X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubricating tyre valves?

Is this at all a Thing?
    Tyre joint couldn’t find my tyre leak coupla weeks ago; checked it coupla hours ago before driving, and after taking the gauge off the valve I could hear air lightly hissing out. Re-apply the gauge then remove it, hissing sound goes away.
    There’s obviously a sticky valve involved.

So, is it a Thing to lubricate the valve somehow?
    If so, with what?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Never heard of lubricating that part before.... If you don't have a dust cap, I suppose you could get grit etc that might jam up the schraeder valve. Squirt a bit of WD40 into the valve & give it a quick blast of air (at the servo) ???

Comment

Something silicon based I would assume..... is putting another valve in not viable ?

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Gotta have dat stem lube, winter is coming

https://m.imgur.com/r/TheSimpsons/lfklIFE

Comment

Might have had a small bit of dirt/debris between the valve core and the seat, when you put the gauge back on it got blown out and seated normally, with no leak.

No lube involved or required.

Comment

I've done it before with Inox lanolin spray. No problems yet.

Comment

If it's leaking, replace it.
              Originally posted by E-Z
              If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Comment

Take 50c out of your coin purse, and buy a new valve (will need a valve stem tool also).
                Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Everyone has to rub-in the fact that the world doesn't sell wallets with coin pockets!
                  :D

Never tried it before; fitting your own valve is a Thing, and you just need a relatively simple tool to do it?
                  No goo etc?
                  Any chance a fumble-fingered dufus would damage a wheel by Doing It Wrong?
                  It's not the first time the valve sticking has happened (while measuring or filling), and this tyre has been going down at about 2psi/week - Occam's Philishave suggests this is the cause.

I simply didn't consider replacing it because I didn't realise it was something you could do without all the dark magicks of a tyre machine (and hence the inconvenience of taking the car to a tyre place awash with such dark magicks).
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Don't need to remove the tyre to swap the cores. Takes about 5 seconds.
                    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...lve&lang=en_AU

Comment

Originally posted by R31t View Post
                      Don't need to remove the tyre to swap the cores. Takes about 5 seconds.
                      And best done with a compressor/tyre inflator available.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Wear safety glasses. Because Forg.
                        Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                        my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Or go to just about any tyre store and ask them to change the valve core as you have noticed it is leaking. Most will do it for nothing and probably check the pressure of your other tyres while at it. Those cores cost us about $0.14 each and we have buckets of used but perfectly serviceable ones just waiting to go to scrap metal merchants.
                          Radical SR3
                          HSV R8
                          BMW 325ti Proddy Car

Comment

Working...
                          X