Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cplus View Post
    winner.

plain old aluminium might melt at under 700 deg C, but there are alloys out there that will survive at 3000 deg C plus.

ask NASA if you don't believe me :D
    At that temp surely they would be aluminium based ceramics?
    Originally posted by tandy ass
    Got a 97 cielo for free (I think i got ripped off)

Comment

Yuh, anything that survives at those sorts of temperatures is not based on metallic aluminium. Titanium based alloys maybe - but otherwise anything that has lots of Al in it will probably have it as Al2O3 - plain old alumina, which is the main component of refractory materials.
      Originally posted by bugle
      The non GTS's were gay

Comment

Originally posted by Com_VC View Post
        any links related to aluminium mufflers/homemade etc?

A muffler made by our very own Rz, for my Fraser.
        Bloody nice it is, too.

Comment

Originally posted by PLAYA View Post
          apparently kier wilson used alloy dumps on his gtr and didnt have an issue?
          bingo... we were both as pisses as each other when the guy that made them told us that...
          im a cunt
          and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

Originally posted by 10sec_rx7 View Post
            bingo... we were both as pisses as each other when the guy that made them told us that...
            lol yes, im about to do it all again tonight
            3D scanning
            3D modelling
            Structural certification
            3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Originally posted by PLAYA View Post
              lol yes, im about to do it all again tonight
              we getting pics of tonight's effort
              you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

inconnel alloy maybe
                www.markpakula.com
                2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
                2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
                2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
                2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Bill: Got any pics of the inside? Also is it filled inside? I cut open apart a muffler before and it was filled with this hair like stuff...

Comment

Bill: Got any pics of the inside? Also is it filled inside?
                    No, and dunno.
                    It's just a straight-through type.

Comment

Bill: Got any pics of the inside? Also is it filled inside? I cut open apart a muffler before and it was filled with this hair like stuff...
                      Have a look here there is some good stuff there.
                      Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

I'd lay money on it having a perforated steel tube up the guts, and fiberglass packing so you can re-pack it like most aftermarket bike mufflers.
                        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Bob - its a perforated tube straight through in a bigger can, then it has fiberglass matting wrapped around the perforated tube.

Usually just pop riveted the outer can to the ends. Pretty easy, i shortened the exhaust can on my R1.
                          Mad Cunt
                          Galant '93 6A12TT Calder 1:17.1200 14/03/15 - Sandown 1:32.0556 04/10/15 - Phillip Island 1:58.0573 20/03/2016 - Winton 1:46.5678 1/11/2015 (Natsoft)

Comment

Cut up some end plates for the muffler today. They are out of some 5mm aluminium plate.

They are 194mm 0D and will fit inside some 200mm 3mm wall thickness aluminium pipe.

Need to roll up some 20mm edges tomorrow and weld them on to the ends. Just so I have something I can rivet into.

Just got a few questions.

Not 100% sure on the length, is there some sorta formula to work this out? I was sorta thinking 400mm long.

Where can I get some perforated aluminium tube? Need it to be 3"

With the riverts, do you need to apply some sorta sealant along the end plates or will all the rock wool, fibreglass matting or whatever seal it all up pretty well anyways?

Thanks

http://imajr.com/11112008-1279410

Comment

Originally posted by S_E View Post
                              I think you're onto something here, watercooled exhaust!
                              iron liners? plus appropriate alloy for the job.

I reckon alloy would crack like a mofo unless you really knew what you were doing. Just use S/S or mild and take the back seat out, much easier.
                              Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Bumping this up.

Would it be practical to construct an entire exhaust from Titanium? You can buy mufflers fairly easily but I was thinking of trying to source some tube, bends and/or donuts (if Titanium ones exist) and welding up a system including extractors. Would I be better off just getting a set of extractors done in stainless (say to the end of the gearbox or a bit further) and then titanium for the rest? I'm really motivated by the idea of saving a bit of weight.
                                1971 Mazda 1300 Estate Deluxe 1500cc Twin SU - 1979 Mazda RX7 12APP - 1994 Mazda Familia GTR - 1973 Mazda 1300 Wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X