Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cant weld aluminium for shit - advice ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLAYA View Post
    First thing is get the torch lead off the ground so it is not weighing your hand down. Best thing is it supported about hand height with a bit of sag so you can move around. Even over your shoulder or something. Also I have these big aluminium boxes I welded up U can sit things on to get them up higher. I also use those tig fingers from welding tips and tricks so U can slide along what you are welding even though it is roasting hot.
    + 1 for this. I always lay the lead over my shoulder, and the TIG finger is the best thing since sliced bread.

Comment

Yeah, i lay it over my shoulder too, and use a TIG finger. But I strongly suspect that having a single cord/lead rather than the two for the torch and something that is more flexible than the solid hunk of copper and separate nylon gas line produced in the cheapest factory in China might be good. Plus the thinner handle of the 17 would be nice, as I never use the torch switch anyway as it is a bit finicky (sometimes it debounces the 4T mode)
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I used the twin line setup for 10 years before upgrading to a WP-26F torch with flex lead that integrates the gas line into the lead. Really good upgrade: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...raft+&_sacat=0

Comment

Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
          I used the twin line setup for 10 years before upgrading to a WP-26F torch with flex lead that integrates the gas line into the lead. Really good upgrade: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...raft+&_sacat=0
          That is basically what im looking at, only a WP17 rather than 26. Then I can get a 9 to interchange for smaller stuff.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I ended up getting the cheapy one from AliExpress just to see what they are like. Has the gas piggyback off the DINSE connector:

and came with a 3/8 fitting that needed swapping for the 5/8 -18, which are available off the shelf from BOC:

Standard WP17 torch, which feels quite good and light without all of the guff:

Had a simple thumb/finger switch on it, that i took off as ill just use the foot pedal:

Annoyingly though the connector is non-servicable, so its a single unit until it dies.

From the dry runs i did with it it seemed much more comfortable than the WP26 torch with its big heavy cable.

Ill have to give it a go when i get a chance with some actual welding.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget

Comment

Haha I tried blaming my equipment but couldn’t as I have a top of line ac dc Lincoln. Mate at work with decades experience can’t do it that well either!?!

Comment

I can blame the equipment, for what it is worth...

Broken after a couple of months of DIY level welding...
                Last edited by takai; 14-09-19, 09:56 PM.
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                  FWIW, flex head torches... don't like to be flexed much or often, china grade doesn't help either.
                  If you need to bend your torch a lot, get a swivel head.

Get onto CK worldwide and order a torch with a superflex hose, they are relatively cheap and its good quality stuff. They also honour their warranty and offer real support on parts.
                  I use a CK9 flex, 2 years strong, love it!

Comment

Got a 17 weldcraft torch and leads, that's been sitting for the best part of 15 years and used about twice - if you want to stick with those clunky set-ups and want to avoid the currency tax. A 9 size, as Dimi mentions, watercooled at least, covers virtually anything automotive and is so much nicer all round.

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post

Less than $10 to fix that, just don't flex the next one so much

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WP-17F-S...gAAOSwT2pbPiR6

Comment

I think I read somewhere that it's best to run a bead on some scrap first then flex it, as it softens the rubber.
                        Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post

Less than $10 to fix that, just don't flex the next one so much

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WP-17F-S...gAAOSwT2pbPiR6
                          Yeah, already fixed. Paid $12 to get one from within Aus though.

More of a humorous post after snavys.
                          Chris
                          ------
                          The new nugget

Comment

OK, so getting into this alloy welding shit!!

Have a BOC smootharc 185 AC/DC machine

Anyway went to set it up with a foot pedal and find out that it has a 2 pin connector.......queue all the peoples telling me that can only do it with a 5/7/11ty pin connector

So over to you fine chaps, is there a way to set up a tig with a foot pedal when only a 2 pin connector??

Comment

Originally posted by Ke26 Wagon View Post
                              OK, so getting into this alloy welding shit!!

Have a BOC smootharc 185 AC/DC machine

Anyway went to set it up with a foot pedal and find out that it has a 2 pin connector.......queue all the peoples telling me that can only do it with a 5/7/11ty pin connector

So over to you fine chaps, is there a way to set up a tig with a foot pedal when only a 2 pin connector??
                              Smootharc should have a 5pin connector, as seen here: https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/bo...oc185acdc-fc-p
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget

Comment

Its the previous model with a 2 pin connector

Comment

Working...
                                X