Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbosmart Electronic wastegates

the aftermarket has finally caught up to OEM.

Turbosmart have announced their 45 and 60mm electronically acutated wastegates at SEMA.

are driven like a DBW throttle. 3 wire ratiometric position feedback and two wires for DC motor, to be driven by a H-bridge DBW output from the ECU.

the Emtron ECUs can run these now, just configure one of the DBW outputs to get its position target from the boost control function position requested value % and you're away.

must be watercooled outside of drag racing applications and I'm a bit concerned about heat soak after shutdown due to being attached to an 800 degree manifold with no active water flow (passive thermal siphon maybe if pluming design is good). motor insulation temp limits the main concern.

no dimensions available yet, and no 50mm so I'll be sitting here waiting. my guess is around $1200 AUD for a gate.

i am quite pessemistic about the butterfly wastegate longevity but open to the idea. you are asking a LOT of the butterfly shaft seal integrity in such an application.

Last edited by burn is weird; 08-11-19, 09:39 AM.

Oo___oO

Pretty cool I reckon.

Comment

You could run a small radiator and water pump just for the gate.

Comment

What dimensions do you want? I'm standing next to them.
        Originally posted by piss98
        I wish Kochie would get blown out to sea and never found, in fact most of those dumb cunts standing in the rain telling people not to stand in the rain need to get fucked. Stupid tart on the news last night talking to the weather guy "wow you look totally drenched there whateverthefuckhisnamewas." No shit you vapid bitch he is standing in a fucking cyclone.

Comment

Can you clarify the PWM control Burnsie?

I've been hearing a lot of information, likely 2-3rd hand saying things like 20A PWM needed, can't run it through a SSR, no ECU can control it right now. Even Turbosmart themselves saying that they are working with ECU vendors for support and that they will be releasing a control box for boost controllers and a dedicated boost controller later.

Comment

He mentioned traction control via wastegate, that could be pretty awesome I think.

Comment

The dimensions I'd like are the height width and depth of the black actuator part.

The emtron can deinfately run it, you can set a Dbw output function to look at any parameter in the ecu.

It's basically a dbw motor with single position feedback, needs a h bridge pair of outputs from the ecu to work. (same as a Dbw motor)

Turbosmart talk about coming up with a controller box that will convert a pwm duty signal (like you send to a boost solenoid from an ecu) into a closed loop h bridge drive signal for the gate, this will be done externally to the gate as it is really difficult conditions to keep electronics alive and they won't have put it in there.

The wires coming out of the unit are a pair of big wires for DC motor and three wires for ratio metric position feedback like a tps.
              Last edited by burn is weird; 08-11-19, 12:57 PM.

Oo___oO

Comment

from another forum by the guy who made MHD (BMW tuning platform)
                That said, I know I will be getting all DME that came with an electronic gate to use this too via MHD. Bring on the ST kits using electronic external gates

Comment

Originally posted by burn is weird View Post
                  i am quite pessemistic about the butterfly wastegate longevity but open to the idea. you are asking a LOT of the butterfly shaft seal integrity in such an application.
                  Butterfly is perhaps an odd choice, should reduce the torque requirement of the actuator though. is the shaft seal any different to the one in an internal wastegate?

I'm no expert but is this the answer to a question nobody asked?

Comment

they are going to have to come up with a control box Solution as a lot of ECUs popular ECUs only have the hardware for a single drive by wire output, so if you already have a DBW throttle you're out of luck, and if you have twin turbos and/or multi-throttles you're going to need something like an Emtron KV12/16 that can do Quad DBW.

Oo___oO

Comment

Originally posted by burn is weird View Post
                      The dimensions I'd like are the height width and depth of the black actuator...
                      They said they’ll have drawings on the website next week.
                      Originally posted by piss98
                      I wish Kochie would get blown out to sea and never found, in fact most of those dumb cunts standing in the rain telling people not to stand in the rain need to get fucked. Stupid tart on the news last night talking to the weather guy "wow you look totally drenched there whateverthefuckhisnamewas." No shit you vapid bitch he is standing in a fucking cyclone.

Comment

Yeah, i'd like to know if there is anything in the pipeline (apart from the interceptor box) for the Elite series ECU's to be able to drive these?

Perhaps an internal modification to the stepper outputs? Or do I just have to buy a KV8......

Comment

They use butterfly valves on Gas turbines as the blow off valve. Normally coming off the back end of the compressor section where temps are in the several hundred degree range. Admittedly they should normally only operate on startup or to control an overspeed situation so don't see a lot of operation, they also tend to cause grief on startup due to not passing startup checks for actuation speed due to hardly getting used and being a bit sticky as a result.

I hope they set it up as 0-100% = flow capacity and not as a stem position, because butterfly valves are a right cunt to tune as a process control valve due to the fact the flow change for a set output change varies significantly over the range of the valve.
                          As an example https://blog.opticontrols.com/archives/727 In my expereince if they're operating outside the 15-50% range they tend to be ok, but if you're in that range they're a cunt since you either end up with very slow tuning to minimize process disruption but that normally means they don't operate quick enough when you need them too or you have them tuned fast and they're bouncing all over the place. But hey they're cheap so the project teams love to swap out proper control valves for butterfly valves as part of the value engineering phase.

Comment

I'd be stunned if they didn't give you a table to map valve position to volumetric flow or something.

Comment

Any decent process valve gives you a Cv curve to linearise the process control response.

The valve itself will be a linear 0-100% for the poppet type and 0-90degrees for the butterfly type. It's just a potentiometer and DC motor

The % output of the boost control doesn't have to match the valve position. You should be able to linearise that for flow in the output function in a decent ecu.
                              ​​​
                              And then f you're being clever, your output table would be 3d, with other axis being exhaust manifold pressure, then you can linearise the output for mass flow rather than just area. (turbine expansion would be better again but then you need both pre and post turbine sensors. And if say the exhaust is approximately atmospheric that would be close enough.

It will be a bit more complex than people think to get this to perform as well as a well set up pneumatic gate as there is already some mechanical closed loop control happening in that system that is removed when you use an electronic valve.

Last edited by burn is weird; 11-11-19, 07:30 AM.

Oo___oO

Comment

Working...
                              X