Anyone doing some woodworking?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to put the roof down on the MX5, seatbelt it into the passenger seat, then drag it into work with me because I couldn't close the roof with it on the passenger seat. Looking forward to unpacking it tonight and turning studs into joist packers. Then I might finally get around to doing something with all the timber I dragged home from dad's place a few years back.

Comment

Ran a few boards through the thicknesser today, pretty hard to get wrong but the 3mm max cut is a bit of a joke, I reckon I took about 2mm total off after about 5 or so passes and it was starting to complain about that. Maybe the 3mm is for balsa wood?

Don't think I nicked the knives yet, but it did suck a knot out which made a bad noise. Filled up the shovac pretty quick which was a good confirmation of how much faster it is than doing it any other way.

Comment

Don't know about the H&F thicknesser, should be carbide inserts available....plus I'd expect 4 sides. Biggest advantage, much, much less noise for the horrible things.

There was a woodworking shop coming up on Grays out Penrith way this week, saw they had one that was at $9 on Saturday, but probably a grand now!

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
          The annoying thing is that the small cyclones are rarely designed for a home user, and even when they are (like Clearvue) they aren't available.
          Setup an Oneida Dust Deputy for dealing with plaster dust while renovating - works fucking great with a shitty old hoover hooked up to it.

I've recently started down the path of the restoration of a mid century modern chair - a Don Rex Speedframe.
          "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by gxxr View Post
            Don't know about the H&F thicknesser, should be carbide inserts available....plus I'd expect 4 sides. Biggest advantage, much, much less noise for the horrible things.

There was a woodworking shop coming up on Grays out Penrith way this week, saw they had one that was at $9 on Saturday, but probably a grand now!
            Yeah, it comes with double sided steel inserts, but 4 sided carbide inserts are available fairly cheaply from the US. Works bloody well.

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
            Setup an Oneida Dust Deputy for dealing with plaster dust while renovating - works fucking great with a shitty old hoover hooked up to it.

I've recently started down the path of the restoration of a mid century modern chair - a Don Rex Speedframe.
            Yeah, i ended up building a Thien baffle for a bin and ran that for the woodworking stuff.

Works quite well, and copes with the large volume from the thicknesser.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget
            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Oz WW forum for those interested. It has a huge amount sub fora for different interests.

http://www.woodworkforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mini View Post
                Oz WW forum for those interested. It has a huge amount sub fora for different interests.

http://www.woodworkforums.com
                yeah but then you need to get used to a whole new set of rules and weird beards.

I'll join a woodwork forum if I get more in to it, most of it has been done before so unless you are doing something cutting edge that isn't based on glue, nails, pocket holes, screws you can find how to do it pretty easy.

Comment

Down the rabbit hole I go.
                  Picked up a Kreg R3 Pocket hole jig on the weekend so I could put some hidden screws into the mid century chair I'm restoring... I've already used them to repair a desk, and now I'm looking where I can use it everywhere else...
                  Also saw the Festool van driving along yesterday - I's like a more inviting, less rapey looking Snap on truck... but with greater violation I imagine!
                  Far out we get screwed on Kreg and Festool pricing here!
                  "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Down the rabbit hole I go.
                    Picked up a Kreg K3 Pocket hole jig on the weekend so I could put some hidden screws into the mid century chair I'm restoring... I've already used them to repair a desk, and now I'm looking where I can use it everywhere else...
                    How about a photo of it in action?

Comment

Got a photo of the holes it drills, didn't take any action photos though.
                      Holes drilled:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190708_203632.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	6619439
                      Screwed and glued:

Name:	IMG_20190708_205455.jpg
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	6619440
                      Does exactly what it says on the box!

Name:	IMG_20190708_210726.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	6619441Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190708_210717.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	6619442

Comment

Ah OK thanks. It's simpler than I thought it would be

Comment

Got a photo of the holes it drills, didn't take any action photos though.
                          Holes drilled:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]112586[/ATTACH]
                          Screwed and glued:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]112587[/ATTACH]
                          Does exactly what it says on the box!
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]112588[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]112589[/ATTACH]
                          As much as the autistic Canadian hates them (or pretends ot hate them) Pocket hole jigs are great, bunnings sells an off brand one that i'm sure would be OK.

One thing to watch for is they love pulling boards past each other when doing the screws up, clamping the bits of wood to be butt jointed so they can't shift fixes this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                            bunnings sells an off brand one that i'm sure would be OK.
                            The Bunnings Craftright one is half the Kreg price, but much more of a fuckaround to use (And I can't tell if it's actually got a steel insert - the home depot cheapy the americans talk about doesn't, and wears out very fast). The Kreg has adjustable stops that are pre positioned for common material thicknesses (12mm through to 38mm) and a neat jig for setting the drill stop built into the case. Having brought and used the Kreg before knowing about the craftright, I'd still fork out the $60 for the Kreg any day of the week.

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                            One thing to watch for is they love pulling boards past each other when doing the screws up, clamping the bits of wood to be butt jointed so they can't shift fixes this problem.
                            I guess that's where I'd throw a doweling jig at it and use alignment dowels as well as the pocket screws. Like I said - down the rabbit hole I go!
                            The Bunnings Haron jig @ $21.95 looks like it'd do the job - possibly with more flexibility than the more expensive ones.

Comment

Well, fuck, this is a killer deal:
                              https://www.totaltools.com.au/power-...lamp-krr3promo
                              Wish I realised that Total Tools carried Kreg - much closer to me than carbatec.

Comment

The Kreg systems are great, their circular saw jig is awesome, and the R4 kit is brilliant if you are doing lots of pieces. Really takes out the time from setup.
                                Chris
                                ------
                                The new nugget
                                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                                X