretty much what i spend most of my time doing, we also have a large oxy table and high def plasma.

My mill is a mazak, first time i used mazatrol was when we bought this machine 7 years ago. Its pretty simple to pick up but only really for basic jigging and simple square/round pockets etc, anything more complicated then that i will do through powermill on the computer. Only had 2 big crashes in 7 years so not doing too badly haha

Comment

Hey only bought them to try save money. The machining bill was huge so he went and bought a pair of used machines. Then he was having huge cutting bills so he went and bought a Cnc plasma/oxy. The only thing he has to outsource now is the press work for the plate but that's not as big a cost in comparison to outlay for a press big enough to do what he needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Commotion View Post
                        The old man has 2 cnc mazak lathes and a mazak mill. He used to have a small hitachi-seiki mill which i spent ages learning how to program using G-Code. I machined up an alternator bracket which would have been pretty good except i put in one wrong coordinate and chewed into itself. That mill wasnt large enough so he traded that in on a big old mazak V-20. I haven't had a chance to learn the mazak control language and i hear a lot of people hate it but it suits the old man fine as he just does big simple stuff.

Edit: This is the sort of stuff he does. Cuts out the plate with the oxy and machines holes and other details. for reference that plate is 90mm thick.
                        That is going to make one fucking strong chain!
                        2010 State Colouring in Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Commotion View Post
                          Hey only bought them to try save money. The machining bill was huge so he went and bought a pair of used machines. Then he was having huge cutting bills so he went and bought a Cnc plasma/oxy. The only thing he has to outsource now is the press work for the plate but that's not as big a cost in comparison to outlay for a press big enough to do what he needs.
                          What sort of pressing is he doing? I was a labour at a steel fab place once I love this shit

Comment

He is making these things:

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	6595621

Comment

Why don't u just go work at your old man's lol?
                              3D scanning
                              3D modelling
                              Structural certification
                              3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Working...
                              X