Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cant weld aluminium for shit - advice ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m just about to finish my second bottle of argon (d sized). My tig welding is still very fucking shit. The only thing I sort of was impressed with was the way it would spot weld thin metal.

Seem to burn through everything I’m welding.

Comment

Originally posted by snavy View Post
      I’m just about to finish my second bottle of argon (d sized). My tig welding is still very fucking shit. The only thing I sort of was impressed with was the way it would spot weld thin metal.

Seem to burn through everything I’m welding.
      Maybe start with steel, run a few hundred beads on a plate and practice your filler feeding. Then change over to aluminum (obviously change all of your settings and polarity) and you might have a better time of it. Ferrous tig is alot easier than ally, and probably easier to learn.
      Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

my ally welding has always been ordinary at best, picked up a torch at work yesterday and welded like a pro ( production welder pro, not stack dimes pro)..... 1st time on a Fronius machine and what a pleasure to use.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Join the club
          Originally posted by Walt Kowalski:
          I knew it. That orange bastard is controlling the weather with HAARP just to save his Mar-a-Lago property where he intends to host his handler, Vladimir Putin, at next years G7 which will be morphed back into the G8.

Comment

I started watching beginner guides to tig welding again and worked out the reason I’m so shit at tig is my helmet setting were all wrong. Welding better now but still shit haha.

Comment

Originally posted by snavy View Post
              I started watching beginner guides to tig welding again and worked out the reason I’m so shit at tig is my helmet setting were all wrong. Welding better now but still shit haha.
              Link the beginners guides here, im starting to want to go back to basics and build up again. See what i missed.
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget
              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

FWIW, switching to Lanthanated electrodes transformed the consistency of my welding aluminium.

I had used Thoriated, & tried Zirconated as well, but it was always a lottery whether it would be a clean weld or a shitty mess.

It didn't matter how well my preparation would be, it was always hit & miss, used to drive me up the wall.

To the extent that I was going to bin the Boswell TIG I have & spend ~$5k (Which I really didn't want to!) on a Kempi machine.

Lanthanated , no problem. Works every time for me now.

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post

Link the beginners guides here, im starting to want to go back to basics and build up again. See what i missed.
                  Sorry I can’t remember but he said if you cannot see the tip of your tungsten then your helmet is set too light. He was right I had mine set in a way where the arc was sort of blinding me from seeing what was going on.

Comment

I found this good for beginner- level advice.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=38zP4cu8kgg">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=38zP4cu8kgg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="873" height="525">

Comment

So my TIG was going great on AC for ages, until recently when i swapped gas bottles and suddenly im getting this:

Same settings, same tungstens, just different gas. Gas works fine with DC on stainless. Its a CoreGas swap, wonder if they have filled it with ArgoShield instead of pure Argon...
                      Last edited by takai; 23-10-19, 09:55 PM.
                      Chris
                      ------
                      The new nugget
                      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Argoshield wouldn't work with tig regardless of what material you are working with, you need pure argon. Might be an issue with the machine. Is High Frequency on and working?

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
                          Argoshield wouldn't work with tig regardless of what material you are working with, you need pure argon. Might be an issue with the machine. Is High Frequency on and working?
                          Yeah, that is true. Welds stainless ok, so guessing its something with the TIG.

Someone suggested the ground lead, as my stainless welds were looking a little dull too. Will give it a check over. Also ordered a new pack of 2.4mm Lanthanated as mine seem to have gone walkabout.
                          Last edited by takai; 26-10-19, 03:23 PM.
                          Chris
                          ------
                          The new nugget

Comment

Make sure you check your gas flow at the end of the torch with a flow meter. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gas-Flow...oAAOSw5p5dXOwN

Don't rely on the gauges or flow meter on your regulator, these are pointless in my opinion as the reading at that end could be totally different to the other end.

Too much gas or too little gas can have disastrous results.

You might already know this but it may benefit someone else.

Comment

Oh hadnt seen ones like that, the only ones i had seen were digital things and expensive. Will have to order one.
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget

Comment

Gas flow is just an arbitrary number anyway. Just adjust it until it looks right. Different cup sizes etc will change your target number anyway.
                                Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Working...
                                X