Tailshaft vibrations- VE T56 in FD RX7

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was dealing with the same issues with TREMEC in my is200. Changed the set up totally this time with a 1 piece tailshaft we made at home and a th400 mounted with optimal pinion angles.

what are people’s thoughts on tailshaft balancing?

ive been advised not to bother. It’s a pretty neat thing - I’m not sure there really is much opportunity to be out of balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post

nothing to add besides making it clear to the shop that you expect it to be balanced at 250km/hr and not just normal road speeds.

As for your legs I assume it has loops?

Thats the issue- these guys balance to 4,000rpm which is better than many other places by 1,000rpm+. But on limiter in 5th which is what it sees at PI that's 7,000rpm tailshaft speed. So I'm kinda extrapolating a bit. So no one that I've found will guarantee it but he's sure it will be better than my previous tailshafts- by how much is anyone's guess.

No tailshaft loop. I probably should look into one. Are they the norm on circuit cars? I remember they were cool 20 years ago when your 308 ran 11s but don't see much of them these days
      Last edited by lukevl; 04-02-20, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post

Thats the issue- these guys balance to 4,000rpm which is better than many other places by 1,000rpm+. But on limiter in 5th which is what it sees at PI that's 7,000rpm tailshaft speed. So I'm kinda extrapolating a bit. So no one that I've found will guarantee it but he's sure it will be better than my previous tailshafts- by how much is anyone's guess.

No tailshaft loop. I probably should look into one. Are they the norm on circuit cars? I remember they were cool 20 years ago when your 308 ran 11s but don't see much of them these days
        I was gunna be clever and say 6000 RPM instead of 250KPH but then remembered whatever box you have probably has overdrive and couldn't be bothered looking up the ratio. Assuming there isn't significant whip above 4000 RPM and they know you are going to be driving it proper fast they should be able to get it as close to perfect as they can instead of just good enough for road speeds, the few times I balanced (my own) wheels I got them to "zero" instead of 5 grams or whatever the recommended acceptable spec is.

No idea about tailshaft loops being the norm on circuit cars, but as your car is IRS you could put one at each end and they wouldn't take up much room or be terribly heavy.

Comment

With all rotating equipment we have balancing Specs. G6.3 is basic then 2.5 and the precision G1. Ask for this spec.
          2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
          2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
          I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Well Matt from GJ Drivelines says if it doesn't fix it he'll give my money back. He is formulating a plan and looks like I'm pouring more money into my tailshaft pit but hey let's see. I get good vibes from him so far

Comment

Big call to say he'll sort it or money back, good on him. Even if it ends up being a bit pricey you'll know it's done right.

Comment

Yeah he seems good and obviously it's just words but its a lot more words than most other places will give. He says he found a runout issue on the old tailshaft too so things are lining up. If it doesn't fix it then I'll kick myself for not changing to a slip-yoke gearbox sooner

Comment

Fingers crossed!

Comment

Can't get to the track this weekend but I have a new, more expensive tailshaft now. Love this game!

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                      Are they the norm on circuit cars?
                      Should be in general requirements A, B or C, wording should be something like, "constructed to prevent contact with the ground in the event of a breakage".

Would have thought a call to Holinger or similar may have yielded a recommendation down that way, the output flanges there seemed to be fixed mostly on their boxes. Seems like a black art, even 30/35 year ago it was hard to get a decent tailshaft made or balanced in Sydney, when there was a lot more engineering capability, hopefully Melbourne being the manufacturing hub, this will yield better results.

Comment

Well it looks the part!

Comment

Working...
                        X