Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

13B turbo choice

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    t04z... I made 470rwhp on 16psi back in 2004 with one of them... 1.32 rear housing and away you go
    Was that on 98 fuel?
    Do you think with E85 and a newer ECU (PS1000) you could do more with the same setup safely?

I am leaning towards Al's suggestion. of the GTW3884R, its a BB unit, price is about where I want to spend. In terms of lag, is the 64 to 67mm going to be night and day? I dont want something that I need to rev out to 7k just to get it to spool, but dont want it to run out of puff.

Comment

Im going to be upgrading my turbo soon so could sell you my GT3788R with a GTX wheel. I have made 430RWKS @ 30psi with a 13B BP.

Turbo setup came from this car (turbo has since been replaced though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQHTf9GPwLc

Comment

Originally posted by mad_cow View Post
        Was that on 98 fuel?
        Do you think with E85 and a newer ECU (PS1000) you could do more with the same setup safely?

I am leaning towards Al's suggestion. of the GTW3884R, its a BB unit, price is about where I want to spend. In terms of lag, is the 64 to 67mm going to be night and day? I dont want something that I need to rev out to 7k just to get it to spool, but dont want it to run out of puff.

yes that was on 98, had water injection on it when made 470.. but would run 420-430 on 98 with no water..

I don't think a different ecu will make any difference to power. ignition system yes, not ecu (providing it can fire coils at the right time)

if you go a GT42 size turbo yes it will be lazy..

a t04z is on by 4k and singing all the way to 8k.. as I said im still yet to see anything that performs as well on a 13b...
        im a cunt
        and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

Originally posted by glenn View Post
          Im going to be upgrading my turbo soon so could sell you my GT3788R with a GTX wheel. I have made 430RWKS @ 30psi with a 13B BP.

Turbo setup came from this car (turbo has since been replaced though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQHTf9GPwLc

Something to consider. PM when you are ready/

Comment

yes that was on 98, had water injection on it when made 470.. but would run 420-430 on 98 with no water..

I don't think a different ecu will make any difference to power. ignition system yes, not ecu (providing it can fire coils at the right time)

if you go a GT42 size turbo yes it will be lazy..

a t04z is on by 4k and singing all the way to 8k.. as I said im still yet to see anything that performs as well on a 13b...
            Are all the t04z units ball bearing? for some reason I thought they where journal bearing?
            The other question I have is the GTW3884R simply a modern/update version of the t04z? Or is it totally different?

13b mild port, s4 intake manifold, t04z, 1.32 rear, 50mm ID runners on the manifold, single 45mm gate, 470rwhp 17psi boost on 98 octane.. all on before 4000rpm pull all the way to 9000.. unbeatable on the street.. proven combo, ive don't 10 in the last few years and all have made 440+rwhp on 14psi boost..

DO NOT USE 38 OR 40MM RUNNERS.....
            http://www.performanceforums.com/for...urbo-selection

Something else to check on the manifolds I have!

Comment

The gt37/38 turbine is the same inducer/exducer size as T04Z P Trim and the compressor dimentions on the "67" mm inducer are pretty much the same. More modern aero on both. The 74mm borg warner turbo a heap of guys use on rotors is the same size. I definitely wouldn't fuck around chasing an expensive out of production turbo for the Z badge when you can get the new version with turbine housing material less sceptible to cracking than the older t04 stuff. I'd buy glenn's setup or get warranty ftom gcg or whoever is cheap and has them in stock.

Comment

where are all these 400+ rwhp on 13-14psi boost 13b's with GT37/38? just because they are the same sizes does not mean they are the same..
                they still make T04z too..
                im a cunt
                and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

GTW3884 is just a TO4Z with 3 inducer options on a billet compressor. Old turbine that just works with a newer compressor. My recommendation pretty much comes via Dale back in the day with some billet cream on top.

Still don't buy 450rwkw reliably from a 13BT but play on.
                  David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
                  You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

where are all these 400+ rwhp on 13-14psi boost 13b's with GT37/38? just because they are the same sizes does not mean they are the same..
                    they still make T04z too..
                    I have one lol. To be honest I dont know what it makes at 14psi but I'm guessing it would do 400rwhp easy. GT3788R has been a great turbo in my race car but I want to up to the next level (450+RWKWS).

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
                      Still don't buy 450rwkw reliably from a 13BT but play on.
                      My engine is 4 years old and is still going strong at 430rwkw. E85 makes a huge difference to reliability in these things.

Comment

Dale is right on the fact there is not many cars running the GT37/38 setup. Glenn is the only example.

I do like the idea of new tech wheel.

The idea of t04z with a well done setup will land me in a known ball park is also appealing. I kinda dont wanna be having a gamble on something that may not pay off for a street car too well.

Comment

Someone needs to do a back to back comparison.

Anyone have a hookup ar garrett, make it a skid factory or MCM video.

And best part I know whats best lol

Comment

Lev on ausrotary was running an extend port at ~25psi? with a gt3788 ( the "low flow" cast 63mm inducer compressor) with a dyno figure of 425 or 430rwkw on pump with a basic pre-turbo WI tuned by Omar about 10 years ago? Why not call Race only or get in touch with turblown by email and ask their opinions?

There is not Z fairy dust, yes 13bs respond well to a turbine of that size, turblown is selling shitloads of sxe and efr turbos/kits with that size turbine and 61-65ishmm comp inducers on billet wheels.

Comment

Sparesbox have 20% off at the moment too. Im now thinking a GTX3584RS might be better than an EFR9174/9180.

Comment

Originally posted by glenn View Post
                                Sparesbox have 20% off at the moment too. Im now thinking a GT3584RS might be better than an EFR9174/9180.
                                I did notice that. I saw they had supercores, but i couldnt find a turbine housing that matched. I sent a query, no response yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X