Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in Sydney help with 3D scanning of an aluminium fuel tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone in Sydney help with 3D scanning of an aluminium fuel tank?

Anyone aware of someone that does automotive/bike stuff? Want to 3D scan my tank so I can try and get it reproduced

Thanks!

I know ministry of fab in Wollongong has access to a 3d scanner

Comment

Don't think he's been on here for a long time, mr boost I think is involved in that area as employment, I know he did have his car scanned several years back. Possibly farcebook might lead you to him - FD sports sedan.

Comment

How are you going to remanufacture, the scanning is the easy part.

this is straight off one of my scanners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaa.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	7264419
        Last edited by TROLLA; 24-06-21, 01:17 PM.
        3D scanning
        3D modelling
        Structural certification
        3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Do you need it scanned, or just drawn in CAD? Whats the purpose to get the bits laser/water cut?

Comment

Well, making it is another story. Perhaps scanning it isnt the go.

Its a rather complex aluminium fuel tank with curves etc - I want to replicate it, maybe even a few of them. I figured someone could make it from a 3d scan with dimensions but perhaps this isnt the best way to go about it

Heres some pics

Name:	20210622_152354(1).jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	7265642

Name:	20210622_152349(1).jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	7265643

Comment

Any suggestions?

Comment

Yes ok.

I do this every day for 10 years, not specifically fuel tanks but using scans to fit shit into industrial plant, scan to check as built to a model or to reverse engineer.

Your project has a couple of parts which have seperate issues.

1, your tank is fucking hard to make out of aluminium. If you want it out of alloy in small volumes I hope you have the cash to do it, like anything sheet metal they are stamped and great for 1000s but a lot for 2.

If you said I want it out of carbon then happy days.

2, in saying the above, to mould it the pros now scan and model and then print moulds. Check out Galway carbon for an example of this process. This way they can put in as many flanges etc to get the finished product out relatively easily.
                3D scanning
                3D modelling
                Structural certification
                3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Thanks Trolla, so you're saying making out of carbon could be an alternative/easier if someone was to scan and make a 3D model

I didnt know fuel tanks could be made from such material.

Do you know anyone that could scan and print a mould for a carbon piece i making it would have to be in a single piece, dont want seams and joins!
                  Last edited by Kris; 30-06-21, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Imagine that tank is made in small numbers for Aprilia rather than by them? Wouldn't be surprised there's hydroforming involved as the cheapest production option if they've at best, turned out a few hundred.

There was a bit of a eccentric savant fabricator, who's name escapes me at the moment - and has been mentioned here in the past who I'm sure could make one - for a price. Last I heard, he was in gaol for making firearm parts unlicensed though!

Comment

I'm talking about a flanges mould, otherwise how would you get it open.

You can coat the inside or even run bladders just like a fuel cell.

What is a dollar number you would pay for 1 of them or 10 of them? From here we know if this has legs.
                      3D scanning
                      3D modelling
                      Structural certification
                      3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Originally posted by gxxr View Post
                        Imagine that tank is made in small numbers for Aprilia rather than by them? Wouldn't be surprised there's hydroforming involved as the cheapest production option if they've at best, turned out a few hundred.

There was a bit of a eccentric savant fabricator, who's name escapes me at the moment - and has been mentioned here in the past who I'm sure could make one - for a price. Last I heard, he was in gaol for making firearm parts unlicensed though!
                        Yep, almost all is made for them. Benozzi Engineering makes their frames and swingarms - certainly they did the CRT frame as its on their website. gxxr, can you get the name

I'd pay $3500 for 3 of them. $4.5 for 1.

Even being able to make some kind of protective skin to keep this one intact would be good.

ie: make a one piece mould that fits to the bike that LOOKS like it on the top from carbon/fibreglass. Then underneath a rudamentary aluminium cell - I dont need the 22 litres it carries so it could be alot less. It could be something like this then:

Name:	motogp-qatar-march-testing-2018-valentino-rossi-yamaha-factory-racing-fuel-tank.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	7266577

Comment

20+ litres, must be a Bol d'Or endurance tank!

Still brain dumb on the name, might come to me in a week or two. Had a streetview look where he was and there's another long established business there now, so not promising.

That second tank looks a lot easier to make, without all the compound curves.....if you've got access to an example. Sydney Composites or Pollard in Kingsgrove might be worth a bell for a cosmetic shell, no doubt cost a penny though.

Comment

Dont have an example I'm afraid - its something new. Thanks for the contacts, ill see what I can come up wth.

Comment

Originally posted by 1320ft
                              I know ministry of fab in Wollongong has access to a 3d scanner
                              The boys did the cage on the most recent car, didn't realize, common friend with Mrboost which might explain the scanner use too.

Mentioned this to a mate when comparing recent dead racing identities, John Skola was the name I was thinking of, still in the boob unfortunately. He mentions some guy down in Wollongong who does the superbike exhausts as someone who might be the person to speak with...of course he can't recall the name of that guy now!

Comment

Working...
                              X