Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angle grinder proliferation

So I own one 115mm angle grinder and need more, have been planning to get a 125mm grinder too so I can leave one set up for cutting and the other for grinding or whatever.

However recently I notice Bunnins sells 100mm XU1 grinders for $21, which is about as much as a paint/rust strip wheel. Why shouldn't I just buy a few of these grinders? my ideal plan was to have all 125mm units so everything is interchangeable, but it probably doesn't matter if the little ones just have wire wheels or whatever on them and I have at least two. 115 and 125mm grinders interchange somewhat.

I've always considered 100mm grinders to be toys, but that's all a mate has and he seems to do OK with it.

thots?

I have maybe 5 125mm grinders. 2 aldis, 2 makitas and a bosch cordless. Never bothered with the smaller wheels, 125 is the best size imo. When I was pumping out rock sliders to sell, multiple grinders with different wheels saved bulk time.

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

The 100mm grinders have fuck all power - no chance of pushing a wire wheel.
      Also as you know they have a smaller bore size than a five inch grinder.

TLDR Don't waste your time on anything other than a 5 inch grinder.
      Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

I'll go against the grain.
        4"are very handy for 1 handed operation (don't kid yourself you do it) for long periods without tiring. But there are definitely 4"grinders and 4"grinders.
        GAS 260Z RB26DET
        GAS 1600 3SGE BEAMS

Comment

If you daily I would go with something decent not weekend warrior spec.

Defo need both 4 and 5".

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

I have 5 grinders, all the old 5" Supercheap home brand stuff. 1x cutting disc, 1x grinding disc, 1x wire wheel and 2x flap discs (40 and 120 grit). Saves so much time having multiple grinders, highly recommended.

That said, get the ones with the locking switch that is up near the head, not the ones with the trigger type switch half way down the body.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget
            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Cheers dudes, I think i'll get the cheapy. Ideally I'd only use half decent 5" grinders and buy a 100mm if the need ever arose.

Here is the suspect, it looks pretty shit and the thumbswitch is on the back which isn't great, but if it sucks it will suck for cheap. I have a few XU1 tools which get used little and are pretty good. I scrubbed mill scale off some steel yesterday with a strip of old 80 grit sanding belt and it aggravated my "dishpan hands" so this will do that job at least.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/xu1-500w...inder_p0011397

This is the next proper one I will get (I think bunnings do a cheaper one that looks the same, seem to remember it being cheaper) - it will become the main cutting grinder as it is thin and easy to hold with one hand. I think the thumb-switch being there is a good thing? my current grinder has it underneath about half way up and it isn't too bad.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bosch-bl...discs_p6200198

Originally posted by da9jeff View Post
              I have maybe 5 125mm grinders. 2 aldis, 2 makitas and a bosch cordless. Never bothered with the smaller wheels, 125 is the best size imo. When I was pumping out rock sliders to sell, multiple grinders with different wheels saved bulk time.
              yeah if I was doing production i'd be getting a few proper ones for cutting and grinding and shitters for light duty stuff, one grinder per wheel.

Originally posted by awdmoke View Post
              The 100mm grinders have fuck all power - no chance of pushing a wire wheel.
              Also as you know they have a smaller bore size than a five inch grinder.

TLDR Don't waste your time on anything other than a 5 inch grinder.
              yeah wire wheels suck the juice. I've got a 9" for things needing lots of wire wheeling, but the spongy pad ones are so much faster at getting rust and shit off I don't use wire wheels much.

Originally posted by garvice View Post
              4"are very handy for 1 handed operation (don't kid yourself you do it) for long periods without tiring. But there are definitely 4"grinders and 4"grinders.
              I use my 4.5" one handed a fair bit, if there is a specific use for this thing I'll be able to test it out. Will probably buy just one cutting disc for it to see how well it does that job.

Originally posted by Fondles View Post
              If you daily I would go with something decent not weekend warrior spec.

Defo need both 4 and 5".
              I'm not even a weekend warrior, i'm lucky to get a few hours a week to play with sparks, so this should help a bit with productivity.

