Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballpark diagnosis for a dead WRX gearbox?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willsy01 View Post
    Started this thing up again yesterday. Has a ticking noise at idle that rises and falls with engine speed......goes away with the clutch disengaged. Can select all gears except 3rd. Whatever broke off is rattling around in there when underway.

That'd be handy.....thx.
    techworkz automotive in canberra did the diagnose yada yada but sent the gearbox to a mob in sydney.. trying to find the receipt for a shop name, otherwise may be worth just giving techworkz a call.
    Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Too expensive.....more than half the value of the car.
      They are under $2k for a H6 6 speed. Grab one of them and an auto tailshaft and a hummunbird electronics gps speed signal generator and you are done. A GC8 is not going to go down in value if you look after it.
      David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
      You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
        They are under $2k for a H6 6 speed. Grab one of them and an auto tailshaft and a hummunbird electronics gps speed signal generator and you are done. A GC8 is not going to go down in value if you look after it.
        Do the H6 boxes bolt up to the ej20? Very interesting

Comment

I thought a different cross member and matching rear diff were needed as well?

Comment

The pre facelift h6 box wants a 3.9:1 diff.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
            Torque sells tow cars.
            Horsepower wins horse races.

Comment

Any 6 spd swap is going to require matching ratio rear and shafts.

My 5 spd finally went pop in my 99 a couple of months ago. Cunt of a thing! Just took off normally out of a driveway and it developed a very loud tick tick that sped up with speed but changed down with higher gear. It got worse very very quickly. Ended up being a few smashed teeth in the center diff.

Got a replacement box for next to nothing and the local mechanic swapped it out for about $600. Was just lucky to have quick access to a box.

Will start acquiring parts for a 6spd swap very soon. 6 spd liberties regularly come up for 3k complete. Will buy for driveline and sell the rest.
              Originally posted by FatBoy
              Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Comment

Getting it towed to this mob and swapping in one of these;

https://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/g...s=#yellow-back

Seems like a batter option than chancing a second hand box that some swede has flogged.

Comment

6 speed conversion? good job! if you're keeping the car you won't be sorry. I have a gen 4 liberty one behind my EZ36 with plenty of tourque and it breaks driveshafts before the box has any dramas

Comment

What's that worth, willsy? Upgrading to R180 too?

Comment

They're website is fucking weird. That link went somewhere else the other day. I wish I was getting the 6sp......I'm at the opposite end of the price bracket. Standard Box, pulled apart, inspected then screwed back together, using a 2010 gearset.

Better than going in blind with a second hand gearbag.

Comment

They're website is fucking weird. That link went somewhere else the other day. I wish I was getting the 6sp......I'm at the opposite end of the price bracket. Standard Box, pulled apart, inspected then screwed back together, using a 2010 gearset.

Better than going in blind with a second hand gearbag.
                        Similar to my mates gc8, heís happy with it and itís holding up well

Comment

Working...
                        X