Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay plastic welders

I know folk use soldering irons etc, but there are a few 1080W plastic welders available on ebay with a few different tips and a claimed temp range of 40C - 550. Are they shit or useful for odd stuff around the shed?

I know a few bike guys that love them.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

I got the plastic welding kit Jaycar do. used a few times with great success.
      GT-P
      Bandsenkowagon

Comment

Originally posted by data_mine View Post
        I got the plastic welding kit Jaycar do. used a few times with great success.
        The Portasol or the Durtatech?
        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

The duratech one.

Fixed up a few car interior trim parts, they've stayed fixed - better than the prior superglue fixes.
          GT-P
          Bandsenkowagon

Comment

What are you wanting to weld? Type of plastic, thickness, application etc?

But yea, the one pictured is same wattage and looks like an exact Chinese copy of the proper tools used in industry for welding 10mm sheets. If it does really have same size element and move same amount of air I would assume it could do an as job in short spurts. We had $400ish units that looked exactly like that and ran for 30 hours a week and never felt warm to hold, would expect each one to last atleast 3 or 4 years before failing. I would assume the ebay one is a copy with cheaper parts and wire that are not rated for the heat and cheap elements. If you are doing 10 mins here and there and only using it occasionally, I would assume it would last forever
            Originally posted by E-Z
            If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Comment

With the Lister knockoffs just be careful to gradually warm them up to working temp and cool them down before you turn them off or they tend to kill elements.
              www.DRIVENFX.com Performance Engine Building, Auto Electrical (Wiring Looms, ECU Installs, Diganoses and Repair), Custom Automotive Electronics, Car Preparation, Car Setup, Trackside Services,

PM me for more info

Comment

Originally posted by Panda I give no fuck View Post
                What are you wanting to weld? Type of plastic, thickness, application etc?

But yea, the one pictured is same wattage and looks like an exact Chinese copy of the proper tools used in industry for welding 10mm sheets. If it does really have same size element and move same amount of air I would assume it could do an as job in short spurts. We had $400ish units that looked exactly like that and ran for 30 hours a week and never felt warm to hold, would expect each one to last atleast 3 or 4 years before failing. I would assume the ebay one is a copy with cheaper parts and wire that are not rated for the heat and cheap elements. If you are doing 10 mins here and there and only using it occasionally, I would assume it would last forever
                Mostly just odds and sods car shit. The main thing is a undertray with a crack in it. The plastic is quite thick. I'd expect it'd need a good rest frequently and as such I would be a lot like me. Do a little bit work and then have a good rest

Comment

You should buy one and lend it to me.

I could 3D print things for you return.
                  #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ed View Post
                    You should buy one and lend it to me.

I could 3D print things for you return.
                    No problems. Ordered one so we'll see. I have a 3D printer I have started to build but until I can get something out of it, I may take you up on your offer.

Comment

What are these like for thin small dash plastics or they mainly for bumper bars & bikes?
                      an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

I've got a kit with 5 difference plastic rod types and it's a bit of a hit and miss as the plastic type needs to be the same. I've used it bout 10 times worked prob third of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenno View Post
                          With the Lister knockoffs just be careful to gradually warm them up to working temp and cool them down before you turn them off or they tend to kill elements.
                          Sorry for the stupid question, how do you cool them down before turning them off?
                          '13 Yamaha R1 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

I suppose just turn the temp down to min for a while before switch off. I read something about it on one of the ebay listings

Comment

Originally posted by dsm2002 View Post
                              I suppose just turn the temp down to min for a while before switch off. I read something about it on one of the ebay listings
                              yeap, there are 2 dials, element power and fan speed. basically crank up fan speed to top and turn off element and walk away for 10 mins. this is recommended and good practice with propper product
                              similar to when you give a hammer drill too much of a hard time. run it flat out for a few mins with no load on it to pump the heat away
                              Originally posted by E-Z
                              If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Comment

Working...
                              X