Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cant weld aluminium for shit - advice ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found the issue... crack in the gas feed line between reg and machine, probably opened up when i was changing the gas bottle.

That said, considering getting a new machine now anyway....
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

What's wrong with the machine, if it is working properly why not stick with it? Anything new you get that is around the $1000 range is going to come from China anyway. I've used a Kemppi at work a few times and to be honest there is not much difference between my Chinese AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
        What's wrong with the machine, if it is working properly why not stick with it? Anything new you get that is around the $1000 range is going to come from China anyway. I've used a Kemppi at work a few times and to be honest there is not much difference between my Chinese AC/DC
        Just a few oddities with the machine. One is how the foot pedal works and the fact that to strike an arc it sometimes needs to be flat out and this trips the power breaker (10A garage). The other is that the settings all seem quite 'tight' with not much tolerance between the sweet spot and spattery nasty in AC mode. DC its fine all the time. Given Im not welding all the time it would be nice to have something that remembers settings, or at least has settings that are easily recordable rather than "about here on the gauge."

Thinking about getting the SWS Alumtig 200, as even though its China sourced and built the inverter tech has come along a fair way in 10 years (as it would for any of the modern Chinese stuff).
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Has it always had those issues or have they recently happened? It might be worth opening up the cover and seeing if there are any loose connectors, there are a lot of little plugs inside these machines. When I first got mine I could only turn the amperage up to 100A instead of 200A, opened it up and there was a connector sitting there unplugged, plugged it in and problem solved. Must have came loose during shipping.

That SWS looks like it has some decent warranty on it.

Comment

Has it always had those issues or have they recently happened? It might be worth opening up the cover and seeing if there are any loose connectors, there are a lot of little plugs inside these machines. When I first got mine I could only turn the amperage up to 100A instead of 200A, opened it up and there was a connector sitting there unplugged, plugged it in and problem solved. Must have came loose during shipping.

That SWS looks like it has some decent warranty on it.
            Bit of both. In AC mode the open circuit voltage is half the DC voltage, so it always requires more stick to get going. But that wasnt an issue when i had proper 15A circuits. Now i have to run it off an Ampfibian, which means that you need to be gentle with it at first.

For the other 'issues' they are mainly related to my lack of skill and being able to compensate for something that isn't ideal. I kind of figure that with the time wasted learning bad techniques and habits i should just splash the extra $1000 or so and buy the SKS or Razor. (SKS is winning out currently).

That said, always open to the idea that I’m just missing something really logical and need someone to show it to me.
            Last edited by takai; 06-11-19, 10:45 PM.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget

Comment

Only thing is if there is a problem with the power supply you are going to have issues with the next welder you plug into it.

Comment

Only thing is if there is a problem with the power supply you are going to have issues with the next welder you plug into it.
                Not if the OCV is higher by default on newer IGBT based welders. I borrowed a Razor AC/DC 200 a while ago, and didn't have the issues.

Either way, i notice that SWS offer a 90 day no questions asked refund, so i may get one just to test.
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                  Either way, i notice that SWS offer a 90 day no questions asked refund, so i may get one just to test.
                  That is a generous offer and would definitely be worth doing.

Comment

That is a generous offer and would definitely be worth doing.
                    Yeah, pretty generous:

https://swswelding.com.au/pages/delivery

From all the reviews I suspect I will like it, but that sort of service just tops it off.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget

Comment

I got some gas lenses and glass cups! Definitely better but still cannot tig!

Comment

Working...
                      X