Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 Mazda MPV overheating - headgasket?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 Mazda MPV overheating - headgasket?

Hi all,

this car has had a history of being great and reliable until we took it off the road 6 months ago due to it not passing a roadworthy..got ourselves in a situation where I had to get under, sort it out to pass RWC and all appeared to be okish.

noipics was driving it and when it started heating - steam coming out of the overflow pipe and high temps was the only symptom though when we had ti checked out by th elocal mechanic for another issue, he noted that it looked like a coolant leak and to keep and eye on it.

Anyway car got hot, limped it home stopping every 5 minutes or less waiting for it to cool down.

This is what I did so far.

Checked hoses, couldn't see a leak anywhere as it saeems to be all escaping via the reservoir.
    Took out thermostat, haven't donw the test of putting it in boiling water yet as I have assignments to do.
    ran the car without the themostat - it still overheats.

Is there anything else I can do, anything that I have missed (I am sure there is)

it seemed to run fine and manage temp idling for 15 or so minutes, took it driving then overheats.

I am worried that it's a headgasket so this is just a matter of cashing in the rego again and then trying to sell it to a wreckers.

We are in a shit spot currently as the nopics is on 7 more weeks of full time clinical placement with varius shifts on the sunshine coast which is a 50 minute highway commute either way and I have no car to take the kids anywhere if there is an issue.

Any tips would be great any PF'ers on Bribie that could lend a hand would be much appreciated.

just checked thermostat - it appears to be in the stuck open position and boiliung water has no effect.

Comment

Leave the thermostat out for now just to take one variable out of the equation.

Does the water level in the radiator change as you rev the engine?
      Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Ok, at idle it seems to be okay, needle sits in the middle..

The Cooolant bottle level will change and I can see the steam com,ing out of the overflow pipe.

over a period of say 15 minutes or so the level in the reservior will go from Full to just below the Low line but stay there there is no radiator cap on this as far as I can see which seems to be a great idea.

So I can't see any leaks although there seems to be a bit under the thermostat housing but really not much, the majority seems to be coming out of the reservoir bottle.

Comment

Could just be the radiator cap (fitted to the overflow in the is case).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
          Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Yep, a shot radiator cap can cause your issue. That would be the first thing id replace.

Comment

it looks like some cheap arse china crap but the cap was new with the reservoir which was replaced as it had a crack. - only $15 or so to replace the cap so I can certainly do that.

Comment

ok, I replaced the china cap with what looks to be a much better tridon cap and too it for a 15 minute drive, no overheating.

When I got it back, popped the bonnet and there is a bit of steam coming from the overflow and within the coolant bottle heaps of churn within the bottle but I am not sure if that is normal as I've never noticed it before. Is having no thermostat the likely cause?

But it seems better and may just get us out of trouble..the next thing is a weird fluctuating/pulsing between 1000-1500rpms - which is a bit freaky coming into roundabouts. If I can get that sorted

Comment

Spoke too soon ean fine for a bit but started overheating again today. I have to drive for exams next week so that should be Interestng.

Any other thu gs to look at?

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Youíll find itís done a head gasket.
                    Fill the overflow bottle as full as it can go. Run the car with the cap off. . If thereís big bubbles coming up then it needs a head gasket.
                    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Yeah if it's heating up in cool weather and all the basics are sorted, it'll be a BHG. Could try chemiweld as a last ditch effort if the alternative is scrapping the car.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
                      Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...50ml/0468.html
                        Originally posted by Marlin
                        Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                          Youíll find itís done a head gasket.
                          Fill the overflow bottle as full as it can go. Run the car with the cap off. . If thereís big bubbles coming up then it needs a head gasket.
                          I'll try this tomorrow, worst possible time, nopics has to be on shift on the sunshine coast that day and I have to go do my exam and be back to pick up the kids.

Comment

Thanks guys, basiaclly I want the car to do this.

2 trips to the sunshine coast - 66 km each way? possible?

Comment

Possible but extremely high risk youíre going to be left stranded. I wouldnít recommend it.
                              Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                              my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Working...
                              X