Originally posted by takai View Post
              I have 5 grinders, all the old 5" Supercheap home brand stuff. 1x cutting disc, 1x grinding disc, 1x wire wheel and 2x flap discs (40 and 120 grit). Saves so much time having multiple grinders, highly recommended.

That said, get the ones with the locking switch that is up near the head, not the ones with the trigger type switch half way down the body.
              Cheers Takai, sometimes I think I have/buy too many tools so it's good to hear from someone who has the sickness way worse than me

supercheap's "direct power" offering is tempting but it costs $1.50 more than the bunnings junker, and it wouldn't match the other blue junk I already have.

Comment

The problem with the 100mm ones is the arbor size, they have a much smaller arbor than the 125mm ones which really limits your choice of consumables.

See if you can find some of these, they are essentially what I have: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...tt/342601.html
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget
                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                  The problem with the 100mm ones is the arbor size, they have a much smaller arbor than the 125mm ones which really limits your choice of consumables.

See if you can find some of these, they are essentially what I have: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...tt/342601.html
                  Yeah I suppose, the last few wire wheels I've bought came with reducing apaptors. Good price in the link, probably why they are all gone.

Just bought an xu1, someone opened the box of one so I had a feel and it was pretty comfy, they also had 100mm ruobis on sale for 30 bucks but they were heavy (heavier than some of the 5" grinders) and front heavy and not comfy and I wanted a 20 dollar grinder not a 30 dollar grinder.

I'll probably get an ozito cordless grinder next time I have a lockpicking job, and just keep an eye out for bargain corded 5 inchers.

May even do an unboxing video.

Comment

I've got one of those XU1s, but I think a slightly earlier model. I have it permanently fitted with a flap disc, and used it for fitting up the fish mouths on the roll cage I just finished. It's got more than enough grunt for that task, and it's relatively light, so easy to wield with one hand. The switch is pretty stiff though, I suggest you try it before you buy.

I also have a 5" AEG with a cutting disk, and another 4" (Might be a Ryobi) with a grinding disc. Not having to change discs is a luxury.

Comment

Only issues with XU1 grinders is they get hot quick, are loud and not ergonomic to hold.
                      The motor and spinny bits are good enough and they do continue to work even when you have to wear a welding glove to tolerate the heat, I've got one that I used a wire wheel on till the fucking thing glowed and smoked and it still works.

Fuck though, the entry level Makita and Bosch grinders for $70 do make them look like the $19 bits of disposable Chinese shit they are lol

Comment

Originally posted by garvice View Post
                        This. The extra weight is noticable if you are holding it one handed for a decent amount of time.

I just got one of the "cheapy" Ryobi 5"/125s and they are pretty decent
                        1978 Gemini Sedan - Powered by i change my mind every week
                        1980 Gemini Sedan
                        1992 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

Comment

had a go at it today, getting hot is right, I ran it long enough to take an RPM reading ('cause that's how I roll) and the "angle bit" got pretty warm. It doesn't like cutting much, but it spins the abrasive pad wheel pretty good.

safety switch is a bit annoying, if I didn't think I'd need to take it back multiple times within the warranty period i'd un-safety it.

short unbox/demo vid on the way I guess.

Comment

I've got a 100mm and a 125mm just find myself reaching for the 125mm more often than not, I don't find it too heavy for one handing as the amount of times I do that are few and far between. Bang for buck IMO is the Makita GA5030 it's 720w, about $80 and gets kicked, dropped, and beaten like a red headed step child.
                            I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me...

Comment

My 20 year old black&decker "professional" 115mm weighs 1.9kg compared to the 1.5kg of the XU1.

The guard on the xu1 is annoying, needs a screwdriver to adjust it, but I've set it where it needs to be for stripping as opposed to cutting and it will probably stay there. It winds the retention nut on really tight too, had to use the spanner to get the cutting disc off. I won't be using it to cut anything again though so no big deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X