Lightyear Composites

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you may as well go with the full width one. I don't find it offensive. Just hope you can balance out the front aero.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

I can add and remove the flaps as we go. As mentioned, figured I can mount them from the end plates, so simple bunch of laser cut end plates in different configurations, and suddenly have infinite wing combinations
      Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
      "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Originally posted by Fondles View Post
        know anyone that does a fastback for em ?
        No fastbacks but there is an AM hardtop for them now. http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/61-2024.html

Would look tops as a fastback, especially if you could get the lines to flow like the 124 spider/coupe renderings.
        Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Taking a break from the AU on gas in space thread, it's hard work keeping it up.
          I thought I should update this. The NB fastbacks are being made, finally. It's taken forever. Just waiting on the windows to be supplied, should be Tuesday. And I put one of the new fastbacks on an NA to make the boot to suit the older shape car.
          This time I included a boot spoiler built in. It will suit the shape so much better than the squarer boot of the early MX5's.
          So that is now getting moulded as well.
          Not sure if I mentioned it, but I stripped an MX5 hardtop, moulded the outside, and remade the inner frame to suit generic automotive rubbers and get rid of any gaps that will cause wind noise or water entry.
          So many hours involved.
          Here is a sneak peak.

I have also prepped the wing mould for the main element, I wasn't happy with the finish of the surface as it had imperfections from the PVA layer. I sanded it all out, and buffed it. Applied several coats of mould sealer followed by several coats of wax. Next week I will make a wing with all the redesign alloy bits. Look forward to testing a swan neck set up on the MX5.
          The boot started like this. I merely cut the hump out of the NB boot, continuously trimmed it until it was the right size and flowed with the roof section, then bonded it on. Plenty of filling and sanding later and we have a part ready to mould.

Comment

I forgot about this thread.
            Brendan made a video for the guys that are receiving delivery. He did a brilliant job.

Comment

It's been a long process, but it's finally happening. Once I finish the next batch I want to get back onto the wings and make one for the commodore to test at Phillip island for the next VicV8 round. Then start looking at making them to sell and try and make some of my money back I have invested.
              I am getting so many enquiries from US, UK and Europe. I will look into container shipping prices and distribution. Next I will need help to get the work done.

Comment

European Distribution is easy
                Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

I am getting bulk messages and emails coming in from all over the world now. The video was made for the guys getting delivery. But it makes a good video showing the fastback at the same time. Seems to be popular. 1000 views in under a day. When I get back from Europe in late September I will be ramping up the promo and manufacturing. Looking forward to catching up if we can make it work out.

Comment

I do a lot of Fiberglassing, have only given carbon a go once before i knew about vacuum bagging. maybe it is time to get back into it.

Any recommendations on a vacuum to buy? i just want to make my door's in carbon LOL.
                    CISCOKIDS
                    The Gentlemen's Club
                    Midnight Rocker

Comment

nice video -

question : appears no weather sealing (or drain lip) between the new boot lid and the fastback ?

if you were leaving it on - you'd want something there-especially in wet uk ?

or sold as 'race use only'?

Comment

The boot seals against the boot rubber just like normal.

Comment

Iron bark Composites is where I buy the vac pump and gear from. He delivers too.

Comment

Originally posted by lightyear View Post
                            The boot seals against the boot rubber just like normal.
                            ahh yes see that on the boot lid now... . also see that there is a 'bulkhead' on the fastback to seal the cabin from the gap beween the boot and interior .

Comment

Yep, I thought of everything lol.

Comment

Originally posted by lightyear View Post
                                Yep, I thought of everything lol.

yeah but do dead hookers fit in the boot......

Comment

Working...
                                X