Restoring a "cast" finish after welding/linishing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for sandblasting, have done it on old vintage bike engine and gearbox castings that had been repaired and needed to look "original" .

Comment

Just came across this video:
      https://youtu.be/4oXrMe8heKE?t=236

It looks like you can get a really nice look with the right type of engraver.
      Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Wilson View Post
        Just came across this video:
        https://youtu.be/4oXrMe8heKE?t=236

It looks like you can get a really nice look with the right type of engraver.
        Looks like a vibration engraver. Can pick them up for $25 or so. Might have to try it
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Wrinkle black?

PS sandblasting - but make sure you protect faces & threads etc
          This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Picked up a cheap vibration engraver tonight and gave it a go.

Has certainly reduced the shiny finish a bit, but its still quite a lot cleaner/fresher than the surrounding casting. I read somewhere about bluntening the tip slightly and going over again, so ill try that.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget
            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Unless you either clean the rest or artificially age the weld area, you're always going to get some contrast in the colour. Freshly machined/welded metal is always going to look cleaner than metal that has been in an engine bay for 30 years.
              Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

Sandblasting will sort it.

Use something course.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

For thread closure, after several attempts at sand blasting with out getting a satisfying result i ended up going the old fashioned route:
                  Last edited by takai; 31-10-19, 06:13 PM.
                  Chris
                  ------
                  The new nugget

Comment

Working...
                  X