Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo sounds like a supercharger...???

Right, so my cheapy eBay turbo might be on the way out. When under reasonable boost (which it's still making, yippee!), the noise it makes has recently changed from a "sucking in lots of air" sound, to that coupled with "Good Lord, I seem to have a roots blower under there!". Which sounds cool, but can't be right.

Shaft play is still pretty minimal (less than 1mm, impeller doesn't touch the housing, no witness marks either), but I suspect the noise is coming from the bearing inside the unit. It's getting oil just fine, though.

Any thoughts, team?

boost leak blowing trumpet noises?

boost rag?
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

if there's no loss of power, push on!

Comment

Originally posted by GSRman View Post
        boost leak blowing trumpet noises? boost rag?
        Negative on boost leaks and/or rag! OK, so I haven't actually done a proper boost leak test, but all the hoses are good. And I found no rag.

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
        if there's no loss of power, push on!
        Tempting, but I'd rather not send pieces of turbo into my combustion chambers...

Comment

Mine did something similar a while back, became a bit whiney. It ended with the bearing collapsing and a couple of broken and bent turbine blades. Thankfully they went out the exhaust.

It was diagnosed as an oil supply issue which made sense as i did have an turbo oil line failure (pin hole).

If i was you, id do a proper boost leak test, if it tests good and the noise remains, pull the turbo off and have it rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by the chief View Post
            if i was you, id pull the turbo off and get a garrett
            ftfy

Comment

Well, if you've got the coin to spare, no worries. How about a precision or even better a BW EFR...

Comment

Originally posted by Neeek View Post
                Negative on boost leaks and/or rag! OK, so I haven't actually done a proper boost leak test, but all the hoses are good. And I found no rag.

Tempting, but I'd rather not send pieces of turbo into my combustion chambers...
                Intercoolers are pretty good blade filters.
                Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Bent or broken blade, seen it a couple of times. Saw a Passat that ate a nut and fucked the turbo, turbo boosted like a champ but sounded insane. Other time was the Sprinter work van, the bearings were stuffed allowing the shaft to move around, ended up breaking the shaft in half.

Comment

Yeah, turbo whine not good. My TO4 ate a little.bit of inlet hose rubber on track once and started howling under boost. Checked it and found it was couple of bent compressor blades. Drove it home off boost, end of that track day, but easy fix with new wheel.

So push on if you like, but not if it was my motor.

Now I've got an actually supercharged (roots blower) car, I'm loving the sound!

Comment

OK, so new turbo time it seems... this escalated quickly..!!

My current GT3582R eBay unit has a compressor housing A/R of 0.7, which seems to be about the standard these days. Turbine housing is 0.81. In selecting a new unit I want something better, obviously, but most seem to have 1.0 or larger A/R on the turbine side - I gather that this means more power up top, won't spool up as fast. I know there are other variables to work with, but would the difference between 0.81 and 1.00 make an enormous difference, all other things being equal?

Comment

Probably not unless your turbo is marginal for size anyway.. eg, if you are trying to spin it on a 1.3 - and you aren't getting boost till 6000 - not cool, but if it's half-fucked and making boost at a reasonable rpm - probably fuck all.
                        This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Went and had a closer look earlier...

Seems it has somehow ingested a small pterodactyl. I have hunted high and low for the little fucker, but it seems he/she/it didn't survive an impeller spinning at eleventy-thousand RPM. Good riddance. Now to shop for a new turbo because it's actually not worth the trouble to try and get this thing rebuilt, being a cheap eBay thing.

Comment

needs more boost rag.
                            Pest Control - Brisbane, Gold Coast, Ipswich and South West QLD PF discounts apply.

Comment

i'd be checking your intercooler for chunks too

Oo___oO

Comment

Working...
                              X