No announcement yet.

Turbosmart Electronic wastegates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For info, i've been running an OEM electronic actuator on my EFR 8374 for about a year now using the internal H bridge of the EMtron KV8 and it works well.

I have also made an extrnal H bridge driver that can do 60A peak and 20A constant that needs testing. I sent one to WTF over in perth a year ago for the V12 supra, but got ghosted

HIt me up if you'd like more info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200824_170302.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	7283820
    Attached Files

Comment

thats a cool little box there, 60amp is heaps.. that will work for ecus that have a low current H bridge for sure
      im a cunt
      and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

put a pair on the rx3 today... just a little different... driving the gates home to the closed position makes a HUGE difference to how quick you can spool a big pair of turbos at low engine RPM..
        Click image for larger version  Name:	egate.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.4 KB ID:	7302881
        im a cunt

Comment

I would imagine that would be part of the Ewg function in the ecu so if the boost control off = 0% target position so it acts like a spring return gate.

anyway, turbosmart have finally put the butterfly 50mm to market after i imagine a lot of testing. apparently 62ms fully closed to fully open. this will give some amazing control. carbon fouling appears to be the main concern for a tight shut condition.

Oo___oO

Comment

i did some more testing on my car today with the egates fitted, spool tune up is still not perfect but not the worst, i have it sitting with .2-.4 psi error on the 2 step on the first spool up with the 102mm turbos, i need to just adjust the PID and base tables now to get it closer, the 102mm pump a little more air than the 98s even at 33000rpm and we have never really had to fine tune a setup for .2psi error as when targeting wastegate pressure as you would with C02 it would make what it makes lol
            the base table is about 4% too high, if i let it sit on the 2 step for longer it would have brought it back to target no problems but i have the PID fairly low to stop it over shooting and going stupid but i could probably double it at that small error, but once the base table is set the PID is only doing small corrections etc
            Attached Files
            im a cunt

Comment

Dale, can you share the wiring requirements with a Nexus? I understand a single H-Bridge is needed to drive the valve, does the ECU want other inputs for better control or feedback?

Comment

Position feedback and temperature are the other IO.

It is also recommended that safety tuning strategies are in
                place to lower temperatures if the eWastegate internally reaches a temperature of 150degC (302degF).

something else most people probably don't read:

Turbosmart’s Gen V eWastegate will require periodic reapplication of spray grease such as Inox MX8 spray grease, this is
                important that the manual override is used to move the valve up and down allowing the grease to be applied throughout
                the entire valve gearbox. Turbosmart recommends that this is done regularly at least half yearly or in demanding
                temperature environments.

Oo___oO

Comment

yep position and temp, must have both to work,

its amazing how different each car and setup is with these things, with Co2 it was pretty fool proof you could just put a number in and it would make what it made and you would adjust the dome pressure to suit,

what works in the RX3 does not work in my car.. the old copy and paste guys are going to be really fucked here lol
                  im a cunt

Comment

i think if you incorporated an EMAP correction (what you are really after is turbine expansion ratio) in the PID control output (target area) it would be much simpler to control. it would allow you to linearise your control output, for turbine power.

also worth noting the "straight gate 50" uses turbosmart 60mm wastegate v-band flanges. which sucks, as i thought i was ready to rock with a 50mm ported manifold..
                    Last edited by burn is weird; 16-11-21, 08:21 PM.

Oo___oO

Comment

doing a PID correction off that wont really work as the pressure drops fast as soon as the gate is open even tho the map does not change much/if any at all, boost target error and RPM has so far been the best but have to be a lot more accurate than you do with C02,
                      im a cunt

Comment

Originally posted by burn is weird View Post
                        also worth noting the "straight gate 50" uses turbosmart 60mm wastegate v-band flanges. which sucks, as i thought i was ready to rock with a 50mm ported manifold..
                        Bugger, now the question is to mod the manifold or stick with co2

Comment

i guess you could weld a 50 and 60 vband back to back?

Oo___oO

Comment

Working...
                          X