X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Air Conditioning - VW Compressor

Guys,

I want to start planning a AC retrofit into my Datsun 510.

Does anyone know anything about these VW Electric AC compressors?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Original...frcectupt=true

Some kind of wiring diagram or service information would be magic. They seem like a suitable option.

Thanks

Tim

Following with interest.
    If they arenít CANBUS managed Iíd be shocked.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
      Following with interest.
      x2
      i've used the renncool units before (used for truck cabs)
      Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
      Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

I have been importing these, you might notice they look exactly like rencool units lol. The rencool units they market as 20,000 Btu are not close to that. They are about 7000 to 10,000 but seem to do well because you just run them flat stick instead of at idle half the time like a combustion engine compressor.

Issue with all of the electric vehicle compressors is they run at like 400 volts, great for them but not going to happen on your 12v system.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
        3D scanning
        3D modelling
        Structural certification
        3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Here is a good read up on them, looked at this a while ago.

https://www.vintageair.com/tech-topi...or-my-hot-rod/

TLTR; To run a compressor to cool your car like a engine driven one requires shitloads of amps @14v, hence why most are 400v in hybrids. Can run lower 3000-4000 BTU ones, might be ok in your 510.

Comment

Compressor and condenser packaging are the issues.

I don't have available front space to change the accessory drive on the front of the motor.

Comment

Cant run inline with the original belt setup?

Comment

It'll always be alternator dependant.

Once the alternator is upgraded, size up the correct compressor based on reserve current around the 2,000 RPM mark. Whatever BTU that gets you, is all you can have!

That ebay item is likely 400 VAC too, off the hybrid motor/alternator.

Being linear a 3000 BTU compressor will draw 83 A at 12 V but only 2.5 A at 400 V. That's why it only has a DTP sized plug on it (unless I can't see a bunch of post terminals elsewhere). Don't forget to budget load for fans.

I've wired a 3000 BTU compressor in to a 1200 ute in Townsville, and through summer it was OK still.
                Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

I understand current draw will be pretty high. I'm just looking at my options.

The engine has a single v-groove pulley which drives the alternator only at present. It may be possible to add a A/C compressor, but I wonder if a V belt will slip with those kinds of loads.

Comment

why has no one made an alternator and compressor in one. would solve so many issues.

how about driving the alt off the diff and mounting the compressor where the alt goes normally?
                    Originally posted by Marv
                    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Use a ps pump and aristo hydraulic motor on the ac compressor?
                      Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                      my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
                        why has no one made an alternator and compressor in one. would solve so many issues.

how about driving the alt off the diff and mounting the compressor where the alt goes normally?
                        I probably wouldn't get the alternator up the back easily.

Got anything internally from VW you could share?

Comment

Alternator off the diff is the world's shittest idea for a street car. Especially one that has a bit of current draw.
                          Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

How about a compressor with a twin groove pulley, with one groove driven from the crank and the second groove driving the alternator?
                            Originally posted by Marlin
                            Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

That could work. I totally agree a mechanical AC compressor is superior.

Comment

Working...
                              X