Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sump repair on vehicle - silver solder?

The sump on my race car has a small pin hole in one of the welds which weeps a small amount of oil, this was recently repaired but it's still got a very small leak. Pulling the sump off in the car is a massive pain in the ass and I really don't want to pull the engine out so was wondering if silver solder is a viable way of fixing the hole? Ideally I would just TIG it but the weld is between the sump wings and the pain rail and you'd never get the torch in there.
    TK built the motor and he suggested just using some epoxy but I've never had much luck with it, thoughts?

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/s...SABEgI0RfD_BwE

Comment

Would hold easily if you can get to it, nice and clean with no oil. You wont be able to do an over head repair if you know whati mean

Comment

Yep have used the epoxy stuff to repair pinhole leaks in a fuel tank (while it was still leaking out), it outlasted the rest of the car. Soldering basically impossible with oil contamination all over where you'd be attempting to fill I reckon.

Comment

Righto, I'll give it a bash.

Comment

Heat the area, brush with wire brush to clean the flakey shit off, flux then solder. Add a degreaser step 1 if its real oily.

Comment

Originally posted by matty12 View Post
              Heat the area, brush with wire brush to clean the flakey shit off, flux then solder. Add a degreaser step 1 if its real oily.
              Step 1 : drain oil

Comment

and leave the oil cap off. there's an explosion/fire risk from hot oil vapour. can you just oxy or tig it up?
                Originally posted by Skompa
                The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Comment

Kneadit should do the trick if you clean area up as much as you can before using it.Different types available from Bunnings at cheaper price
                  an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

There is a low cost Devcon option you can get now. I've never used it before but Devcon always had a good reputation.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Devcon-P...frcectupt=true

I've previously used JB Weld to do a repair that never should have worked.

Prep work is the key, make sure the area is not contaminated with oil.

Comment

i have had WAY more success with JB weld than knead it and this was a fuel tank repair

knead it was fucked and just wouldnt stick, didnt seal and just fell of

jb weld was solid as all fuck, i made it too high and and had to grind it back it was like steel.
                      www.holditflat.com

Comment

Here's the 3 i did a test-run with

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171227_174248.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	7103712Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171227_175134.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	7103713Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171227_174303.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	713.5 KB
ID:	7103714
                        A was way runnier - like Araldite, B seemed coarser, C was less gritty etc - i think I ended up running in some A & then building it up with C - they are all hard as fuck.

This was after i hit them with a file -

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171228_115953.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	494.0 KB
ID:	7103715
                        This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Yeah the trick here is getting the surfaces clean.

Comment

Fuck the devcon JB weld shit, it all fucks up after a while. Seen plenty of cracked sumps and hydraulic oil tanks 'fixed' with it that last a week.
                            Silver solder aint silver solder, most of it is high temperature, you dont want to be heating your pan to 950c to get it to work; What you want is this stuff

https://www.jaycar.com.au/stay-brite...r-kit/p/NS3045

Low temp, propane torch will get it happening.
                            Drain the sump and clean the fuck out of the area with acetone etc and then solder over it.

Comment

Wait how small is the leak? You can also try peening it closed with a centre punch. That is another trick I have used before.

It would have to be a very small leak though and obviously will need access for the centre punch and to swing the hammer.

Comment

Working...
                              X