X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200 series lock up converter

asking for a mate

Is there such a thing as a lockup converter for a 2015-19 200 series and if so, where would one procure such a device of good calibre? Speaking with him earlier he is saying that while towing his caravan its reving its guts out in 4th gear 40l/100km when it should be in 6th and thinks that having a lockup converter would help a lot.

He is international and finding it really difficult to get any information about them so would need all the bits packaged and posted, but I must admit i have no idea on this subject.

Thanks gents

Yes you can get lockup kits. That's all I know.

Googling:

http://richardsauto.com.au/wp/

https://automatictransmission.com.au...ockup-control/
    2002 VX SS GT55 boosted 427 LSX
    2004 Nissan El Grand rape van
    2001 Land Cruiser - The Beater
    2007 Suzuki SX4 - Ski Mule
    2005 WR250
    + 2 trailers and a caravan.
    I finance the RMS

Comment

Isn't this done by just about every 4x4 workshop / grey nomad place?
      Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

I'll admit i didnt even google this as i didnt even know it was a thing. So it seems to be just some electricriky device, im guessing most are the same?

Comment

There are basically 2 ways to do it. The yanks seem to prefer a simple manual on/off switch which is fine if all you're using it for is dyno/drags/pulling but would be a PITA on the street.
          The other way is to use a control module that plugs into the OBD port and takes into account temp, road speed, engine load and throttle position etc. The Wholesale Automatics unit has a pretty good reputation, I can't comment on how well it works as I've got another mob's lockup controller in my Challenger.

Comment

Check up with dogsballs, his old man had the gearbag tuned on his 200
            Originally posted by Faux Forg
            I agree with Rdyno

Comment

There's a 200 series facebook group that you could search. They talk about it often.
              2002 VX SS GT55 boosted 427 LSX
              2004 Nissan El Grand rape van
              2001 Land Cruiser - The Beater
              2007 Suzuki SX4 - Ski Mule
              2005 WR250
              + 2 trailers and a caravan.
              I finance the RMS

Comment

40 per 100? Petrol i take it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

V8 TT Diesel apparently. stays in 4th @ 90kph towing the "huge" caravan

Comment

Lockup convertor will help but isn't going to do that much if it can't pull a taller gear, for reference @60km/h the rpm difference in my Challenger between 4th TC locked and 5th TC open, it won't lock the TC in 5th below 80km/h with my current module, is <250 rpm with 5th revving slightly lower. Gearing is similar between the LC200 diesel and my Challenger in regards to diff ratio and 4th and 5th gears in the transmission, my tyres are slightly shorter though.
                    If the 'Cruiser could pull 5th with the convertor locked it would help, but the issue is why isn't it going into 5th? I'm guessing the caravan must be more than 3 tonne for the Cruiser to struggle that much.

Comment

Originally posted by to4garret View Post
                      V8 TT Diesel apparently. stays in 4th @ 90kph towing the "huge" caravan
                      I see heaps of people towing big boats and vans doing 110km/h down the highway without any issues, even up hills and shit.
                      How heavy is the caravan? If it cant exceed 90km/h then its either massively overweight or must be as tall as building to have the wind resistance.

40L/100km is worse than the trucks pulling 30t going past him.

Comment

My understanding is that it doesnt have any problem going faster - he said that at 110kph its in 6th and cruising along at 12-14l / 100km. its that its not selecting the correct gear at lower speeds and staying locked in. depending on the roads he cant get the speed up enough to get it into 6th and it just chews fuel.

Comment

Can he manually select 6th?
                          If he's running taller/heavier tyres, has a roof rack with alot of stuff on it and the caravan is tall/square/heavy, then he might have enough aero drag to basically act like a parachute.
                          Mike Finnegan commented that his white enclosed ramp truck averaged 5mpg on the trip to California for the race against John Chase. That's a 250-300hp BBC, TH400 with 1:1 3rd and I think he said a 4.56:1 diff that weighs about 5 tonne and has a flat face body. The front airdam and turbowing were more cosmetic on that truck. On the other hand, a fleet operator I know posted the weekly average for one of his Volvo semis running in the north west of the USA, it cracked 10 mpg average.

Comment

Originally posted by to4garret View Post
                            asking for a mate

Is there such a thing as a lockup converter for a 2015-19 200 series and if so, where would one procure such a device of good calibre? Speaking with him earlier he is saying that while towing his caravan its reving its guts out in 4th gear 40l/100km when it should be in 6th and thinks that having a lockup converter would help a lot.

He is international and finding it really difficult to get any information about them so would need all the bits packaged and posted, but I must admit i have no idea on this subject.

Thanks gents
                            Send him to lcool.org There’s dedicated threads regarding LC torque converter lockup kits. Most of those guys run in 4th or 5th gear at 95-105 kays as per user manual/advice from a Toyota if pulling a big van.

Comment

Yeah that dosent sound right. A 700hp Scania uses less fuel than that.
                              My Jeep uses 16 per 100 in 4th (in a 5 speed auto) on 100 towing 2.7 tonne.
                              I cannot see how it could possibly use double that and then some.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                              I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Working...
                              X