Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballpark diagnosis for a dead WRX gearbox?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballpark diagnosis for a dead WRX gearbox?

Gearbox went pop this morning. Accelerating in third under maybe half throttle and there was a bang and what sounded like a handful of nuts and bolts had been thrown into it.
    • Engine is unmodified
    • Rattles when rolling neutral
    • Shifter feels mushy.....gear selection is possible, but feels terrible
    • Stills drives, managed to limp home using 2nd and 5th
    • No fluid loss or smoke
    • Clutch appears to be fine

Just trying to figure out what i'm up for.

A second hand gearbox.
    The main shaft is very long and has the bearings spaced a long way apart with 3rd being roughly in the middle. Under power the shaft flexes and the gear lash increases, then the teeth get stripped off third gear
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Figured that was the only course of action. I only just dropped $2.5K on the fucking thing replacing the entire cooling system.

Comment

$500 or less used, new selector fork, new throwout bearing. My old 5mt dropped 3rd similarly.

Comment

I have a post 2010 Impreza box under my bench here in canberra if you want it. Will swap for Laphroaig.
          Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
          my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

What year WRX?

But yeah as per above it's probably stripped 3rd.
            Originally posted by brasher
            TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Originally posted by willsy01 View Post
              Gearbox went pop this morning. Accelerating in third under maybe half throttle and there was a bang and what sounded like a handful of nuts and bolts had been thrown into it.
              • Engine is unmodified
              • Rattles when rolling neutral
              • Shifter feels mushy.....gear selection is possible, but feels terrible
              • Stills drives, managed to limp home using 2nd and 5th
              • No fluid loss or smoke
              • Clutch appears to be fine

Just trying to figure out what i'm up for.
              Paid $2500 to rebuild a GC8 WRX gearbox about two years ago. Looked at options and other rebuilders and there was nothing really around without changing the back diff to suit the box.
              Originally posted by Einstein
              The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

Originally posted by aerobrick View Post
                $500 or less used, new selector fork, new throwout bearing. My old 5mt dropped 3rd similarly.
                I'd wondered if it was a selector fork. Might have to get someone to crack it and take a look.

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                I have a post 2010 Impreza box under my bench here in canberra if you want it. Will swap for Laphroaig.
                If it's a match for the current box (5sp MY00), I might have to take you up on that.

Originally posted by TJ View Post
                What year WRX?

But yeah as per above it's probably stripped 3rd.
                MY00. It's lasted 266K kms.....half of those put on it by me. No idea what life was like for it before I owned it.

Originally posted by carcrazy View Post
                Paid $2500 to rebuild a GC8 WRX gearbox about two years ago. Looked at options and other rebuilders and there was nothing really around without changing the back diff to suit the box.
                Called this mob and they want $2750 exchange for a box with a used but fully inspected gear set. $4K with a brand new STI gear set.

Comment

I have a spare '00 sti 5mt with 4.44 final drive but it's sitting in a container in Tas so not worth shipping. Vaguely remember anything post '06 won't be a direct fit, but can swap internals.

Comment

6sp swap. never worry again
                    Originally posted by Marv
                    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
                      Too expensive.....more than half the value of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
                        Unless you are Kiahatsu with 500awkw

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Rorge can change them out in under 30 minutes road side
                          you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

mob in sydney rebuilt my mates one when he busted it over mt selwyn 10495895 km from anywhere (limped it to jindabyne with only 1st and 2nd working..)
                            they use 2010 or 2015 internals to make it stronger iirc
                            can find details if you need
                            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Started this thing up again yesterday. Has a ticking noise at idle that rises and falls with engine speed......goes away with the clutch disengaged. Can select all gears except 3rd. Whatever broke off is rattling around in there when underway.

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post
                              mob in sydney rebuilt my mates one when he busted it over mt selwyn 10495895 km from anywhere (limped it to jindabyne with only 1st and 2nd working..)
                              they use 2010 or 2015 internals to make it stronger iirc
                              can find details if you need
                              That'd be handy.....thx.

Comment

Working...
                              X