Clear All

• garvice
    replied
    Next instalment

GAS FAB W114 Coupe - PerformanceForums

Leave a comment:

• Squirt
    replied
    The coupe is back home now. I told the Towie I was putting a rotary in it, I think he wanted to load it back up again and take it back!

Leave a comment:

• garvice
    replied
    Cheers guys.

Clive, you have to start somewhere and I'm just glad you gave it a crack. Just got to get rid of that gasless wire and have a bit more practice getting a feel for the what's penetrating, what's just sitting on top and when you're going to blow it straight through.

Leave a comment:

• 9triton
    replied
    Good stuff. After doing the shelby drop check the top suspension arm rear bush.
    there is a big washer on end of bush and can have clearance problems (ie interfrerance )to the suspension tower so distorts the bush in the arm

May need to clearance the suspension tower with a hammer to clearance.

I had this prob on my xp.

Where white paper is
    Click image for larger version

Name:	falconshelbydrop002.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	7274428
    Last edited by 9triton; 24-07-21, 07:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Squirt
    replied
    Now you can see why I realised the car needed to go to someone with a deft touch. My welding is not good by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for being diplomatic Brad.

Leave a comment:

• nutttr
    replied
    Such good work!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Very well done.

Leave a comment:

• garvice
    replied
    Final job to do on the car was finalise the passenger door to front guard and to sill gaps. I had put some extra material on the bottom leading edge of the door that needed to be ground back.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0270 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

But the door was also curving in a bit. Fixed this with a bit of hammering on the flange.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0271 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

The sill was also not straight, it dipped in towards the car in the middle, but more on that later

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0272 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

The sill to door gap was very large at the front. The last 100mm of sill seemed to drop down a few mm. So filled that gap with weld.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0273 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0274 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

And ground it back

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0275 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Final gaps were much better

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0276 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

But the sill to door gap was a bit tight (see the right side of this photo) as the sill was going in and up in the middle.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0277 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

So I started looking more closely at the previous sill repair (sorry Clive but this one's yours). The weld on the top was a bit rough.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0278 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

So I decided to clean it up with the finger sander. But I found that the weld didn't fully penetrate both sides along the length of the weld. There were sections of the weld when I ground it back that were discontinuous

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0279 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

So I got the tig out and rewelded the length of the weld.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0280 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Shitty photo (phones get a hard life in a metal workshop), but much better.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0281 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

I then started hammering on the sill to fix that high/indented sill. My plan was to lower the sill a touch which would also push it out. But after a few taps with the hammer I found a weld that Clive hadn't told me about. I found it because it completely popped along the length of the weld from poor penetration.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0282 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

So I used this as an opportunity to fix the gap issues and pulled the sill out a bit/lowered the edge. It was a bit of a gap to bridge with the tig, but I took it slowly to avoid distortion as I had no way of planishing this weld.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0283 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

And as can barely be seen in another shitty photo, it came out nice.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0284 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Door was sitting a little low in this photo as I didn't have help to adjust the height, but the gaps look much better

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0285 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Made some more square holes

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0286 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

And a shelby 1" drop drilling template

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0287 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

And she's done! This car sat in my shed a lot longer then most cars as I had a reasonably busy workload with general fabrication work last year too. There's still other work that could be done on this car, but the scary stuff is done, it's now solid and it should make a good cruiser for years to come. You can also see from this photo why I can't take photos from too far away. I'm working in a single bay for the car work. I'm in the process of doing a knock down and rebuild which should get me more room for panel work but the time line for that is all still a bit uncertain so will have to be careful taking on the next car job.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0288 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• garvice
    replied
    I then made up the missing seat belt mounts. Tried to replicate the original, turned out a touch larger, but since the larger ones are on the outside you don't really notice the size difference.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0263 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Spent some time doing calisthenics lying on my back on the concrete grinding down the floor but welds. Always reasuring seeing that you've got full penetration. Before

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0264 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

After

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0265 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

The centre console mount had it's welds broken off and was pop riveted on.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0266 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

So I welded them in

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0267 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

And a nice view of the new floors from underneath

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0268 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Clive then asked me for rear seat belt reinforcements, so ended up making up these

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0269 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• garvice
    replied
    So, onto the driver's side rear floor. I'm not going to post as many photos on this one as it's much the same as the passenger side and took just as long.

Made a paper template of the floor and from that made a new floor. Did lots of work before cutting out the old floor

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0253 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Hard to see in the photos, but the floor supports were dinted. Before

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0254 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

After a few minutes with a hammer and dolly

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0255 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Final cut/fitment of new floor. Floor made from scratch again as the replacement ones were not real flash.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0256 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Primed under floor components

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0257 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

And but welded the floor in with the mig

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0258 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Made up a new rear seat support, did it a little different this time to save some time.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0259 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

And plug welded in

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0260 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Welds ground down and floor primed

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0261 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

I closed off behind the seat support with a welded section. This really stiffened the support a lot.

GAS_FAB_XM_Coupe_0262 by GAS FAB, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• garvice
    replied
    Cheers mate

Leave a comment:

• TROLLA
    replied
    Pretty good work mate, and compared to most panel beaters you are about 4 years into that one car.

Leave a comment:

• garvice
    replied
    Thanks 9triton, that helps a lot. Looks like this car had the outside mounts replaced with a bad rust repair.

Clive, no worries, we'll sort it out properly.
    Last edited by garvice; 20-06-21, 09:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 9triton
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_125662.jpg Views:	8 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	7262998 this is an xp wagon -can see the 4 seat belt reinforcing plates plates -and xp only torque boxes at front
    Last edited by 9triton; 20-06-21, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Squirt
    replied
    Yeah sorry Brad, wish I’d known that. I didn’t realise they were so far back in the floor pan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X