Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Die Grinder Shank Extension 1/4" collet? Source?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Die Grinder Shank Extension 1/4" collet? Source?

Back in Adelaide i had a little 4" die grinder extension that allowed the use of standard short shank burrs for porting heads and manifolds. Something like this:

Ive searched high and low here in Melbourne and everyone just shrugs and says NFI or suggests Dremel flexishaft type things. Anyone have a source for these?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Found a post on GarageJournal where someone posted about using one of these extensions:

Has grub screws for tensioning:

Seems dicey, but might be an option if nothing else is available.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

You'd wonder why all the long and extra long dotcos, etc, wouldn't just run an extension piece if it was a good idea. Bought a fair number of 6" long burrs from Cylinder Head Abrasives a few years back, they didn't strike me as hugely more expensive than the short ones...of course, if you've already got an assortment, I can see the attraction! Usual other trap, locally the flap rolls and cartridge rolls are normally 6mm, so that collet might fracture if it's like some, when you try to tighten it down.

Comment

Shudders!
        Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Thinking about usage, its mainly for flap wheels, rather than burrs. Trying to find long shank flap wheels is a pain and while cartridge rolls work for most finishing sometimes a flap wheel is ideal.

Over on GJ someone has suggested router collet extensions, which look to be a decent option.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget

Comment

Is buying one from the states not feasible ?

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Originally posted by Fondles View Post
              Is buying one from the states not feasible ?
              Not really in the timeframe i need it for. Want to get the engine to the builders in the next couple of weeks.
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget

Comment

All the local flap wheels seem to have a fixed shaft around 30mm long. Unmounted types require a mandrel, I see they're available up to 8" long in the US - might be easier to find one of those locally than that extension, if primarily interested in wheels.

Comment

Yeah. I normally get my supplies from the US, but no time here really.

I think Iíll get that extension for the princely sum of $5 and cut it down to as short as I can get to the end of the port with it.
                  Chris
                  ------
                  The new nugget

Comment

Maybe easier to make from scratch perhaps

https://imgur.com/NME5Ag4

pretty easy for unintended porting if you lose control at big rpm.

Comment

Working...
                    X