X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
    Waterjet or not fuck MDF in general.
    Cuts very quik and for armour prototyping is perfect.

Cut it, fit it, tweak DXF Design and repeat. Once happy cut steel (just cause MDF is happy don't mean steel is).

Throw MDF in bin.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

I've just started mucking around with woodworking. Gotta say it's not bad fun. Had a go at making a bed head which was probably too big of a first project but it came up ok. All of the timber is new, made to look aged.

Built all of that and THEN bought a table saw. Should have done it the other way!

Downside of woodwork, especially in a workshop shared with metal work is the bloody saw dust.
      '60 VW Kombi Ute
      '62 Morris Mini
      '15 Audi S3 Sedan - SOLD
      '10 G6E Turbo - SOLD
      '99 RZ Supra - SOLD

Comment

If you're after inspiration, look up Matthias wandel on you tube. Wood worker that makes his own power tools/jigs etc.
        Very cool.
        GAS 260Z RB26DET
        GAS 1600 3SGE BEAMS

Comment

Originally posted by QABB View Post
          Built all of that and THEN bought a table saw. Should have done it the other way!

Downside of woodwork, especially in a workshop shared with metal work is the bloody saw dust.
          That is pretty sweet. And yeah, bloody sawdust everywhere. I do most of my cuts outside in the rear laneway that our garage comes off, but still with any breeze the area under the racecar fills up with sawdust.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

That bed head is awesome.

And measure twice cut once is a very good rule to follow as wood is fucken ordinary to weld back together if you fuck up !!

Comment

Originally posted by Fondles View Post
              measure twice cut once
              My old man's favourite saying.

Mine was "Its close enough".......

Comment

Originally posted by Fondles View Post
                Cuts very quik and for armour prototyping is perfect.

Cut it, fit it, tweak DXF Design and repeat. Once happy cut steel (just cause MDF is happy don't mean steel is).

Throw MDF in bin.
                I mean for dust, touching it etc. I made a desk out of bare MDF a long time ago, what a fucking stupid idea that was. I used to think it was the shit for speaker boxes but I've made a few out of plywood (well, subwoofers) and it has worked fine.

hard to beat for prototype work I suppose, depends what plywood is like in Thailand.

Originally posted by QABB View Post

sawdust is pretty shit, I use my shopvac on tools I can adapt it to but usually wear a respirator and sweep up afterwards, or do routing etc over a 44 gallon drum in the back yard. I do metalwork outside as the workshop isn't really suited to hot metal anyway.

Matthias is great for a lot of stuff, not a fan of his "put a 1/2 inch radius on every edge" technique though. He demonstrates the common practice of mainly using your tools to make other tools pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jimmydiresta is worth checking out, most of his woodwork is somewhat rough and ready but it gets the job done quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1600 View Post
                  My old man's favourite saying.

Mine was "Its close enough".......
                  "I've cut it 3 times and it's still too short"

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                    I mean for dust, touching it etc. I made a desk out of bare MDF a long time ago, what a fucking stupid idea that was. I used to think it was the shit for speaker boxes but I've made a few out of plywood (well, subwoofers) and it has worked fine.

hard to beat for prototype work I suppose, depends what plywood is like in Thailand.

Yeah for furniture and stuff MDF needs to be sealed/painted/trimmed with vinyl.

I use MDF for prototyping as it is 6mm thick, same as the steel I use.

Plywood here is real crap, but the marine ply I use is awesome.

My sub box is marine ply.

Comment

Yeah the dust is a mother fucker. Even with twin bag 3ph dust extractors our cnc's still make a fucking mess.

Comment

I do a bit, making guitars and stuff. Havent had a shed for a while but just bought a house so will be back into it soon.

As far as tools go, Japanese stuff can be interesting with file saws/etc being really nice for fine stuff, but you still want a bunch of power tools. Good quality chisels/etc but its been explained to me that the most important thing is learning to sharpen your tools properly. A $$$$ tool thats mildly blunt isnt as good as a $2 tool thats been properly sharpened, but the $$$$ might hold a nice edge for longer/etc.

All that sort of stuff is only really important with nice woods. With guitars you can spend $400 on a few hundred grams of wood... you really dont wanna fuck that up by slipping with a blunt chisel! (Im not at the level yet... hope to be with new shed though)

If youre building with MDF and painting it, everything is far less critical.
                        #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Comment

i used to do heaps, plenty of woodturning my favourite stuff was getting old greyed hardwood that people think is good for nothing but firewood and giving it a new lease of life. have cut up many a 50+ year old railway sleepers into boards and made some shit. dont get much time anymore more into cars these days anyway
                          E30 325is M20 3.1L

Comment

Originally posted by Euronymous View Post
                            Yeah the dust is a mother fucker. Even with twin bag 3ph dust extractors our cnc's still make a fucking mess.
                            And it always will, Get cyclone and do it properly, anything with a bag does not catch the fine micron dust that gets in your lungs and stays there.

Comment

Apart from carbon filters, the bag type is all we sell. Mainly due to most cabinet makers don't seem to want anything else

Comment

Originally posted by Euronymous View Post
                                Apart from carbon filters, the bag type is all we sell. Mainly due to most cabinet makers don't seem to want anything else
                                And then they complain when the dust imbedded in their lungs forces them out of their job. There is only one decent cyclone available in this country anyway and it is sold direct to the user. http://clearvueoz.com.au This separates the air from the dust better than 99%.

Comment

Working...
                                X