CNC machining

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard chroming works well to repair undersize surfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by chartreusehj View Post
      Hard chroming works well to repair undersize surfaces.
      That has the risk of hydrogen embrittlement. I'd want to be really confident that they know what they are doing.
      Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Major View Post
        Can metal spraying increase the risk of failure? I once had a HT Holden with a factory 10 bolt Chevrolet rear axle in it. I had one of the axle shafts spray metalled as it was undersize and the axle catastrophically failed on me.
        I'd think a component under a big torsional load is a fair bit different to this. Hard to tell from the pic, any radius on those steps?

If that lower wishbone attachment point can be separated from the pin, that would make life a lot easier if you wanted new and there's no NOS out there. Unless this is for historics, a bit of 4340 turned, hardened and ground to size, would more than likely be overkill, looks like there's a bit of room to attach the through bolt other than via a one piece component?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Major View Post
          That has the risk of hydrogen embrittlement. I'd want to be really confident that they know what they are doing.
          I've had RAD Hardchroming here in Brisbane sort out a similar issue - give them a call, suspect they're geared up for preventing hydrogen embritlement (Bake it within 30minutes of being in the plating bath from memory).
          Being a bronze bush, Hardchroming is perfect for the job - if a needle roller ran on it, not so much.
          "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
            I've had RAD Hardchroming here in Brisbane sort out a similar issue - give them a call, suspect they're geared up for preventing hydrogen embritlement (Bake it within 30minutes of being in the plating bath from memory).
            Being a bronze bush, Hardchroming is perfect for the job - if a needle roller ran on it, not so much.
            Would the pitting need to be ground away first?

Edit: I just spoke to them and they do grind them first. They will bake them if requested. They don't have shotpeening facilities but they use a business nearby if requested.

Comment

Originally posted by gxxr View Post
              I'd think a component under a big torsional load is a fair bit different to this. Hard to tell from the pic, any radius on those steps?

If that lower wishbone attachment point can be separated from the pin, that would make life a lot easier if you wanted new and there's no NOS out there. Unless this is for historics, a bit of 4340 turned, hardened and ground to size, would more than likely be overkill, looks like there's a bit of room to attach the through bolt other than via a one piece component?
              No it can't be separated. Is doing the whole thing in 4340 by CNC and then hardening and grinding an option?

The first step from the right has a radius. The next change is just where it was ground and the step on the left isn't radiused as it locates the trunion.

Yes there would be room if done as two pieces for a through bolt. I'd probably move the lower control arm pivot inboard to get some negative camber as they are typically +1 degree and only toe is adjustable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kp4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	6618361

Comment

Remaking won't be a few 100 dollar option
                3D scanning
                3D modelling
                Structural certification
                3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Originally posted by PLAYA View Post
                  Remaking won't be a few 100 dollar option
                  Nothing on this car has been.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Major
                    No it can't be separated. Is doing the whole thing in 4340 by CNC and then hardening and grinding an option?
                    If this was a production item nowadays, undoubtedly it would go that way from a rough forging.

A two-off, a live tooled lathe would probably be the preference to do most of it in one go if you wanted to do CNC from bar - usually not thick on the ground in jobbing shops. Otherwise, it's a few set-ups in different machines, all adding to the time and costs....if you could find someone interested in a small job.

Not sure what's available down south, but I'd still look at spray metal. Have my doubts they'd do a little job, but no harm asking if they have recommendations, passing by A1 metallising up here I've seen what I assume is mining, power generation and State Rail (or whatever they're called now) stuff being offloaded - and they usually don't like failures. It's used in aviation too and a pretty mature technology after a century.

Comment

It's $425 + GST per kingpin to pre-grind / shot peen / plate / de-embrittle and grind to size. I have three kingpins and I'm hunting for more as I'd like to have a spare set.

Comment

Do other owners out there need new kingpins? At that price, it might be that new ones become viable in ~ 10 set batches.
                        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                          Do other owners out there need new kingpins? At that price, it might be that new ones become viable in ~ 10 set batches.
                          I reckon batches of a set of 10 would be really easy to move.

Comment

Working...
                          X