Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread tapping - Cordles drill.

What could possibly go wrong !!

New product for Subaru requires all threads to have a tap run through them due to weld penetration required to pass their specified weld macro's (Weld creates a tight spot in the root nut).

For the validation and test samples (and subsequent off tool samples) I have personally been running a tap with a battery drill prior to dispatch.

Once this towbar hits production If I let them have it with a cordless drill driven tap.... they gunna fuck that up well and truly.

Putting in the SOP a manual tap process is the solution but per towbar and side arm combo there is 14 root nuts in total to be tapped.................yeah as if thats going to be done/policed/checked.

any idea's on an easy (for production) process to run a tap ?

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Attached Files

Comment

tapping drill + spiral fluted tap?

https://www.allfasteners.com.au/fein...-drill-agwp-10

Comment

Install taps before welding, then wind out when cool? Probably create more problems than it solves though.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWallGT500 View Post

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk
          not a silly idea actually !!

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
            Hmmm. very interesting, Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman View Post
              Install taps before welding, then wind out when cool? Probably create more problems than it solves though.
              Would cause access issues with the robot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gin Kii View Post

not a silly idea actually !!
                i know. any idiot can use it and it would be fairly quick and easy to do.

Comment

They have been around for a long time. Bosch also have an electric one and have seen various pneumatic ones around.

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
                    They have been around for a long time. Bosch also have an electric one and have seen various pneumatic ones around.
                    I never knew such a thing existed, need to do M12 threads, this Metabo one looks like it will fit the bill perfectly.

https://www.metabo.com/com/en/tools/...s-tappers.html

Comment

yeah the metabo looks like a good thing, well priced as well.

Comment

Have you seen the Flex Arm hydraulic tapping stations?

There s a guy on jewtube who got one for his "home" shop, looks pretty versatile and would mean an efficient workstation.

I'll see if I can find the video

Edit : https://youtu.be/hClkN7YmxNY

Last edited by th0r; 22-07-20, 12:16 AM.

Comment

When I did my apprenticeship at ARB. They had a tap chuck/tool for the dress press that changed direction when load was applied to it

like this one
                          https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/T0...EaAgYXEALw_wcB

and just used a gun tap or spiral flute tap

I am guessing these a through holes?
                          '01 RS125
                          '01 CR500
                          '05 CR250
                          '07 CR125
                          '70 Mk2 Cortina
                          '80 1200 Ute
                          '12 Transit

Comment

Originally posted by Gin Kii View Post

I never knew such a thing existed, need to do M12 threads, this Metabo one looks like it will fit the bill perfectly.

https://www.metabo.com/com/en/tools/...s-tappers.html
                            Clock/anti rotation switch? That Metabo looks like it has a slide switch the same as my Ozito drill which is a PITA to use.

Comment

Gotta laugh.

This thread tapping exercise was known 6 months ago.

Started this thread 4 months ago in the knowledge production was coming and floated options in the morning manager meeting but was shot down hard by the GM about using powertools to run threads, I made the sarcastic quip "sorry for trying to make productions life easy, they will have to manually run the threads with a hand tap".... and left it at that.

Bit of a delay due to covid but 1s production run is underway (300 tow bars) with a massive push to have them in a shipping comtainer this weekend which will be a stretch but we will get it down.

then today I mention the 100% thread running that needs to be done to the GM who is push push push get them down and into a container.

Yeah... the shit has hit the fan as the target will be missed as "ZOMG WE HAVE TO RUN A TAP THROUGH EVERY THREAD WHY WAS THIS NOT KNOWN EARLIER:"..............

Tomoz I will be running a tap for 12 hours............ Thank fuck Friday I have off to go get the numberplates for my car.

And yeah thOr.... a thread tapping station with a flex arm is tasked to me to make it happen yesterday.....

Comment

Working...
                              X