Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Deforming steel bar/plate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iím envious of your soil quality.

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to have rectangular tube with tops welded on them? It'll fail badly when it does, but that would be stronger and cheaper, wouldn't it??

I would expect welding them all together is a good idea because everyone is going to walk past that fence and try and make them all wobble...

Comment

The flat bar in that fence is 20mm thick. 8mm will wobble in a storm.
        2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
        2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
        I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Originally posted by greg rust View Post
          the flat bar in that fence is 20mm thick. 8mm will wobble in a light breeze.
          ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post
            Wouldn't it be better to have rectangular tube with tops welded on them? It'll fail badly when it does, but that would be stronger and cheaper, wouldn't it??

I would expect welding them all together is a good idea because everyone is going to walk past that fence and try and make them all wobble...
            Visually I think the hollow tube would be a lot bulkier than what we are looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Rust View Post
              The flat bar in that fence is 20mm thick. 8mm will wobble in a storm.
              I donít think so.
              Hereís a pic I found of one that looks close to the dimensions Iím thinking of, though itís probably only 1m high. Mine will be 900-1300 (sloping block)

Bought some this morning and it certainly seems rigid enough that it wonít noticeably move from wind.

Comment

That pic still looks like 12-16mm plate.

I don't dislike the look of it but do you need to consider public safety where this fence is? It wouldn't feel nice falling on it or a kid crashing their bike into it

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                  That pic still looks like 12-16mm plate.

I don't dislike the look of it but do you need to consider public safety where this fence is? It wouldn't feel nice falling on it or a kid crashing their bike into it
                  Yeah maybe 12mm
                  I will test some 10mm but so far it looks good.
                  Council are happy with it. Maybe ill radius the corners a bit?

Comment

As long as council are happy with it then its all good I guess!

Yeah would definitely radius the edges a few mm. Maybe put up a few signs suggesting people don't fall face first onto it also

Comment

Something like 10mm Hardox 500 wont deform fuck all if you have an issue with the mild stuff.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Are you installing a scale model of Trump's Wall?
                        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                          Are you installing a scale model of Trump's Wall?
                          Yes!

#makenorthcotegreatagain

Comment

Ah, Northcote. Needs a fence that no-one can balance takeaway coffee cups on.

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
                              Ah, Northcote. Needs a fence that no-one can balance takeaway coffee cups on.
                              Maybe if I built it last year....The hipsters all use re-usable cups now

[emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by Marlin View Post
                                A 250mm footing? Seriously? I do 600 to 900 around here. But my shit doesnít fall over.
                                I just said how far in the bars into your footing I would do it. The footing would be deeper but a 900 strip footing is a bit mental for this.
                                3D scanning
                                3D modelling
                                Structural certification
                                3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Working...
                                X