Angle grinder proliferation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garvice View Post
    Have dedicated grinders, still need to move guard, more so when cutting then grinding. Use to run no guard but put the guard back on as it's the quickest way to hang them, don't even need to wait for disc to stop. My Hitachi I can spin the guard with the grinder running (I know, shouldn't do that, going to pay for it one day).
    I've got a Bosch 5" that has a rotatable guard with a spring loaded lock thingo. I'll get a picture of it, works well and takes no time or effort to move.

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
      I picked up two of these at Bunnings for $50 each on clearance. Good buy if you can find some locally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E81121F4-930E-456B-B3CD-950DE2698985.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	7187624
      cool, need to use mine a bit today and see if it is usable for anything but grinding, think i've got enough grinders for now.

Comment

Thanks guys, I ended up going Metabos for a 4" that has a tooless guard. Seemed to be the only one that came with a slide switch and was tooless in a 4"size. Lots in 5" but not in 4".
        GAS 260Z RB26DET
        GAS 1600 3SGE BEAMS

Comment

just gave it a blast, seems a bit gutsier than the bosch.

Bosch 5" weighs 1.8kg, ozito 5" weighs 2.45kg. I wondered if it was approaching 9" size so dragged out my ancient AEG, it isn't anywhere near as big and the AEG 9" weighs 6.3kg.

Comment

Originally posted by garvice View Post
            Thanks guys, I ended up going Metabos for a 4" that has a tooless guard. Seemed to be the only one that came with a slide switch and was tooless in a 4"size. Lots in 5" but not in 4".
            I use a Metabo 4" at work, they are a great grinder, won't bog down. I prefer a 4" most of the time as it can get into tight spots easier. Also I use the worn down 5" consumables on it as well.

Comment

What do the $300-$400 grinders offer over and above the (say) $100 grinders?

Comment

Not sure about the $3-400 ones. My 4" Metabos were about $180. So still twice as expensive as the ~$100 specials I was getting (Metabo also do a $100 4" special).

Main reason I bought the metal was the tooless guard change and the slide switch. Just couldn't get that combo elsewhere in the 4". Only had them for probably 6 months so don't know if they'll longer.

It's also meant to have a safety clutch so cutting discs don't grab (haven't had that kick in yet). It's body is more the size of my 5"grinders so bigger/more powerful internals.

Some of the bigger sizes have things like dampened handles (I don't use handles on 4").
                GAS 260Z RB26DET
                GAS 1600 3SGE BEAMS

Comment

I bought one of the $300 Makitas purely for its variable speed, to make better use of strip-it disks. Going slow lets them cut Vs. going fast and melting them. Exxy grinder has more power than the cheaper Makitas too, but that's no real advantage IMHO.
                  Originally posted by Marlin
                  Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Loh View Post
                    What do the $300-$400 grinders offer over and above the (say) $100 grinders?
                    The grinders in that price range will generally be more powerful between 1400w to 1700W, metabo make the 1700W version. They will also have features such as variable speed, soft start, restart protection so the thing won't take off when you have accidently left the switch on and then plugged it in, a brake to stop the disc spinning within a few seconds, auto balancer so it won't fuck you hand if you are doing a lot of grinding, also generally makes the grinder smoother.

Probably a bit overkill for home use, but if you are on the grinder regularly it would pay itself off in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post

Also I use the worn down 5" consumables on it as well.
                      Dont they have different size centres?

Comment

Yeah they do, 5" is 22mm bore and 4" is 16mm.

If you carefully centre it and do up the nut tight with the spanner it will stay put. Just make sure it is on centre otherwise it will vibrate like crazy.

The proper way to do it would be to machine up a bush or turn down a washer to suit.

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
                          Yeah they do, 5" is 22mm bore and 4" is 16mm.

If you carefully centre it and do up the nut tight with the spanner it will stay put. Just make sure it is on centre otherwise it will vibrate like crazy.

The proper way to do it would be to machine up a bush or turn down a washer to suit.
                          Circular saw reducer bush could fit, I think the speed rating for 4.5 and 5 inch wheels is the same, but lower than 4 inch wheels. That said the spigot size on a 9 inch grinder is the same as a 4.5/5 IIRC.

Comment

Yeah never run a bigger wheel than the grinder is designed for. Over in America they run there grinders without guards, that's just stupid IMO.

Yeah 9" is the same bore size as 4.5"/5"

In industry there is a lot of wastage, they just get binned with plenty of life left in them,

I'll pretty much run them down till there is no abrasive left on them.

Comment

Speaking of Angle Grinders. I have a 20+ year old Arlec grinder I bought from KMart for like $25.00, Still going stong, and still my go-to 100MM grinder when having really nice Bosch and AEG Grinder in the same size.

Comment

Working...
                              X