X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheep w2a innercoola

Hey dudes.
    We are looking at installing a water to air cooler setup on a car we are fucking about with.
    I've read a few builds (including Glens celica) which got heaps of info in them.

Isn't a complete cheap cunt build but trying to keep things affordable for the basis of this project.

I can't seem to get any sort of answer googling whether or not the ones of ebay are any good, or the cheaper ones are much chop.
    I've found a couple with a unit, pump and hoses for anywhere between 3-$600 on ebay
    E.g.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Premium-...torefresh=true

Seems ok?
    It's going into a Corolla so the engine bay isn't huge and would like to limit chopping the front beaver for an intercooler IF possible. I think I can hide the heat exchanger up front and down towards the bottom which won't incur much damage with my grinder as a normal sized cooler would.

Any other advice on this topic would be ace to.

Thanks bros
    J
    BF XR6T - TE Sedan - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS - VF SS Redline

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

I've done an ebay setup on my 4x4. My advice is to get a decent pump. I had two of the Chinese pumps fuck up in less than a month. They are cheap garbage. Ended up using a Davies Craig pump and its been fine ever since. I haven't had any problems with the heat exchanger, intercooler or inline remote filler neck which were all basically the cheapest I could find on ebay. Setup has been working well for 4 years. I mounted a small high velocity fan behind the heat exchanger and have that along with the pump wired to a switch in case I need to shut it down for water crossings or it drops the coolant etc.

Comment

Originally posted by EnFlaMEd View Post
      I've done an ebay setup on my 4x4. My advice is to get a decent pump. I had two of the Chinese pumps fuck up in less than a month. They are cheap garbage. Ended up using a Davies Craig pump and its been fine ever since. I haven't had any problems with the heat exchanger, intercooler or inline remote filler neck which were all basically the cheapest I could find on ebay. Setup has been working well for 4 years. I mounted a small high velocity fan behind the heat exchanger and have that along with the pump wired to a switch in case I need to shut it down for water crossings or it drops the coolant etc.
      Thanks for that.
      I was talking to my auto elec mate and he said his mobs done a heap of them on 4x4s but he's never bothered looking into what brand/where it came from.

From reading a few articles (and the details are super vague) is the pumps are a bit hit a miss.
      I'm happy to ditch it for a Davies Craig one if that's a common failure. If I have to spend a few dollars more on a reliable pump so be it.

Yeah fan was always on the cards. I read a miata build which not much info but they all seem to go with a thermo fan on them to help.

Thanks for the advice

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

Are the new Davies Craig pumps much chop though? They used to leak regularly out the spindle.
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

The old ones the spindle seals would go if subjected to a vacuum, i.e. old school radiator cap with no overflow bottle.
          The "new" (the last decade) pumps don't have that issue.
          Bosch OEM pumps are the go though.
          Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by awdmoke View Post
            Bosch OEM pumps are the go though.
            One of theeeeessseee???

http://www.sonicperformance.com.au/0...on-Pump/pd.php

Comment

That's the sort of thing, there are plenty to choose from in Euro cars.
              e.g. BMW & VAG heater pumps etc
              Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by no13b_Coupe View Post
                I can't seem to get any sort of answer googling whether or not the ones of ebay are any good, or the cheaper ones are much chop.
                I've found a couple with a unit, pump and hoses for anywhere between 3-$600 on ebay
                E.g.
                https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Premium-...torefresh=true

Seems ok?

Send Foamy a PM here, that's his ebay listing lol
                The pumps in that kit are a good thing, he put some effort into getting them.

Comment

Flick me a PM with what you need!

Comment

Good to know we've got a PF supplier for these!

I need one to fit in an AW11 next year.

Comment

Ha! Excellent stuff I didn't even think to ask you :D

Comment

Working...
                      X