Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

How much to care about water pipe angles and thermal siphoning?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much to care about water pipe angles and thermal siphoning?

So the MX5 is the first turbo install I have done where its not factory replacement or completely and entirely compromised by packaging, and i generally have a reasonable amount of time on my hands to get little things sorted (yay for no race schedule).

On all the previous cars (even the factory stuff) the water ports have been relatively horizontal, and I have followed suit for other turbo conversions.

However, reading this Garrett whitepaper (mirrored on GCG) https://gcg.com.au/component/rsticke...hey-need-water
    they suggest a 20 clock with the inlet down and the outlet up. But also recommend an uphill pipe from the outlet to somewhere else in the engine to enable thermal siphoning after shutdown.

On the MX5 this is a problem, as the high pressure inlet sources for the turbo are all in the head, and higher than the turbo. Conversely, all the return locations are low in the block or the mixer.

Originally i was planning on just running the high pressure side out of the thermostat spacer at the back of the head, where the heater core comes out. Or as another guy down here has done, inline with the heater core:

But that puts the inlet side at 20 elevated, rather than on a decline, and from this graph is more than somewhat undesirable:

How much am I overthinking this? Just put it in horizontal and leave it be?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I think you are overthinking it too much. Especially considering the circumstances. If you can get it ideal great! If not who gives a shit. I'm sure it will be fine.

Comment

Don't even connect them and will be fine.
      3D scanning
      3D modelling
      Structural certification
      3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Im seeing a fucking clowns face on the sectioned drawing.
        2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
        2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
        I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Originally posted by PLAYA View Post
          Don't even connect them and will be fine.
          In a street car, provided you have some water in the turbo your golden.
          The water cooling is really only needed if your getting the thing raping hot.

Comment

I thought this project was about just wanting to have fun, I reckon you're majoring in the minors.

Comment

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
              I thought this project was about just wanting to have fun, I reckon you're majoring in the minors.
              Probably am, but engineering challenges are fun, and currently im just waiting for parts anyway.
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget
              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Working...
              X