Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo oil drain

Hey knowledgeable PF legends, help me out with this n00b-tier question about turbo oil drains. I have a GT35R with a -10 drain fitting, and I want to run a -10 hose from there to the sump. The problem is I have no clear path to run a hose straight down. It's pretty hard to get a decent photo of it, but here's what I'm working with:

So I can't go straight down because there are exhaust runners in the way. Can't go forwards because the turbo compressor housing is in the way. I can go back using a 90 degree hose end, then I could run a hose between the #3 and #4 runner and down to the sump. Problem is I can't imagine how you'd do that without the hose touching the red-hot manifold somewhere.

So what to do? Is there some sort of super heat proof hose I can use that doesn't mind touching glowing exhaust runners? I'm sure this must be a solved problem but most turbo setups I've seen don't have such shit access to the oil drain.
    Norbie!

Can you rotate the core so it's not perfectly vertical but sends the drain in a better direction?

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comment

What about a steel pipe like factory?

Comment

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
        What about a steel pipe like factory?
        True, back when I had a gt35 I made a metal drain out of the factory 2jz twins drains that exited below the exhaust runners.

Current 42 has lots of clearance for drains, maybe that's an option 😉

Projects:
        '90 2jz-gte 929
        '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Comment

As has been said. Rotate the core so the drain tilts towards the block. Make a drain out of steel pipe and forget about using a -10 fitting. Make it long enough to get away from hot bits then just hose and a clamp

Comment

Steel pipe you say, that's way more effort than I was hoping for. Oh well if that's what it takes I'll look into it. I'll also try rotating the core and see if that helps. Thanks!
            Norbie!

Comment

Itíll probably take you less time to make the drain than to try and do up a -10 fitting under there lol

Comment

Steel tube is the way to go. If you can find someone discarding the waterline that runs from the back of the 2J pump around to the oil filter, they've got enough bends and weld nicely to make a good drain from

Comment

It's a shame I didn't keep the water line when I deleted it years ago!

It doesn't look like I have any suitably sized steel tube lying around, and the closest I can find at Bunnings is 20mm tube with 1.2mm walls. Sounds like it might be a bit sturdy for bending - or would I get away with it if I use a bit of heat?
                  Norbie!

Comment

That will bend fine with propane

Comment

Working...
                    X